Bugger, the LESS processing failed

Matt Raible

Oct 9, 2011, 3:32:03 PM10/9/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to use the Less module so I can leverage Twitter's Bootstrap in my project. I know I don't need Less, but I figured I'd try it anyway. When I use versions 0.2 or 0.3, I get the following error:

Bugger, the LESS processing failed:,
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.asual.lesscss.LessEngine.parseLessException(LessEngine.java:163)
at com.asual.lesscss.LessEngine.compile(LessEngine.java:104)
at play.modules.less.PlayLessEngine.compile(PlayLessEngine.java:94)
at play.modules.less.PlayLessEngine.get(PlayLessEngine.java:43)
at play.modules.less.Plugin.handleOk(Plugin.java:64)
at play.modules.less.Plugin.handleResponse(Plugin.java:49)
at play.modules.less.Plugin.serveStatic(Plugin.java:31)
at play.plugins.PluginCollection.serveStatic(PluginCollection.java:584)
at play.server.PlayHandler.serveStatic(PlayHandler.java:765)
at play.server.PlayHandler$NettyInvocation.init(PlayHandler.java:179)
at play.Invoker$Invocation.run(Invoker.java:263)
at play.server.PlayHandler$NettyInvocation.run(PlayHandler.java:200)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$301(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:98)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:206)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

I also have the CoffeeScript module installed in my Play 1.2.3 project. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Raible

Oct 11, 2011, 10:27:12 AM10/11/11
to play-framework
This happens with the GreenScript plugin as well. If I use a
simpler .less file, it works. So I'm guessing there's something
different b/w Twitter's Less authoring and the compilers that Play
modules use.

Is there source code available for the less module? I'd like to see if
I can add more information to compilation errors, like line numbers
and such.

On Oct 9, 1:32 pm, Matt Raible <mrai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use theLessmodule so I can leverage Twitter's Bootstrap in my project. I know I don't needLess, but I figured I'd try it anyway. When I use versions 0.2 or 0.3, I get the following error:
>
> Bugger, theLESSprocessing failed:,

scott clasen

Oct 11, 2011, 1:49:15 PM10/11/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Ive seen this if you try and hit a .less page directly first, without hitting a play view, some buggyness with init order i guess.

Try hitting a view, then your less, if in fact you were just hitting the .less directly first

green

Oct 11, 2011, 7:36:37 PM10/11/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
should be caused by the rhino engine version problem. Can you send out your dependencies.yml file and all the jar files in your app lib folder?

Erik Bakker

Oct 12, 2011, 12:16:57 PM10/12/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
> I also have the CoffeeScript module installed in my Play 1.2.3 project.
> Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Yes, the Rhino engine in the Less module is incompatible with the Rhino
engine in the coffeescript module. You can install less module 0.3-compat
to resolve this. See the docs for more info :)

Regards,

Erik

Matt Raible

Oct 12, 2011, 12:35:09 PM10/12/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I saw the 0.3.compatiblity link, but didn't understand that was a version number. ;-)

Changing my dependencies.yml from:

- play -> less 0.3

- play -> less 0.3.compatibility

Allows me to use Twitter's bootstrap.less in my project.

Thanks!

hyder

Oct 14, 2011, 4:13:46 AM10/14/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I understand this. Can you elaborate a little bit please?

scott clasen

Oct 14, 2011, 2:53:49 PM10/14/11
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
When testing out less processing in play I have seen it blow up if I start the play app and hit http://localhost:localport/some/file.less   without visiting any other url.