Play 2.0 on Google AppEngine

ninjauser

Apr 17, 2012, 11:41:52 AM4/17/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

I'd like to know if Play 2.0 currently supports deployments on Google AppEngine, or if there are plans to support it in the future.

As far as I could learn, Play 1.0 worked great on GAE.

I want to use Play as I think it's a great framework, but I don't think it'd be wise to start a new Play 1.0 project.

Best,

Tom Carchrae

Apr 17, 2012, 4:25:06 PM4/17/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Play 1.x is just fine for starting a project. It might be argued it
is a safer choice at the moment, because Play 2.0 is so fresh.

If you want to use GAE you'll need to use Play 1.x at the moment.
It's not clear Play 2.0 will ever work on the restricted environment
of GAE.

Pascal Voitot Dev

Apr 17, 2012, 5:34:17 PM4/17/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes it's true, we don't know yet if Play2 can work in GAE due to asynchronous features and actor support.
GAE API is quite restricted actually and so tied to Servlet API that it's really hard to be sure.

It would need lots of work for an uncertain result for the time being...

Pascal

Pascal Voitot Dev

Nov 12, 2012, 2:42:36 AM11/12/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes Play2 uses Akka.
The main GAE limitation with respect to Play2 is the servlet API on which the whole GAE SDK relies.

Pascal

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 5:47 AM, Marcus Beyer <marcus...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Regarding actors, is Play2 using Akka? I understand that Akka can run on a single thread.

see also

Am Dienstag, 17. April 2012 23:34:17 UTC+2 schrieb Pascal:
Yes it's true, we don't know yet if Play2 can work in GAE due to asynchronous features and actor support.
GAE API is quite restricted actually and so tied to Servlet API that it's really hard to be sure.

It would need lots of work for an uncertain result for the time being...

Pascal

Damien Lecan

Jan 17, 2013, 10:37:22 AM1/17/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
As far I know, Akka 2.1 still doesn't work on GAE.

Despite Play2war plugin which allows to deploy Play2 apps in servlet
containers, GAE doesn't support 3.0 servlet, which is really required
to have decent performances.

Damien

2013/1/13 Danny <danny...@gmail.com>:
> fast forward 8 months (or so) and the Play 2.1-RC2.
> Is GAE supported with Play 2.1 and if not, have the plans to support it been
> dropped going forward?
> thanks,
> Danny

Danny

Jan 17, 2013, 5:06:53 PM1/17/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Damien,

I'm guessing that unless GAE lines up for full servlet support (unlikely) that we will never see Play apps support on GAE - at least not unless GAE becomes VERY popular and Play has motivation for a custom GAE module release after release.

Patrick Chanezon

Jan 17, 2013, 1:06:09 PM1/17/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Cloud Foundry has native support for Play 2.0, if your application's requirements  can accomodate the limits in place for the beta (2 Gb RAM, limited size databases, no domain mapping yet).

Patrick Chanezon
Senior Director, Developer Relations, VMware

Damien Lecan

Jan 18, 2013, 5:32:37 AM1/18/13
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
> I'm guessing that unless GAE lines up for full servlet support (unlikely)
> that we will never see Play apps support on GAE - at least not unless GAE
> becomes VERY popular and Play has motivation for a custom GAE module release
> after release.

GAE is already very popular, but is a limited Java platform.
Servlet 3.0, which is a key point to see Play2War applications on GAE,
will probably be available on GAE in 2013:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/features#Roadmap_Features
This is a good news.

However, Akka still doesn't work on GAE, until someone adapt it to GAE
(threading issues). But I don't even know if that is possible ...

Typesafe/Zenexity are not really insterested by Servlet container.
They have their own native Play deployment model, which works now on
many other PaaS platforms: Openshift, Heroku, Cloudfoundry,
Cloudbees...
So why investing in (old) servlet model ?

Damien