[1.2.4] attention to pull requests?

Camille Fournier

Jan 17, 2012, 4:50:35 PM1/17/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We've been using play for a bit now and mostly enjoying it. But I'm beginning to feel concerned about the lack of response to pull requests that the dev team seems to present. I created one, with tests, quite a while ago for a simple bug fix (https://github.com/playframework/play/pull/392) and despite asking there and on the associated ticket, I haven't heard a peep. I see tickets like this:

https://play.lighthouseapp.com/projects/57987/tickets/972-download-sources-of-the-dependencies

with several community +1s and outstanding pull requests from September with no action. What's the deal? Are you ever going to look into these issues?

Thanks,
Camille

Dominik Dorn

Jan 18, 2012, 4:58:42 PM1/18/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
They're probably busy finalizing Play 2.0 ... AFAIK an RC should be
available around the
end of the month, so time is quite limited.

> --

Dominik Dorn
http://dominikdorn.com
http://twitter.com/domdorn

Skripten, Mitschriften, Lernunterlagen, etc. findest Du auf
http://www.studyguru.eu !

Guillaume Bort

Jan 18, 2012, 5:20:36 PM1/18/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
Yes I know.

First that's true we are currently really busy with finishing the 2.0
first release.

And also we are literally flooded by pull requests. For Play 1.2.x
only bug fixes will be accepted. But unfortunately most of the pull
requests we receive are features, and as we wrote in the documentation
draft for the next version:

A framework needs to fit the majority of cases, and can never cater
for every situation: features that are absolutely essential to one
team, will be redundant bloat to another. Additionally, any code that
is merged into Play needs to be supported for a long long time. Adding
support for something means maintaining, testing, and updating the
related code throughout the framework's life - which requires
resources from other parts of the project.

https://github.com/playframework/Play20/wiki/Pullrequests

Now, I don't say that yours shouldn't be integrated. Just that good
pull requests are lost into bad ones, and that it requires a lot of
time to review all this stuff.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Camille Fournier <cam...@apache.org> wrote:

> --

Guillaume Bort

Camille Fournier

Jan 19, 2012, 10:43:56 AM1/19/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
I definitely have a lot of sympathy for the challenge of managing community contributions, being an OS developer myself. But it would be nice if there was at least a response when people ask questions on tickets or pull requests. Ignoring squeaky wheels makes you seem uninterested in the community.

I am a little concerned that 1.2.X seems so neglected. I was under the impression after talking to one of your developers that it would be actively supported, but right now it doesn't much feel that way. Perhaps you should actually open 1.2.X up to a community model of development, if there is interest from people currently using it.

Nicolas Leroux - committer

Mar 9, 2012, 2:55:30 PM3/9/12
to play-fr...@googlegroups.com
1.2.x is not neglected but is more victim of his success. We are all working on customers project and as much as I would like to work 100% on play I can not. We tried different sort of things to have more people involved but it did not work. If we were to have a successful business model with play 1.2.x that would be a whole different game. Truth is that it is really hard to live from an open source web  framework, so till we find a solution, play 1.2.x will go at his own rhythm.

Nicolas

--
Guillaume Bort