pinguino news

jp mandon

May 23, 2011, 11:29:07 AM5/23/11
to Pinguino
Hi Guys

The next pinguino release is now in beta test ( Pinguino32X ). We spent a lot of time to make it better for 8 bits systems and compatible with 32 bits boards.
Even if some things need to be improved for the 32 bits boards, we decided to ask for beta testers now.
Maybe you know that Digilent launched the last week end an arduino compatible board with a PIC32. The IDE is built with the Arduino IDE and the developers incorporated a compiler ( unfortunately without the source ) to work with this new board.
The PIC32-PINGUINO designed by OLIMEX is our main development board and it's time to compare those tools:

Chipkit uno32 ( end user price 26,95$ )

PIC32MX320F128
128k flash
16k SRAM
80 MIPS
Arduino UNO design
USB: No ( on board FTDI converter )
POWER SUPPLY: standart

PIC32-PINGUINO ( end user price 24,90€ )

PIC32MX440F256H
256k flash
32k SRAM
80 MIPS
Arduino UNO design
USB: YES ( device and OTG without power management )
POWER SUPPLY: industrial, noiseless, onboard LiPo charger
CONNECTOR: UEXT Connector for SPI/I2C modules ( WIFI, Zigbee )

Chipkit IDE

compiler: GCC4.5.1 ( modified version without source, with C++ support )
Libraries: Microchip peripheral libraries, libc ( mips based ), wiring
IDE: Arduino java based

Pinguino32X IDE

compiler: GCC4.5.2 ( standart version, can be built from source, without C++ support now )
Libraries: peripheral developed by the pinguino community, newlib with low level compatible with Pinguino libraries
IDE: Python

Pinguino32X is already available for linux on our SVN. We are packaging the windows version.
Revision 126 is available here: http://code.google.com/p/pinguino32/downloads/list
and you can check the SVN to download the latest version for linux:
svn checkout http://pinguino32.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/linux
or for windows:
svn checkout http://pinguino32.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/windows

To install and configure the IDE for 32 bits: http://code.google.com/p/pinguino32/wiki/Pinguino32Xconfigurationandinstallation

The board is available on pinguino website: http://shop.pinguino.cc
This one should be distributed soon by OLIMEX distributors.

What can you already do with Pinguino32 ?

digital Input Output
analog Input Output
PWM
Serial
I2C
SPI
CDC
all the standart C libraries ( string, stdlib etc... ) Stdio is currently under development.

What is planned ?

SD-CARD ( quite finished )
Sound ( support of a FLAC decoder )
Basic ( Tiny Basic is under development )

C++ support: the compiler is ready, we are working on the wiring libraries.

What about the 8 bits boards in Pinguino ?

8 bits is still under development. We want to keep this tool chain up to date and the Pinguino32X release has a lot of new improvement for compatibility with Arduino libraries.

What about the website ?

www.pinguino.cc is now our main support to speak about Pinguino.

What is the future of Pinguino ?

The goal of Pinguino is to be a multi-board tool. We want to keep this specificity and continue to develop 8 bits boards because they can be built in 'your garage'. The 32 bits IDE is compatible with a lot of 32 bits boards ( PIC32-PINGUINO, PIC32-PINGUINO-OTG, EMPEROR460, EMPEROR795, UBW32-460,UBW32-795, PIC32 minimal board from Marcus Fazzi ) and this compatibility will be insured in the future. Maybe this list will be extended.
We want to keep this project as a real Open Source project, both for the software and the hardware part. So even if it's a hard work, we try to write ourselves all the low level libraries and use an open source C library ( newlib is used in Pinguino ).

Thanks to all the contributors of this group, the developers of the project. Pinguino is now a team and everybody is welcomed to help us.

All suggestions, bug reports are welcomed for this new release.

Cheers
Jean-Pierre

Ali Moreno

May 23, 2011, 8:22:33 PM5/23/11
to pingui...@googlegroups.com
Excelent news JP, thanks to all team!

--
Ali Moreno
Blog: http://r3c4ll.blogspot.com

jorge escalona

May 23, 2011, 9:05:32 PM5/23/11
to pingui...@googlegroups.com, esca...@gmail.com
No doubt great news especially for the integration to support I2C and SPIcommunication modules and ZigBee WIFI greetings from Venezuela and thecommunity PinguinoVE

2011/5/23 Ali Moreno <alim...@gmail.com>

--
Jorge Escalona

esca...@gmail.com
jorgem...@hotmail.com
Linux user number 526928

funlw65

May 23, 2011, 9:17:55 PM5/23/11
to Pinguino
mpide (chipkit) is not working on Windows Vista and Ubuntu 10.10
(unable to test it, though the idea of using a C++ instead of a
special C parser seems good).

Interesting to see that there will be a Basic interpreter for
Pinguino32X. Maybe is better to use the same Basic interpreter (open
source) as in Maximite boards:
http://geoffg.net/maximite.html

Didn't know they do not include gcc sources... maybe they use
CodeSourcery G++ Lite with newlib:
http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/mips

heberth ardila

May 23, 2011, 10:33:25 PM5/23/11
to pingui...@googlegroups.com
vey, very nice.....

2011/5/23 funlw65 <fun...@gmail.com>
--
Vous recevez ce message, car vous êtes abonné au groupe Google Groupes Pinguino.
Pour envoyer un message à ce groupe, adressez un e-mail à pingui...@googlegroups.com.

heberth ardila...

Alexis Sanchez

May 23, 2011, 10:51:29 PM5/23/11
to pingui...@googlegroups.com
First congratulations this is a breakthrough, in a few weeks I will be
orderly one for me, I require for my final in my career as an
electronics engineer, I need to make a chair inverted pendulum (as
segway but for people who can not move his legs )

I have some questions.. about PIC32-PINGUINO boards

1) What is the differences between PIC32-PINGUINO and PIC32-PINGUINO-OGT

2) How many pin I/O are enabled in this board, how many capture
inputs, compare/PWM outputs, and Analog Comparators??

3) This board are eabled the 2 UART port of this pics, how i can
control this in the serial instruccions?

4) the RTCC are enabled? i see u add the crystal for this...

5) And finally... How many days take the shipping to Venezuela :D

--
Alexis Sanchez
0416-2584008

walterleonardo

May 24, 2011, 2:42:20 AM5/24/11
to pingui...@googlegroups.com
thx by the update....
But I think we need to focus more on features and less on the progress of the module ...we have a better hardware, but software and libraries are poor ... and the number of projects is very low ... please ... we need more projects ... and less hardware imnovatios ...
Please concentrate on only one thing ... We need more applications that work with penguins ... ... As soon as possible.

Greetings.

jp mandon

May 24, 2011, 2:56:50 AM5/24/11
to pingui...@googlegroups.com
@funlw65

I am going to take a look to the Maximite interpreter, thanks for the link.
The chipkit compiler seems to be built from source. g++ --version gave 'chipKit compiler' and Code sourcery lite is built with newlib.

@Alexis

1/ PIC32-PINGUINO-OTG can receive SD-CARD ( a mini SD-CARD holder is incorporated at the bottom of the board ). This SD-CARD reader is wired on the SPI channel.
The current on the USB power line is managed as described in the USB specifications ( for USB Host ).

2/  22 I/O on header connector ( 8 analog input )
12 supplementary I/O on the expansion connector
UART 1 is wired on header connector
UART 2 is wired on UEXT connector ( HE10 )
3 PWM output on header connector
SPI both on the UEXT and on the header connector
RTCC not enabled by default.

3/ Serial.c library is OK for the 2 UART ( Pinguino Serial is used on UART1 ), RX buffers are managed by interruptions for the both UART.

4/ RTCC isn't enabled by default but Regis wrote a library to work with the RTCC module.

5/ I don't know how long could be the shipping to Venezuela, but I think it should take 1 week.

Can you tell me what sort of motors do you use for your 'segway' ?

JP

funlw65

May 24, 2011, 1:22:53 PM5/24/11
to Pinguino
Maximite board make waves in Australia and there are hundreds of
people on the waiting lists to get one (supply is a problem yet).
Specially because of that nice MMBasic interpreter and USB and SD-Card
support. Because in Australia (also USA and UK) PICAXE is in vogue,
Maximite is seen as a much better PICAXE in terms of both usage and
performance - a must have board for all senior hobbyists involved in
home automation and renewable energy. It can be in Pinguino32X's
advantage (and OLIMEX board too) but you guys have to move fast.

Vasi
> 2011/5/24 Alexis Sanchez <aasanc...@gmail.com>
>
> > First congratulations this is a breakthrough, in a few weeks I will be
> > orderly one for me, I require for my final in my career as an
> > electronics engineer, I need to make a chair inverted pendulum (as
> > segway but for people who can not move his legs )
>
> > I have some questions.. about PIC32-PINGUINO boards
>
> > 1) What is the differences between PIC32-PINGUINO and PIC32-PINGUINO-OGT
>
> > 2) How many pin I/O are enabled in this board, how many capture
> > inputs, compare/PWM outputs, and Analog Comparators??
>
> > 3) This board are eabled the 2 UART port of this pics, how i can
> > control this in the serial instruccions?
>
> > 4) the RTCC are enabled? i see u add the crystal for this...
>
> > 5) And finally... How many days take the shipping to Venezuela :D
>
> > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM, heberth ardila
> > <heberthard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > vey, very nice.....

Ober

May 24, 2011, 9:58:28 PM5/24/11
to Pinguino
Good to hear that! Keep it on!

> read more »

funlw65

May 25, 2011, 12:32:21 AM5/25/11
to Pinguino
Hi Jean-Pierre,

I found the sources of the chipkit compiler:
https://github.com/chipKIT32/cxx