Zynga Mafia Wars Mobile built on PhoneGap

David Orchard

Jan 27, 2011, 12:23:07 AM1/27/11
to phonegap
At the facebook building with HTML5 talk tonight, the Zynga Mobile CTO said they use PhoneGap/HTML5 to build their new cross platform Mafia Wars Mobile Game.  He said HTML5 is as good as Native unless under a microscope.  Don't go back to Native, use HTML5 even if problems.  First 2 questions were on PhoneGap too. One was asking about Titanium (which he didn't answer much).

Nice validation.

Cheers,
Dave

Sam

Jan 27, 2011, 9:32:49 AM1/27/11
to phonegap
That's great. Awesome endorsement that! This will be really useful
when talking to clients about PhoneGap vs native :-)

Thanks for sharing. Watching the talk now at http://apps.facebook.com/facebooklive/

- Sam
--
http://twitter.com/samcroft

Andre Charland

Jan 27, 2011, 3:17:42 PM1/27/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I think the talk specific URL is here too:
http://www.livestream.com/facebookeducation/video?clipId=pla_98824c1a-a2e1-4831-9b9e-c5cd23f5d8eb&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb

and here's itunes link to the app:
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/mafia-wars-by-zynga/id305904856?mt=8

Andre.

--
André Charland
President and Co-Founder, Nitobi

David Orchard

Jan 27, 2011, 3:57:26 PM1/27/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that's actually the game they are talking about.  It was last updated in July.  The .ipa has all nibs in it, no www directory.  And there's no android version.  I think that they may be releasing on iOS and Android soon and this is part of an announcement of upcoming product.

Cheers,
Dave

Andre Charland

Jan 27, 2011, 5:12:31 PM1/27/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com
ah gotcha! thanks for the clarification and heads up David.

Giacomo Balli

Jan 28, 2011, 4:34:59 AM1/28/11
to phonegap
the game is here: http://m.mafiawars.com
nice video, thanks for posting!

On Jan 27, 11:12 pm, Andre Charland <andre.charl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ah gotcha! thanks for the clarification and heads up David.
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM, David Orchard
>

> <orch...@pacificspirit.com> wrote:
> > I don't think that's actually the game they are talking about.  It was last
> > updated in July.  The .ipa has all nibs in it, no www directory.  And
> > there's no android version.  I think that they may be releasing on iOS and
> > Android soon and this is part of an announcement of upcoming product.
> > Cheers,
> > Dave
>
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Andre Charland <andre.charl...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> I think the talk specific URL is here too:
>
> >>http://www.livestream.com/facebookeducation/video?clipId=pla_98824c1a...
>
> >> and here's itunes link to the app:
> >>http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/mafia-wars-by-zynga/id305904856?mt=8
>
> >> Andre.
>
> >> e. andre.charl...@gmail.com
> >> skype. ebadre
> >> b.http://blogs.nitobi.com/andre
> >> w.http://www.nitobi.com
>
> >> --
>
> >> For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go towww.phonegap.com
>
> > --
>
> > For more info on PhoneGap or to download the code go towww.phonegap.com
>
> --
> André Charland
> President and Co-Founder, Nitobi
> e. andre.charl...@gmail.com
> skype. ebadre
> b.http://blogs.nitobi.com/andre
> w.http://www.nitobi.com

Chris Bushell

Jan 29, 2011, 1:57:11 AM1/29/11
to phonegap
I'm a little confused. Having watched the video, I understand that
they used a modified version of phonegap as a "shim" to get their app
onto the handsets. However, I don't find the app in the app store -
the only mafia wars game is the July 2010 release, but the game talked
about in the video is definitely http://m.mafiawars.com. But it seems
only to be available from a browser, not as a native/phonegap app. Can
anyone shed some more light on this story?

Chris.

Jesse

Jan 29, 2011, 2:13:18 AM1/29/11
to phon...@googlegroups.com, phonegap
I don't think apple has approved it yet.
Probably on the other stores though.

Sent from my iPhone