junctions and autothreading

Amir E. Aharoni

Aug 21, 2006, 4:18:14 AM8/21/06
to perl6-users
My study of Perl 6 has been rather sporadic until now, but i'm
starting to catch up.

Here's a question:

I've seen the matter of "autothreading" mentioned in various places,
usually together with junctions. It seems like a neat idea, thread
safety concerns notwithstanding. Searching the mailing lists archives,
i found that there were heated debates about it months ago on
perl6-language ( http://xrl.us/e77x ).

What is its status now? Is it/Will it be implemented? Will it be the
default? Is it still hotly debated?

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni, http://aharoni.blogspot.com/
"We're living in pieces,

Conrad Schneiker

Aug 22, 2006, 2:58:55 AM8/22/06
to Amir E. Aharoni, perl6-users
> From: Amir E. Aharoni [mailto:amir.a...@gmail.com]

> I've seen the matter of "autothreading" mentioned in various places,
> usually together with junctions. It seems like a neat idea, thread
> safety concerns notwithstanding. Searching the mailing lists archives,
> i found that there were heated debates about it months ago on
> perl6-language ( http://xrl.us/e77x ).
>
> What is its status now? Is it/Will it be implemented? Will it be the
> default? Is it still hotly debated?

I don't know, but here's another interesting place (#perl6 IRC search page)
that sometimes turns up additional interesting info (although not much this
time):

http://colabti.de/irclogger/irclogger_log_search/perl6

FYI, searching on "autothreading" gives:

Results:

2006-08-10,Thu
1523 [14:02] <gaal> what, your shell doesn't have autothreading?

2006-07-04,Tue
558 [16:52] <stevan> putter: it would almost certainly involve junctive
autothreading

2006-03-15,Wed
95 [00:31] <TimToady> autothreading happens <mystical handwaving>
99 [00:33] <LeTo> and autothreading is or course useful, if e.g. you got
some spare CPUs to do it, but how?
107 [00:40] <LeTo> TimToady: I see the future PC having a lot of CPUs (my
shiny new Athlon X2 got 2 already), having just more M^HGhz tendency is
already stopped, the 'autothreading' or whatever parallel construct should
consider this

[...]

Best regards,
Conrad Schneiker