'make rsync' failing - required anyway?

Paul Cochrane

Oct 30, 2006, 10:24:27 AM10/30/06
to parrot-...@perl.org
Hi all,

I was having a dig through config/gen/makefiles/root.in recently and I
came across the following:

<clip>
# Is this still working ?
rsync :
rsync -av cvs.perl.org::parrot-HEAD $(CUR_DIR)
</clip>

and thought I'd check it out. Unfortunately, the make target doesn't
work. Here's the error output I get:

$ make rsync
rsync -av cvs.perl.org::parrot-HEAD .
@ERROR: chroot failed
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at
main.c(1296) [receiver=2.6.8]
make: *** [rsync] Error 5

After a bit of googling, I found the following tidbit of info from
www.techbytes.ca:

<clip>
@ERROR: chroot failed - rsync

We encountered this error while setting up an rsync mirror between two
systems. We were using the rsync daemon on one system and pulling
information over to another system.

@ERROR: chroot failed

We received this error when there was a typo in the path to the data
folder on the system running the rsync daemon. We corrected this typo
in our /etc/rsyncd.conf file and the error went away.

While researching this issue we found that the problem could also be
that the user the rsync daemon is running as does not have the
required permission to access the data. If the data is shared as
read-only, the user rsyncd is running as must have execute permission
on the directory and read permission on all the files.
</clip>

So, it seems either that the path is incorrect, or that the daemon
(which may or may not be running) hasn't got the right permissions
anymore, and this make target might be still trying to point to the
old cvs repository of parrot, and not the svn repository (I'm not sure
either way).

Do we want to keep this make target? If so, then could someone check
the paths, daemons, permissions etc to see what's happening and
correct it please? (being a minion I don't have such privs). If we
don't want the target then I can patch the file to remove the target
and its documentation. I'm not sure if anyone uses this target, (I
don't, and didn't when I was just a lurker) so it's difficult to gauge
the utility of the target. However, the parrot website mentions using
rsync to grab the parrot source for smoke testing, so maybe it's a
good idea to keep the target around.

Ideas?

Regards,

Paul

Paul Cochrane

Oct 31, 2006, 11:22:28 AM10/31/06
to parrot-...@perl.org
This message didn't appear on the list, so am forwarding it on.

Paul