[perl #41896] [BUG] p5rx tests consuming infinite resources on win32

1 view

Jerry Gay

Mar 18, 2007, 1:06:20 PM3/18/07
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Jerry Gay
# Please include the string: [perl #41896]

at r17619, i'm unable to run make test, due to failures in p5rx tests.
actually, none of them are failing, but my system becomes
non-responsive. after approximately test 200, tests (and there are
over 900) take a few seconds each to complete, and each one uses more
and more memory. at over 125MB, and 100% cpu, i can do little but kill
the process. this means that the harness dies, and i can't complete
'make test'.

i suspect a string gc problem. in the meantime, i'm turning on -G
locally so i can run the rest of the tests. although it uses 170+MB
even with -G, the test completes, and does so in 12s. if there's no
other solution pre-release, i'll commit this change.
~jerry

Chromatic

Mar 18, 2007, 1:30:42 PM3/18/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org, Jerry Gay
On Sunday 18 March 2007 10:06, Jerry Gay wrote:

> at r17619, i'm unable to run make test, due to failures in p5rx tests.
> actually, none of them are failing, but my system becomes
> non-responsive. after approximately test 200, tests (and there are
> over 900) take a few seconds each to complete, and each one uses more
> and more memory. at over 125MB, and 100% cpu, i can do little but kill
> the process. this means that the harness dies, and i can't complete
> 'make test'.
>
> i suspect a string gc problem.

A GC problem might explain the STM test failure too. Do you see that? If so,
is it possible to do a binary search to figure out which checkin caused (or
revealed) these failures?

-- c

Jerry Gay

Mar 19, 2007, 12:01:17 PM3/19/07
to chromatic, perl6-i...@perl.org, via RT Jerry Gay
sorry, no. stm tests are disabled on windows, since threading support
there is broken.
~jerry

Jerry Gay

Mar 19, 2007, 7:15:30 PM3/19/07
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org, p2
On 3/18/07, jerry gay <jerr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> at r17619, i'm unable to run make test, due to failures in p5rx tests.
> actually, none of them are failing, but my system becomes
> non-responsive. after approximately test 200, tests (and there are
> over 900) take a few seconds each to complete, and each one uses more
> and more memory. at over 125MB, and 100% cpu, i can do little but kill
> the process. this means that the harness dies, and i can't complete
> 'make test'.
>
> i suspect a string gc problem. in the meantime, i'm turning on -G
> locally so i can run the rest of the tests. although it uses 170+MB
> even with -G, the test completes, and does so in 12s. if there's no
> other solution pre-release, i'll commit this change.

since there has not been a solution, i've committed the -G as r17649
so the windows port of 0.4.10 doesn't crash and burn.
~jerry