Parrot::Embed 0.01

Chromatic

Jul 20, 2006, 4:46:34 AM7/20/06
to parrot-...@perl.org
Hi all,

I've bundled up Parrot::Embed into something releasable:

http://wgz.org/chromatic/perl/Parrot-Embed.tar.gz

To build and pass the tests, you must have the parrot executable in your path
and you must have libparrot (or whatever it is on your platform) in your
loadable object path. (I set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Linux.)

I'd like to check this in to the Parrot repository for three reasons. First,
it's nice to have a public repository. Second, it's a good test of the
extending interface, especially when there are changes that could break
things. Third, it'd be really nifty to use this in Parrot::Test for a faster
test suite. (It very nearly works for that. I just need to write a new IO
layer.)

I'm not sure how to package this up for inclusion in the source, however. I'd
like to have it built by default (which means probably switching to EU::MM,
which I can live with) and tested by default (which also means generating the
one PBC file for testing from the Makefile somehow). It requires putting the
files in the tarball in other locations, probably, and it may be worth
installing on the user's system along with Parrot. Maybe not.

I do think it's useful however.

I'll also write up some thoughts on embedding and extension, based on what
I've learned so far and what I'd like to do.

(Yes, there is a Ruby version too. No, you can't see it yet.)

-- c