Libraries, dynpmc and Visual C++

Ron Blaschke

Sep 12, 2006, 12:27:41 PM9/12/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
This is on trunk, revision 14585, using Windows XP and Visual C++.

I have GDBM available as "gdbm.lib" which is successfully tested for in
config/auto/gdbm.pm.

Determining if your platform supports gdbm...
gdbm is working.
(yes) .........................done.

For some reason this library list is rewritten in tools/build/dynpmc.pl

if ($^O eq 'MSWin32') {
my %newlibs = ();
$newlibs{"lib$_"} = $libs{$_} for keys %libs;
%libs = %newlibs;
}

Leading to the following error message while linking "gdbmhash.dll."

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libgdbm.lib'

Looking at the tests in config/auto/gdbm.pm I'd guess adding the "lib"
prefix is done for GCC on Windows. If so, the condition should probably
read something like "$^O eq 'MSWin32' && $CC =~ /^gcc/i". That way the
build seems fine again on Windows XP and Visual C++.

Ron

Will Coleda

Sep 12, 2006, 12:37:46 PM9/12/06
to Ron Blaschke, perl6-i...@perl.org
Applied as r14586.

Jerry Gay was having a similar issue yesterday.

Anyone with gcc on win32 care to verify it works for them still?

Some of this duplicate (or disparate) build logic will hopefully go
away as the build system gets cleaned up in the coming weeks.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda
wi...@coleda.com

Ron Blaschke

Sep 12, 2006, 1:01:27 PM9/12/06
to Will Coleda, perl6-i...@perl.org
Will Coleda wrote:
> Applied as r14586.
>
> Jerry Gay was having a similar issue yesterday.
>
> Anyone with gcc on win32 care to verify it works for them still?
>
> Some of this duplicate (or disparate) build logic will hopefully go away
> as the build system gets cleaned up in the coming weeks.

Thanks! Parrot smokes well on Windows XP and Visual C++ again.

5488 OK from 5499 tests (99.80% ok)

Ron