[perl #41975] Makefile is missing dependencies on lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMETHODs.pm

Andy Dougherty

Mar 22, 2007, 9:14:54 AM3/22/07
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Andy Dougherty
# Please include the string: [perl #41975]

I had to fix lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMETHODS.pm in order to get parrot to
compile. However, after fixing it, typing 'make' doesn't regenerate the
necessary files. There are missing dependencies. The workaround is to do
some sort of 'make clean' and do a lot of unnecessary rebuilds.

--
Andy Dougherty doug...@lafayette.edu

Chromatic

Apr 27, 2007, 3:28:53 PM4/27/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org, Andy Dougherty, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
On Thursday 22 March 2007 06:14, Andy Dougherty wrote:

> I had to fix lib/Parrot/Pmc2c/PMETHODS.pm in order to get parrot to
> compile. However, after fixing it, typing 'make' doesn't regenerate the
> necessary files. There are missing dependencies. The workaround is to do
> some sort of 'make clean' and do a lot of unnecessary rebuilds.

If the inter-PMC dependencies are okay, it looks like we need to set the
dependencies appropriately on:

$ grep -l PCCMETHOD src/pmc/*.pmc
src/pmc/class.pmc
src/pmc/exporter.pmc
src/pmc/namespace.pmc
src/pmc/pccmethod_test.pmc
src/pmc/role.pmc
src/pmc/smop_attribute.pmc
src/pmc/smop_class.pmc

Is it worth having a test to see if every PMC with a PCCMETHOD marks the
dependency appropriately?

-- c

Jerry Gay

Apr 27, 2007, 3:33:44 PM4/27/07
to chromatic, perl6-i...@perl.org, via RT Andy Dougherty, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
yes! you certainly can't rely us to mark the dependencies on our own,
given that long list of pmc's.
~jerry

Chromatic

Apr 29, 2007, 2:45:32 AM4/29/07
to jerry gay, perl6-i...@perl.org, via RT Andy Dougherty, bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org

Here's the barest test file I could make that seems to do the trick.

-- c

pccmethod_deps.t