Dumb Configure.pl question

Mark J. Reed

Aug 25, 2006, 10:40:51 AM8/25/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
I'm trying to build parrot on OS X 10.3. It gets as afar as
"Determining if your C compiler is actually gcc..." and then fails a
link test. It turns out that it's failing because it is trying to use
"c++" to do the linking.

Any idea why? It's using $link, not $cxx, and I haven't found an
assignment $link = $cxx anywhere in config/init, but I haven't done
any deep diving yet. I know that some things are built with C++ but
using it for all the linking seems like bloat waiting to happen.
There is no mention whatsoever of c++ in my Perl5 config, so it's not
coming from there...

Anyway, the reason C++ isn't linking is that it needs some libraries
that aren't included in the Perl5 $libs, and I can't figure out how to
get Configure.pl to add to that. I would expect it to honor LDFLAGS
or LIBPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH or something...

--
Mark J. Reed <mark...@mail.com>

Will Coleda

Aug 25, 2006, 10:49:20 AM8/25/06
to Mark J. Reed, perl6-i...@perl.org
I know C++ is needed for linking because of ICU. I can't address your
concerns about using it "for all the linking" though.

Whatever the actual program doing the linking is should still respect
whatever env vars control its behavior, but you can override all
these settings via arguments to Configure, if you're not using ICU.

A snippet from perl Configure.pl --help:

--cc=(compiler) Use the given compiler
--ccflags=(flags) Use the given compiler flags
--ccwarn=(flags) Use the given compiler warning flags
--cxx=(compiler) Use the given C++ compiler
--libs=(libs) Use the given libraries
--link=(linker) Use the given linker
--linkflags=(flags) Use the given linker flags
--ld=(linker) Use the given loader for shared libraries
--ldflags=(flags) Use the given loader flags for shared libraries
--lex=(lexer) Use the given lexical analyzer generator
--yacc=(parser) Use the given parser generator

Hope this helps.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda
wi...@coleda.com