[perl #38969] [CAGE] parrot source does not conform to standards

Paul Cochrane via RT

Mar 19, 2007, 12:31:00 PM3/19/07
to perl6-i...@perl.org
On Mon Apr 24 12:57:16 2006, jerr...@gmail.com wrote:
> running `per tools/dev/check_source_standards.pl` is disheartening, as
> there are thousands upon thousands of source standards exceptions.
>
> this is likely a combination of three things:
> 1) the standards (docs/pdds/clip/pdd07_codingstd.pod) is out-of-date
> wrt reality
> 2) the script is out-of-date wrt standards
> 3) the parrot coders are *really* sloppy wrt standards, or are not
> paying careful attention to them
>
> there are a few things that must be done to address this:
> 1) make sure the standards reflect reality
> addressed by the design team, by reviewing and approving the
> coding standard doc
>
> 2) make sure the script reflects the standards
> this can be fixed by anybody who can read english and C, and write
> perl
>
> 3) make sure parrot coders are mindful of the standard
> this can be fixed by running this script regularly, and generating
> an RT ticket with the results. svn can subsequently be used to blame
> the committers at fault :)
>
> ~jerry

The script tools/dev/check_source_standards.pl now (as of r17637) only
contains a test of the MANIFEST (the script also doesn't currently
work). I believe all tests which used to be part of this file are now
in t/codingstd and therefore this script can be renamed to something
more appropriate to what it does, or deleted. This ticket can then be
close.

What is the opinion as to what should be done with the script?

Paul

Jerry Gay

Mar 19, 2007, 7:00:09 PM3/19/07
to parrotbug...@parrotcode.org, perl6-i...@perl.org
it's contained in the comments of this ticket:
http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=39824
~jerry

Jerry Gay

Oct 18, 2007, 4:18:01 PM10/18/07
On 10/18/07, Paul Cochrane via RT <parrotbug...@parrotcode.org> wrote:
> > http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=39824
>
> Since the above ticket has now been resolved, does this mean that this
> ticket can also be resolved?

yes, i believe we've addressed all the points in this ticket well
enough to resolve it.
hurrah for the cage cleaners!
~jerry

Paul Cochrane via RT