Two new pdds

Leopold Toetsch

Sep 27, 2006, 3:57:37 PM9/27/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
Hi folks,

There are 2 new docs in docs/pdds/clip now (r14774):

1) pddXX_pmc.pod

2) pddXX_cstruct.pod

I'll start with 2) first: it'll be the metaclass of all (publically
accessible, C-derived) structures used in Parrot, it'll be the Class PMC of
PMC based objects therefore. As a PMC C<isa> CStruct and CStruct is
implemented as a PMC, it's the metaclass of itself.

The other document 1) describes a more general structure of PMC internal
layout:
- fixed (non-resizable) but:
- differently-sized structures
as currently already used by Buffer, String, and Bufferlike objects.

As all changes regarding this should be non-intrusive to any existing code,
I'll start implementing a CStruct PMC with the new layout.

Here are some (preliminary) steps:

[1] prelims
- send note about encapsulation within PMCs
- rearrange PMC fields to new conforming layout
- redefine PMC_* macros to use OPMC fields
- implemnent GC stuff re var-sized PMCs

[2] start CStruct
- use new_from_string vtable to construct a CStruct
- implement or delegate C struct {} parser.

That's it so far,
comments of course and always welcome,

leo