Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

[perl #41886] [CAGE] Use lcov to show code coverage

13 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

Paul Cochrane

no leída,
17 mar 2007, 5:19:51 p.m.17/3/07
para bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Paul Cochrane
# Please include the string: [perl #41886]

The lcov tool from the Linux Test Project
(http://ltp.sourceforge.net/coverage/lcov.readme.php) can be used to
produce html output of code coverage information (I believe this looks
similar to Devel::Cover's output). A 'make cover' target should be
added to the Makefile and lcov should be run regularly over the parrot
source to help guide the testing.

Paul Johnson

no leída,
18 mar 2007, 2:44:51 p.m.18/3/07
para perl6-i...@perl.org
On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 02:19:51PM -0700, Paul Cochrane wrote:

> The lcov tool from the Linux Test Project
> (http://ltp.sourceforge.net/coverage/lcov.readme.php) can be used to
> produce html output of code coverage information (I believe this looks
> similar to Devel::Cover's output). A 'make cover' target should be
> added to the Makefile and lcov should be run regularly over the parrot
> source to help guide the testing.

Or feel free to let Devel::Cover generate the reports. Devel::Cover
comes with a program to translate gcov output into the format that
Devel::Cover understands. This is used to generate full Perl 5 coverage
reports. See http://www.test-smoke.org/perlcover.shtml

If coverage data are available for any other languages involved in
Parrot then similar conversions should be fairly simple.

And, although I personally prefer a "make cover" target, the Perl world
seems to have settled on "make testcover".

--
Paul Johnson - pa...@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net

Paul Cochrane

no leída,
18 mar 2007, 3:07:11 p.m.18/3/07
para Paul Johnson,perl6-i...@perl.org
On 18/03/07, Paul Johnson <pa...@pjcj.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 02:19:51PM -0700, Paul Cochrane wrote:
>
> > The lcov tool from the Linux Test Project
> > (http://ltp.sourceforge.net/coverage/lcov.readme.php) can be used to
> > produce html output of code coverage information (I believe this looks
> > similar to Devel::Cover's output). A 'make cover' target should be
> > added to the Makefile and lcov should be run regularly over the parrot
> > source to help guide the testing.
>
> Or feel free to let Devel::Cover generate the reports. Devel::Cover
> comes with a program to translate gcov output into the format that
> Devel::Cover understands. This is used to generate full Perl 5 coverage
> reports. See http://www.test-smoke.org/perlcover.shtml
>
> If coverage data are available for any other languages involved in
> Parrot then similar conversions should be fairly simple.

This is a great idea! This means we can use one tool for more parts
of the source. Thanks for pointing it out! :-)

Paul

Paul Cochrane via RT

no leída,
19 mar 2007, 12:54:27 p.m.19/3/07
para perl6-i...@perl.org
On Sat Mar 17 14:19:51 2007, ptc wrote:
> The lcov tool from the Linux Test Project
> (http://ltp.sourceforge.net/coverage/lcov.readme.php) can be used to
> produce html output of code coverage information (I believe this looks
> similar to Devel::Cover's output). A 'make cover' target should be
> added to the Makefile and lcov should be run regularly over the parrot
> source to help guide the testing.

There is also a script for performing code coverage of parrot: tools/
dev/parrot_coverage.pl. The script generates html output of the code
coverage information (gleaned from gcov). Is a makefile target the
best option here, or should the script be used? It would be good to
combine the output from the C-related parts of Parrot with that of the
Perl-related parts, as pointed out by Paul Jackson.

Paul Cochrane via RT

no leída,
21 oct 2007, 12:45:39 p.m.21/10/07
para perl6-i...@perl.org
On Mon Mar 19 09:54:26 2007, ptc wrote:
> On Sat Mar 17 14:19:51 2007, ptc wrote:
> > The lcov tool from the Linux Test Project
> > (http://ltp.sourceforge.net/coverage/lcov.readme.php) can be used to
> > produce html output of code coverage information (I believe this
looks
> > similar to Devel::Cover's output). A 'make cover' target should be
> > added to the Makefile and lcov should be run regularly over the
parrot
> > source to help guide the testing.

A 'make cover' target has been in trunk for a while now. All that is
required atm to close this ticket is proper integration with
Devel::Cover so that the Perl-related components could be tested for
coverage as well as the C-related components all from within the same
make target.

Paul

0 mensajes nuevos