[perl #38903] Tcl - namespace borkage

Will Coleda

Apr 12, 2006, 12:00:55 PM4/12/06
to bugs-bi...@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by Will Coleda
# Please include the string: [perl #38903]

Tcl uses globals in the '_Tcl' namespace to hold information about
the interpreter. But now:

find_global '_Tcl', 'foo

doesn't work, because it's relative to the current namespace, which
is usually Tcl.

This is the cause of most of the current Tcl failures.

Will Coleda via RT

Apr 12, 2006, 12:14:40 PM4/12/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org
The current top level namespaces are 'Tcl' and '_Tcl'. According to PDD21, this should be "tcl"
and "_tcl".

Leopold Toetsch

Apr 12, 2006, 4:44:51 PM4/12/06
to perl6-i...@perl.org, Chip Salzenberg, bugs-bi...@netlabs.develooper.com

On Apr 12, 2006, at 18:00, Will Coleda (via RT) wrote:

> Tcl uses globals in the '_Tcl' namespace to hold information about
> the interpreter. But now:
>
> find_global '_Tcl', 'foo
>
> doesn't work, because it's relative to the current namespace, which
> is usually Tcl.

s/usually Tcl/usually tcl/ # i.e. the 'tcl' HLL namspace

This is exactly the behavior, I've summarized in several mails to p6i,
and therefore not a bug per se, but more a docu/pdd problem I presume.

leo