9th Marquess of Londonderry

Michael Rhodes

Jun 20, 2012, 9:26:31 AM6/20/12
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
_The Marquess of Londonderry (Peerage of Ireland cr 1816), is reported to have died, 20 June, 2012. He was 74. Alexander Charles Robert Vane-Tempest-Stewart, was the 9th Marquess; also Baron Londonderry, 1789; Viscount Castlereagh, 1795; Earl of Londonderry, 1796; Baron Stewart, 1814; amd Earl Vane and Viscount Seaham, cr 1823; he was born 7 Sept, 1937, son of the 8th Marquess by his wife Romaine (who d 1951), dau of Maj Boyce Combe; succeeded to the peerages on the demise of his father, 1955; married 1stly, 1958, Nicolette (div 1971, and she married 2ndly, Georgie Fame, the singer, & d 1993), dau of Michael Harrison (see Earls of Dudley), by whom he had 2 daughters; married 2ndly, 1972 (div 1989 and she had since d ?), Doreen Patricia Wells, the ballerina, by whom he had 2 sons. The elder son, Frederick Aubrey Vane-Tempest-Stewart, styled Viscount Castlereagh, born 6 Sept, 1972, inherits the family honours.

-==-

Michael Rhodes

Jun 20, 2012, 2:28:08 PM6/20/12
to peerag...@googlegroups.com

marquess

Jun 21, 2012, 1:26:29 AM6/21/12
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
A pretty bland obituary, just a little about the family history but no specific achievements on the part of the marquis.

JonnyK

Jun 21, 2012, 5:38:23 PM6/21/12
to Peerage News
I thought so too, it didn't read as if the writer had known much about
him personally, or bothered to find someone who did. Perhaps The Times
will provide a more satisfying read?

Interesting to note that the funeral will be at Mount Stewart, the
erstwhile Irish seat. This is where the 7th Marquess and his wife,
Alistair's grandparents Charley and Edith, are buried along with his
aunt, Lady Mairi, who died in 2009. His own parents were reinterred at
St. Mary's Church, Long Newton in County Durham following the sale of
Wynyard Park, where they were first buried.

Although the Londonderry (or rather the Vane-Tempest) vault is at Long
Newton, I did wonder whether this would be too remote as a final
resting place considering there is no longer a family connection at
Wynyard. It would seem Mount Stewart is the most appropriate place,
all things considered.

Michael Rhodes

Jun 23, 2012, 2:38:37 AM6/23/12
to peerag...@googlegroups.com

Richard R

Jun 23, 2012, 6:36:56 AM6/23/12
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
The late 9th Marquess did not appear on The Roll of the Peerage (even in his UK earldom of VANE) and it will be interesting to see if the new holder takes steps to appear on the roll, by establishing his claim.

marquess

Jun 23, 2012, 9:21:13 AM6/23/12
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
I would like to see the future hp styled the Earl Vane, as there is no loner anything to be had in the house. I recall from Ruigvny's Titled Nobility of Europe that the grandson of the then marquis was styled lord Stewart.

marquess

Jun 23, 2012, 9:21:56 AM6/23/12
to peerag...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I meant ha not hp.