BrainSilo NEEDS your input

Lokkju Brennr

Jun 6, 2011, 4:40:28 PM6/6/11
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com, pdxg...@googlegroups.com, dorkbotpd...@dorkbot.org
BrainSilo, Portland's only 24/7 hackerspace (hell, it's only
hackerspace), isn't doing so well - and we'd like your input on why
you aren't using it. (if you haven't heard of us, check out
http://www.brainsilo.org/)

We've been open since January 1st, 2010 and incorporated as a
nonprofit entity for almost exactly a year now. Originally, we had
50+ people highly interested in the space, and at least 20 who
commited to support us - but the most paying members we've had at one
time was 12, and it hasn't been near that in a while. With a couple
more people canceling their membership recently, and almost no one
showing up for the weekly open houses, I'd just like input from
people. While our expenses are only ~600/month, the vast majority of
that has been paid by myself and one other person for the past few
months - and that isn't sustainable.

The following are a few questions I'd love an answer to, in no
particular order. The answers to these will hopefully help the board
decide what the next steps for BrainSilo are, if any. Feel free to
respond privately or publicly.

1) Have you heard about BrainSilo before?

2) Have you ever been to BrainSilo?

3) Would you like to use a hackerspace?

4) Why don't you come to BrainSilo?

5) Is there anything in specific you don't like about BrainSilo

6) Is there some specific tool or piece of equipment that would make
you much more likely to visit?

7) If you did want to be a member, what do you think a fair membership cost is?

8) If you work for a company, would they be willing to help fund us if
we were a 501(c)(3)?

9) Any other comments on why we should stay open, or why we should
close our doors?

Seriously people, your answering this will help the board figure out
what BrainSilo's next steps should be.

Thanks,

Loki (Nick Jacobsen)

Lokkju Brennr

Jun 6, 2011, 5:26:27 PM6/6/11
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com, pdxg...@googlegroups.com, dorkbotpd...@dorkbot.org
As a note, I've put up an actual google form for these questions - may
be easier for everyone: http://goo.gl/hL1HC

Reid Beels

Jun 7, 2011, 2:02:47 AM6/7/11
to pdxg...@googlegroups.com, pdxhack...@googlegroups.com, dorkbotpd...@dorkbot.org

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Lokkju Brennr <lok...@gmail.com> wrote:

1) Have you heard about BrainSilo before?

Yes!

2) Have you ever been to BrainSilo?

A few times

3) Would you like to use a hackerspace?

I think I see my ideal hackerspace as:
1. a community clubhouse with resources — workspace where I can run into people I wouldn't otherwise work with and bounce ideas around. Basically, the lobby area of cubespace, without the rest of it.
2. a place to work on things that are too big/messy/complicated to do at home
3. a place to work on odd things at odd hours, hopefully not alone
4. a space for gatherings, casual meetings, classes, and larger more widespread happenings
5. somewhere for strange technologies to find a loving home where they can be nursed back to health and used for various amusing purposes

… and many other things

4) Why don't you come to BrainSilo?

1. Time — I haven't had time lately to spend working on the kind of projects that lend themselves obviously to hackerspace usage. My side projects are squeezed in between work and osbridge planning.
2. Location — I actually don't mind the dark industrial setting of BrainSilo, but the location is definitely a factor as to why I don't end up there. It's in an area that I'll almost never pass through or be near in the course of an ordinary day, making it always seem to me that it requires a dedicated trip. The mental side effect of this is that I don't end up thinking of BrainSilo as someplace where I can just hang out for a few hours between other engagements, but as somewhere that I kind of have to commit to going to. There's a bit of food nearby (white eagle, gotham, widmer), but the area still strikes me as sort of a desert as far as useful businesses are concerned.
3. Desire to hang out with friends who think the location is kinda scary
4. Perception of disuse — (Exactly the problem you're trying to solve!) I like being around people and if I'm just going to be hacking, I'll pick a coffee shop over an empty hackerspace. Several of the folks I end up hanging out with at coffee shops are making the same choice. If we all came to BrainSilo, it would be better, but we'd still have to make our own coffee :)
5. Laziness — I do mostly software hacking, which I can do from anywhere. This is not a problem with BrainSilo.

5) Is there anything in specific you don't like about BrainSilo

I haven't been in the space in long enough that I'm not really sure. Everything that I can think of that could be better is the kind of thing that improves with a larger community of caretakers.
I like the garage door and its ability to be open in the summertime.

6) Is there some specific tool or piece of equipment that would make you much more likely to visit?

Lasers. Lasers that cut things. On a drop-in basis. Preferably free or by-the-minute-of-laser-time pricing.

7) If you did want to be a member, what do you think a fair membership cost is?

I think the current membership price of $40 is quite reasonable. I'd support an increase in dues as the space became more awesome.

8) If you work for a company, would they be willing to help fund us if we were a 501(c)(3)?

Doubtful, but we're a wee startup.

9) Any other comments on why we should stay open, or why we should close our doors?

I think that Portland needs an awesome hackerspace.

Best,
Reid

Michael Dexter

Jun 22, 2011, 4:26:52 AM6/22/11
to pdxg...@googlegroups.com

> 1) Have you heard about BrainSilo before?

Yes!

> 2) Have you ever been to BrainSilo?

Yes.

> 3) Would you like to use a hackerspace?

For access to tools and expertise I don't have at home.

> 4) Why don't you come to BrainSilo?

I have my own messy basement, open 24h. :(

> 5) Is there anything in specific you don't like about BrainSilo

The current location would not serve as a meeting location/class lab
(venues are always a pain) and it wouldn't provide a larger, temporary
space should I need one. Tech Shop offered both a large space and
smaller private spaces should people want them. Alas, they could not
make the numbers work.

> 6) Is there some specific tool or piece of equipment that would make
> you much more likely to visit?

Many people refer to the "Holy Trinity" of a laser cutter, CNC machine
and 3D printer. Tech Shop did quite well on these and various
discussions are taking place about replacing that resource.

> 7) If you did want to be a member, what do you think a fair membership cost is?

This would depend on the available resources. Some people have zero
space to work in while others need specialized space and tools. It's a
tricky formula.

> 8) If you work for a company, would they be willing to help fund us if
> we were a 501(c)(3)?

Funding anything is tricky in this economy. Note that many companies
will fund for the sake of advertising, potentially making 501(c)(3)
status a disadvantage to you. Foundations are far more concerned about
the status but they are generally busy with more tear-jerking subjects.

> 9) Any other comments on why we should stay open, or why we should
> close our doors?

I hope the current users are chiming in on this one.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Do look at what other hacker spaces are doing.

Michael