deprecation warning... what's the point?!

phil

Jun 11, 2009, 2:16:57 PM6/11/09
to Paperclip Plugin
I am curious as to why the decision was made to output (at warn level
no less!) this:
[DEPRECATION] S3 support through RightAWS is deprecated. S3 support
will be changed to AWS::S3 in a future version

I now have 25mb file that is basically this thousands of times with
the odd important message in between.

I wouldn't mind if a) it only did it in dev mode and b) there was info
on what to do! I already have AWS:S3 installed, so in theory it
doesn't even apply to me!

Anyway - I've blatted it from my fork... it just seems a strange thing
to do in the first place.

Jonathan Yurek

Jun 16, 2009, 8:05:53 AM6/16/09
to papercli...@googlegroups.com
phil,

Yeah, in hindsight this wasn't the best idea as I didn't realize
exactly how much it would be printing out for people. I apologize for
that. I want to get AWS::S3 support in as soon as I can so this can go
away. I just wanted to make sure people who were relying on RightAWS
knew that S3 support would be changing soon. I guess I overstated my
case.

Again, sorry about that.
--
Jonathan Yurek, Founder and CTO
thoughtbot, inc.

617.482.1300 x114
http://www.thoughtbot.com/

Trevor Turk

Jun 16, 2009, 4:54:06 PM6/16/09
to Paperclip Plugin
On Jun 16, 7:05 am, Jonathan Yurek <jyu...@thoughtbot.com> wrote:
> I want to get AWS::S3 support in as soon as I can so this can go
> away. I just wanted to make sure people who were relying on RightAWS
> knew that S3 support would be changing soon. I guess I overstated my
> case.

Any chance of getting some background on why you're making the switch?

Thanks,
- Trevor

Jonathan Yurek

Jun 16, 2009, 7:03:14 PM6/16/09
to papercli...@googlegroups.com
There were a number of people complaining about the slowness of
RightAWS. That, and the fact that there was no way to do anything
without making at least one http request to get the bucket. I could
work around it for building URLs, but for uploading it meant I had to
make at least two http requests. AWS::S3 doesn't have that limitation.
And a few people were having issues with connections, which
RightHTTPConnection was supposed t prevent. It turned out that there
were fewer and fewer reasons to keep using it.

Jonathan Yurek

Jun 18, 2009, 10:24:47 AM6/18/09
to papercli...@googlegroups.com
I took out the deprecation warning. I admit that was kind of a stupid
idea and I didn't realize how much it would be printing. Sorry to
everyone who was inconvenienced by that.

The latest gem on github (2.2.9.2) has this removed.