problem update ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10

Jacques Bride

Nov 15, 2011, 4:12:47 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Reading yesterday the great news that the ubuntu-omap-extras package
was ready for oneiric 11.10, I decided to upgrade my pandaboard from
natty 11.04 to oneiric 11.10 in order to get advantage of the 1080p
video decode I need for a project.

Maybe I did wrong but to do so but I let my ubuntu upgrade itself. I
did not want to erase and flash my SD card again as I had manually
installed quite a lot of new software and libs on my 11.04 system.

It took 10 hours but everything went perfect until I reboot....

now I only get a console screen with login, and an error message:
"ti_st_open register failed

looking at the Xorg.log, I see an error :
-could not get PVR services status
- no devices detected
- no screens found

seems the SGX has not started but what is the link with display?

my board is a EA2 revision

Has any of you already encountered such issue and could help me please?

Thanks
Jacques

Jacques Bride

Nov 15, 2011, 4:48:42 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Small update:
still no success but I forgot to say that I can see first the penguins
and then the initial ubuntu graphic progress bar. It's when gdm or
lightdm want to start that it crashes and reverts to console window.
Jacques

E V

Nov 15, 2011, 5:23:53 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Same problem here. But i have created a new SD card, and problem comes when i install omap4-extras package. Same behavior, same error message...

Jacques Bride

Nov 15, 2011, 7:39:06 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Strange indeed. You mean you have managed to boot 11.10 without any
problems until you install the omap4_extra package announced here?
(not a beta?)

Jacques

E V

Nov 15, 2011, 7:52:17 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's what happened to me.

I have used this image:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.10/release/ubuntu-11.10-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap4.img.gz

Loaded onto a SD card, and boot with no problems. Played a bit, and then used the "install omap4 extras" link. It complained about the repository, but tried a second time, and then worked. After installing it, as I said, the behavior of the system is exactly the same you describe.

My pandaboard is Rev. A2

Jacques Bride

Nov 15, 2011, 8:02:50 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to have confirmed
It means it will be no help for me to flash my sd card from scratch

Jacques Bride

Nov 15, 2011, 8:40:33 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried installing again the omap4_extras package (with apt-get
in the console) and reboot? My board is not here right now so I cannot
test it. Tomorrow I will have time to try to figure out the issue

E V

Nov 15, 2011, 9:59:41 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
That did not work. However, looking at the output i noticed several lines containing
"(stk) :line disc installation timed"
There are some messages related in the mail list, but i can't find any that points to a real answer. Will keep trying anyways.

Jacques Bride

Nov 15, 2011, 10:15:56 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I confirm, I get same message also (line disc installation timed). No
clue if it's related to our problem

Samet Atdağ

Nov 15, 2011, 4:40:21 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hi, exact same thing happened to me. After that, I run this from terminal:

apt-get dist-upgrade

This updates many packages, such as linux kernel etc. After then everything was OK, Ubuntu booted as usual.

Samet

Dechesne, Nicolas

Nov 15, 2011, 5:29:52 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Jacques Bride <jacque...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hello

Reading yesterday the great news that the ubuntu-omap-extras package
was ready for oneiric 11.10, I decided to upgrade my pandaboard from
natty 11.04 to oneiric 11.10 in order to get advantage of the 1080p
video decode I need for a project.

ouch. we didn't test upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10. the management of the bootloaders has changed (they are now real packages), so that might be a problem... also I am not sure if the correct kernel is going to be installed in this case...

can you pastebin the output of dpkg -l ?

i am not very confident that we will be able to make this work... worst case you will need to reinstall :-)

also note that using an external USB driver is really a must have if you want to do anything serious as the SD is way too slow, see http://omappedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_on_OMAP_FAQ#I_want_to_install_Ubuntu_on_external_USB_hard_disk_instead_of_sluggish_SD_card

Maybe I did wrong but to do so but I let my ubuntu upgrade itself. I
did not want to erase and flash my SD card again as I had manually
installed quite a lot of new software and libs on my 11.04 system.

It took 10 hours but everything went perfect until I reboot....

now I only get a console screen with login, and an error message:
 "ti_st_open  register failed

looking at the Xorg.log, I see an error :
-could not get PVR services status
- no devices detected
- no screens found

many things could be wrong. you might be using a wrong kernel, or there could be a mismatch between kernel and SGX driver versions,. ... of the PVR xorg.cong  might not have been upgraded properly. can you pastebin the content of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-pvr.conf?

seems the SGX has not started but what is the link with display?

The UI is using SGX for some acceleration. The X driver comes with the SGX DDK.

Boudet, Xavier

Nov 15, 2011, 10:55:30 AM11/15/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
I did a check today and here are my findings:

1- install ubuntu-11.10-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap4.img.gz + "install omap4 extras" link.
First of all I confirm that you need to try 2 times "install omap4 extras" in a way it works.
Then there is a problem due to the new kernel ABI that was delivered recently by canonical.
ubuntu-11.10-preinstalled-desktop-armel+omap4.img is having linux-image-3.0.0-1205-omap4 whereas now the kernel available is linux-image-3.0.0-1206-omap4. When installing TI packages, the headers for 1205 kernel are not installed but 1206 instead due to the meta package linux-headers-omap4 that is now on version 1206.
2 possibilities to fix the issue:
- perform a dist-upgrade before (or even after) to "install omap4 extras"
- or install manually 1205 headers: "sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.0.0-1205 linux-headers-3.0.0-1205-omap4", it will fix the boot issue on filesystem that was not dist upgraded first and on which you don't want to dist-upgrade now.

2- For update ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10, I suggest to double check the content of file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ti-omap4-ppa.list and/or to send me dpkg -l output.

Regards,

Xavier Boudet

Jacques Bride

Nov 16, 2011, 3:59:53 AM11/16/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Thanks a lot Xavier and Nicolas

I folllowed your update procedure and it worked :-) the unbuntu interface is back again!

Thanks you very much

Jacques

Jacques Bride

Nov 16, 2011, 7:20:22 AM11/16/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello Nicolas

yes inded SD card is a pain. After ubuntu I will have to test my application on Android and it will be wise that I boot the pandorid on a usb drive. Thanks for the link

Jacques

2011/11/15 Dechesne, Nicolas <nde...@gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Jacques Bride <jacque...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hello

Reading yesterday the great news that the ubuntu-omap-extras package
was ready for oneiric 11.10, I decided to upgrade my pandaboard from
natty 11.04 to oneiric 11.10 in order to get advantage of the 1080p
video decode I need for a project.

ouch. we didn't tes I willt upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10. the management of the bootloaders has changed (they are now real packages), so that might be a problem... also I am not sure if the correct kernel is going to be installed in this case...

can you pastebin the output of dpkg -l ?

i am not very confident that we will be able to make this work... worst case you will need to reinstall :-)

also note that using an external USB driver is really a must have if you want to do anything serious as the SD is way too slow, see http://omappedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_on_OMAP_FAQ#I_want_to_install_Ubuntu_on_external_USB_hard_disk_instead_of_sluggish_SD_card

Jacques Bride

Dec 30, 2011, 2:02:06 AM12/30/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Hello All

This is an update to an old thread I started more than a month ago. I was not able to decode 1080P videos on my Pandaboard after upgrade of ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 and installation of the new ubuntu_omap4_extras package. Yesterday I managed to make it work :-) As already suggested in the list, I made once again a clean update of my system yesterday after removing manually multimedia packages. This time it worked! :-) I am now able to play HD movies with the totem video player (full screen and window mode).

Now I have to write my own application (in C) that calls the pandaboard hardware video decoder. I just need to decode raw video streams (h264) frame per frame using the OpenMax api on the cortex A9.

Is there an example C file available already available for OpenMax video decode on OMAP4?

In any case, thanks a lot for your great help, in particular Nicolas and Xavier.

Best regards
Jacques

Nicolas Dechesne

Dec 30, 2011, 8:15:44 AM12/30/11
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Jacques Bride
<jacque...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> This is an update to an old thread I started more than a month ago. I was
> not able to decode 1080P videos on my Pandaboard after upgrade of ubuntu
> 11.04 to 11.10 and installation of the new ubuntu_omap4_extras package.
> Yesterday I managed to make it work :-) As already suggested in the list, I
> made once again a clean update of my system yesterday after removing
> manually multimedia packages. This time it worked! :-) I am now able to play
> HD movies with the totem video player (full screen and window mode).

great!

> Now I have to write my own application (in C) that calls the pandaboard
> hardware video decoder. I just need to decode raw video streams (h264) frame
> per frame using the OpenMax api on the cortex A9.
>
> Is there an example C file available already available for OpenMax video
> decode on OMAP4?

in this release we are no longer using OpenMax. Instead we are using
DCE API (Distributed Codec Engine). Basically DCE lets us directly
access the 'codec' API without the OMX glue. TI indeed has a standard
codec API called Codec Engine with APIs such as Engine_open(), and
then VIDDECx_process(), VIDDECx_create(), ... The CE APIs are used
underneath the OMX API. So what DCE is doing is that we are removing
the OMX layers.

You can see here a very initial anouncement for libDCE :
http://bloggingthemonkey.blogspot.com/2010/11/announcing-libdce-and-gst-ducati.html.
The code has changed a lot since that, but the concept has remain the
same.

Regarding the Ducati firmware, it's built without the OMX layers as
well. It used to be possible to rebuild the firmware when TI was
making public release of the codecs, see the recipe here:
http://omappedia.org/wiki/DistributedCodecEngine. However newer codecs
releases aren't public and the firmware that we release in the Ubuntu
PPA includes the latest version of these codecs. But the recipe gives
you an idea of how it's built.

the DCE code is in the 'dce' package in the PPA. The development of
that is public, and the upstream git tree is here :
http://gitorious.org/gstreamer-omap/libdce

We also released gst-ducati which is the GST plugin that uses the
libdce APIs which can serve as an example.

We used to have a DCE 'simple test framework', but I don't know how
well it's been maintained. robclark, might be able to comment on
that...

Jacques Bride

Jan 3, 2012, 6:06:37 AM1/3/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Nicolas for your expanation and details
I understand the advantage of using directly the DCE for TI release of multimedia acceleration. However, if I read well you message, do you confirm that the OpenMAX implementation for OMAP4 does use the DCE layer also and thus enables 1080P decode for all applications using openmax?
I will look carefully at the DCE package, try/update the test application which I will share with the list when ready
Best regards
Jacques
ps: happy new year everyone

Nicolas Dechesne

Jan 4, 2012, 5:52:21 PM1/4/12
to panda...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Jacques Bride
<jacque...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I understand the advantage of using directly the DCE for TI release of
> multimedia acceleration. However, if I read well you message, do you confirm
> that the OpenMAX implementation for OMAP4 does use the DCE layer also and
> thus enables 1080P decode for all applications using openmax?

no, OMX does not use DCE, but 'CE'.

In fact it's more or less something like this:

DOMX (A9) -> syslink (A9) -> syslink (M3) --> OMX(M3) --> CE (M3) -->
XDM/XDAIS (M3) -> codec (IVAHD)
and
DCE (A9) -> syslink (A9) -> syslink (M3) --> CE (M3) --> XDM/XDAIS
(M3) -> codec (IVAHD)

[some details are intentionally omitted for clarity]

Basically that changes the user space API to use the codec. The
biggest motivation was to make a simpler and synchronous API that
would make the GST integration simpler and more robust.

In terms of performances this change has no negative impact (it even
reduces the latency) and the very same underlying codec is used (the
same codec *binary* to be concrete).