Excel 2010 Addin

Antonio Tirado

May 30, 2010, 10:25:00 PM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Anyone in the list with experience building Excel Addins. VS2010 crashes silently whenever I try to build my project. I would rather mail you directly rather than spam everyone.

Thanks in advance

Antonio Tirado
Mobile: +61 4 4825 5126

Colin Scott

May 30, 2010, 10:34:59 PM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
My first though on reading this was "Excel Addins are about as non-ALT.NET as you can
get". Which leads to two questions:

- What is in fact the least ALT.NET thing in existence (excluding Steve Balmer)?
- Is defining ALT.NET by what it's not even a valid strategy?

Discuss.

(This is not intended to be a criticism of sending this question to this list)

CDS

On Mon May 31 12:25 , Antonio Tirado <antonio...@msn.com> sent:

>--

>Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

Heinrich Breedt

May 30, 2010, 10:42:31 PM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I dont see why excel add in should not be part of alt.net.
alt.net is not excluding MS, its about not be exclusive MS. IMHO

Heinrich
--
Heinrich Breedt

“Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.” - William B. Sprague

Colin Scott

May 30, 2010, 10:45:31 PM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Valid point (although I'd argue most Excel development is very non-ALT.NET even if it
doesn't have to be). Beware initial impressions. Would this mean non-ALT.NET is more
practices than tools?

CDS

On Mon May 31 12:42 , Heinrich Breedt <heinric...@gmail.com> sent:

Heinrich Breedt

May 30, 2010, 10:52:11 PM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com

I do quite a bit of addin development. Still uses TDD, although must admit, i spike alot without tests to learn the api (with all its idiosyncrasies ). I have CI around etc etc. I certainly dont feel anti alt.net doing it. If the customer needs addins why would i not do it. Its how i approach it that makes for Alt.Net i think.

Might make for a topic for the proposed openspaces :) (law of 2 feet will probably make it a non starter)

Heinrich

Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

Nathan O'Sullivan

May 30, 2010, 10:57:22 PM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com

> - What is in fact the least ALT.NET thing in existence (excluding Steve Balmer)?

sharepoint

Colin Scott

May 30, 2010, 11:02:19 PM5/30/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
I should have seen that coming. Although to be fair I'm normally the source.

More seriously, you can do ALT.NET with SharePoint. You just need to lock it in a box
and never ever let it out.

On Mon May 31 12:57 , Nathan O'Sullivan <nathan.o...@gmail.com> sent:

>> - What is in fact the least ALT.NET thing in existence (excluding Steve Balmer)?
>>
>sharepoint
>

>--

>http://groups.google.com.au/group/ozaltdotnet\?hl=en-GB

>Find us on the web at http://ozalt.net

>)

David Miller

May 31, 2010, 3:58:31 AM5/31/10
to ozalt...@googlegroups.com
Seriously though - you can ALT.NET even SharePoint.

We've written a 80,000 LOC SharePoint application with jQuery, NHibernate, Castle, AutoMapper built on the back of Moq, TeamCity, NUnit.

The guys at work wrote an entire app using WebFormsMvp, AutoFac and NHibernate side by side with Cassini, IIS and SharePoint.

It's not without it's pain - but it doesn't mean Microsoft only.

SharePoint development without 3rd part Open Source tools sucks (better in VS2010 tho)