OStatus for Wordpress

pepijn (aka fliebel)

Jun 5, 2010, 9:11:55 AM6/5/10
to ostatus
Hi everyone,

Is there any work being done for a Wordpress OStatus plugin?
If not, I'd like to take that up as a project for me and some other
interested people.

I'm not an OStatus master yet, but as I understand it, OStatus is a
bunch of add-ons to the Atom protocol.

Wordpress already provides per-user feeds, is written in PHP, and some
of the technologies used in OStatus already have a plugin from which I
can hopefully borrow code.

Wordpress + plugins + StatusNet should give me a good base to start
from I think.

My plan is to use custom post types to generate activity streams in
the (PubSubHubBub-enabled)per-author feed. I also want to implement
salmon for comments and extend the user profile somewhat as portable
contacts. Of course WebFinger is also going to be mapped to Wordpress
user accounts.

If I manage to finish all this, I might also make a nice dashboard
module for following people and maybe even a twitterish protocol like
on Wordpress.com for use in Twitter clients.

Do you foresee any problems or things I should do differently about
this approach?

Anyone interested in helping?
I'll make a GitHub repo when I have time.

Lets turn the largest blogging platform into the largest social
blogging network! :)

Pepijn de Vos

Matthew Katz

Jun 5, 2010, 11:04:37 AM6/5/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for helping out with one of these wp plugins.

Jon Phillips

Jun 6, 2010, 1:16:36 PM6/6/10
to ostatus-discuss
This is a great project. Please do it! Spec out your work and do it up! Great!

Jon

--
Jon Phillips
http://rejon.org/

Matt Katz

Jun 6, 2010, 9:08:28 PM6/6/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/webfinger/
Looks like he has also created a .wellknown and host-meta plugin. And I
just noticed an activity streams plugin he's written.
Has anyone tried this? Does it have any bugs or limitations that need
fixing?
Given what he's written:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/profile/pfefferle - I'm guessing he's
on this mailing list.

Matthias - what are some bits that need work on these plugins?

I also found a salmonpress plugin
http://code.google.com/p/salmonpress/
Wordpress still doesn't have a good way to manage all of the incoming
stuff for ostatus - that might be a really good place to start -
integrating all of this stuff into one good way to manage your info...

Or maybe writing a plugin that installs the whole bundle for you...

Mark E

Jun 6, 2010, 11:54:09 PM6/6/10

Matt Katz wrote:
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/webfinger/
> Looks like he has also created a .wellknown and host-meta plugin. And I
> just noticed an activity streams plugin he's written.
> Has anyone tried this?

Ya, I did.

> Does it have any bugs or limitations that need
> fixing?

The host-meta and .well-known work Ok. There's nothing complicated about
that stuff.

The activitystreams code needs a lot of work since it make some
assumptions and only handles blog posts.

> I also found a salmonpress plugin
> http://code.google.com/p/salmonpress/

That plugin is an Ok starting point, but (and this is a big one) it
doesn't handle digital signatures. So there's no validation code in it
that works. Not sure what other issues there might be.

> Wordpress still doesn't have a good way to manage all of the incoming
> stuff for ostatus - that might be a really good place to start -
> integrating all of this stuff into one good way to manage your info...
>
> Or maybe writing a plugin that installs the whole bundle for you...

You guys might want to wait just a bit before you spend a lot of time
writing OStatus support for Wordpress.

I hear that such a cool set of code is nearly done, with complete
support for Ostatus and several other related technologies. Last I heard
something would be announced sometime in June, and it's now June :-)

Mark

Pepijn de Vos

Jun 7, 2010, 3:42:54 AM6/7/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
Yea, I found the same guy as you did, plus a couple of others.

He has

And then there there are these:

This are all the technologies we need, right?
There are a few problem though.

  • Not all of them might work well together or the way I want them.
  • They do not implement everything we need.
  • Users have to search the whole web to get them all.

There are two options here.

Either we contact the authors for changes required upstream, write the missing stuff and bundle them.
Or we take their code and merge it into one coherent plugin.
Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Groeten,
Pepijn de Vos
--
Sent from my iPod Shuffle
http://pepijndevos.nl

Evan Prodromou

Jun 7, 2010, 11:41:47 AM6/7/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com, andypeatling
On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 06:11 -0700, pepijn (aka fliebel) wrote:
Is there any work being done for a Wordpress OStatus plugin?
If not, I'd like to take that up as a project for me and some other
interested people.
Pepijn,

I'd like to strongly recommend that you coordinate with Andy Peatling (CC'd) about what you're doing.

It'd be great that such a plugin would be compatible with Buddypress.

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <ev...@status.net>
StatusNet Inc

Pepijn de Vos

Jun 7, 2010, 11:58:27 AM6/7/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com, andypeatling
Hi,

I think it would indeed be great if the plugin had BuddyPress support.
Since BuddyPress is 120% WordPress I think we can add that later, but it is a thing to keep in mind.

My primary goal is that everyone who can run a blog can run his own private social network.
I'm not sure everyone will want to run BuddyPress to do that.

I'll have to do some more research, I have never really worked with BuddyPress.
A few things I'm interested to know:
How easy/hard is it to install BuddyPress, and can it be done without modifying files?
Does BuddyPress use its own database tables, or custom post types/fields?

In other words: How easy is it for me to support and how easy for the user to install.

Groeten,
Pepijn de Vos
--
Sent from my iPod Shuffle
http://pepijndevos.nl

Matthias Pfefferle

Jun 7, 2010, 12:10:54 PM6/7/10
to ostatus
Sorry for my late reply... i had (have) a lot to do these days :)

The OStatus-Plugin is an awsome idea and i will help you where i
can :)

The Well-Known, Host-Meta, Webfinger and ActivityStreams plugins are
up to date and I will add any functionality you need for the ostatus-
plugin.

The PortableContacts-Plugin only adds a XRDS-Simple Link to an
existing PoCo-Provider, but I/we could refactor it to provide a simple
and public PoCo Endpoint for each user.

To your options:

> Either we contact the authors for changes required upstream, write the missing stuff and bundle them.

I prefer this option because (for example) well-known, host-meta and
pubsubhubbub can be used as standalone or by a couple of different
services. When we merge them directly into the ostatus plugin, we have
to add several checks (for example if the stand alone plugin is in
use), we have to implement both options (if the standalone plugin is
installed use it, else use the included one) and some of us have to
administer two code bases.

Perhaps there is a way to install and activate all single plugins with
one click (does the wordpress plugin-installer provide some actions/
filter?)...

On 7 Jun., 17:58, Pepijn de Vos <pepijnde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it would indeed be great if the plugin had BuddyPress support.
> Since BuddyPress is 120% WordPress I think we can add that later, but it is a thing to keep in mind.
>
> My primary goal is that everyone who can run a blog can run his own private social network.
> I'm not sure everyone will want to run BuddyPress to do that.
>
> I'll have to do some more research, I have never really worked with BuddyPress.
> A few things I'm interested to know:
> How easy/hard is it to install BuddyPress, and can it be done without modifying files?
> Does BuddyPress use its own database tables, or custom post types/fields?
>
> In other words: How easy is it for me to support and how easy for the user to install.
>
> Groeten,
> Pepijn de Vos
> --
> Sent from my iPod Shufflehttp://pepijndevos.nl
>
> On Jun 7, 2010, at 5:41 PM, Evan Prodromou wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 06:11 -0700, pepijn (aka fliebel) wrote:
>
> >> Is there any work being done for a Wordpress OStatus plugin?
> >> If not, I'd like to take that up as a project for me and some other
> >> interested people.
> > Pepijn,
>
> > I'd like to strongly recommend that you coordinate with Andy Peatling (CC'd) about what you're doing.
>
> > It'd be great that such a plugin would be compatible with Buddypress.
>
> > -Evan
>
> > --
> > Evan Prodromou <e...@status.net>
> > StatusNet Inc

Pepijn de Vos

Jun 7, 2010, 12:35:22 PM6/7/10

On Jun 7, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Matthias Pfefferle wrote:

> Sorry for my late reply... i had (have) a lot to do these days :)
>
> The OStatus-Plugin is an awsome idea and i will help you where i
> can :)

Thanks!

> The Well-Known, Host-Meta, Webfinger and ActivityStreams plugins are
> up to date and I will add any functionality you need for the ostatus-
> plugin.

Thanks again!
I anticipate the ActivityStreams plugins will need some plumbing with custom post types to provides other activities besides post.

Have you seen the P2 theme?
No post types, but the front-end is nice for this stuff.

> The PortableContacts-Plugin only adds a XRDS-Simple Link to an
> existing PoCo-Provider, but I/we could refactor it to provide a simple
> and public PoCo Endpoint for each user.

I'm still very much in the research phase, but if you say so, great!
In my very simplified vision, PortableContacts are just a few extra xml elements containing profile info from a user.
The reality might be more complicated though.

> To your options:
>
>> Either we contact the authors for changes required upstream, write the missing stuff and bundle them.
>
> I prefer this option because (for example) well-known, host-meta and
> pubsubhubbub can be used as standalone or by a couple of different
> services. When we merge them directly into the ostatus plugin, we have
> to add several checks (for example if the stand alone plugin is in
> use), we have to implement both options (if the standalone plugin is
> installed use it, else use the included one) and some of us have to
> administer two code bases.
>
> Perhaps there is a way to install and activate all single plugins with
> one click (does the wordpress plugin-installer provide some actions/
> filter?)...

Yea, I think bundling them is better, but that leaves us with a deployment issue.
I'll have al look at the installation hooks.

Since all plugins are GPL, would it be legal to add them as svn:externals and just tell users to upload them all?

pepijn (aka fliebel)

Jun 17, 2010, 11:38:37 AM6/17/10
to ostatus
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to say that I lost interest in Wordpress again for a while.
This happens to me sometimes,
then I continue to do some other work until I find a project where the
answer to the question
"how can I solve this easily" is "Wordpress".

So for now I'm not going to work on OStatus for Wordpress.
Maybe later, when I pick Wordpress as my weapon of choice again.

I think this plugin will happen anyway, though maybe not by me.
The combination of OStatus and WordPress is just to powerful.

Good luck to all of you!
I'll be back later.

Pepijn

Mark E

Jul 4, 2010, 8:09:39 PM7/4/10
Matt Katz wrote:
>> Wordpress still doesn't have a good way to manage all of the incoming
>> stuff for ostatus - that might be a really good place to start -
>> integrating all of this stuff into one good way to manage your info...

Just recv'd notice of this:

http://socialriver.org/

Mark

Matthew Katz

Jul 4, 2010, 9:08:49 PM7/4/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com
Hello! Any word if it is open source? Agpl?

"Mark E" <ma...@simplercomputing.net> wrote:

Mark E

Jul 4, 2010, 10:17:11 PM7/4/10

Matthew Katz wrote:
> Hello! Any word if it is open source? Agpl?

Did you read the FAQ?

Mark

Jon Spriggs

Jul 5, 2010, 1:55:11 AM7/5/10
to ostatus...@googlegroups.com

To be fair, I'm reading the site from my mobile, which didn't show the "Show menu" line at the top, where the FAQ was located.

The software is GPL licensed and is an extension to Wordpress.

--
Jon "TheNiceGuy" Spriggs

Matthew Katz

Jul 5, 2010, 8:36:01 AM7/5/10