Translation tool is updated to latest

Victor Shcherb

Jun 19, 2013, 6:29:19 AM6/19/13
to osmand

Victor

Stephan75

Jun 20, 2013, 11:07:05 AM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
In these days I cannot access to http://translate.osmand.net  ... it redirects me to osmand.net directly!

Do I miss something or something got messed up there?

Anyone else success or failure?

Stephan

Am Mittwoch, 19. Juni 2013 12:29:19 UTC+2 schrieb V S:

Victor

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 20, 2013, 11:42:37 AM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't work for me either. I also tried it.

Harry

Victor Shcherb

Jun 20, 2013, 1:20:47 PM6/20/13
to osmand
Sorry,

completely destroyed it :( And looks like that data is lost during upgrade process. Damn! If anyone doesn't have valuable information there I would better reinstall from scratch.

Victor

Péter Báthory

Jun 20, 2013, 5:27:12 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

I suggest switching to an other localisation tool, Weblate is the worst I ever used. What do you think about Translatewiki and Transifex?

As I know, transatewiki.net also has Android and git support.
Pros: translation history, translation memory, instant parameter validation, user friendly interface, and big volunteer community.

Péter

Hardy

Jun 20, 2013, 6:03:09 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
alex73mail  wrote:

weblate.org is terrible thing for translation. OmegaT is much better ;)
Also, weblate.org doesn't know Belarusian language.

Victor Shcherb

Jun 20, 2013, 7:59:15 PM6/20/13
to osmand
Weblate you can add as many languages as you want (it is configuration).
That's why I wanted to update weblate to get it better :)

Victor

Péter Báthory

Jun 21, 2013, 5:41:57 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Aside from version, Weblate is a bad localization tool. This gives lots of unnecessary work for translators and makes OsmAnd translation always outdated.
Why dont we simply change to an other platform?

Debeet

Jun 21, 2013, 6:14:07 PM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Weblate does not tell when a certain string was updated. Because of that there are many outdated translations.

Victor Shcherb

Jun 23, 2013, 10:16:44 AM6/23/13
to osmand
If you know better tool and you can help with installation, you are more than welcome.

Thanks
Victor

Debeet

Jun 23, 2013, 4:17:26 PM6/23/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
There is Transifex. It's not really something you can install on your server, it's a service. There are fees unfortunately but they have some limitations lifted for open source projects like OsmAnd.

Victor Shcherb

Jun 23, 2013, 7:24:15 PM6/23/13
to osmand
Hi
Could you make a fork on github and sign up for 30 days trial? (to give try everyone)
I just don't understand 15000 words... What does it mean we have more :) I'm fine with 20$ per month but this limit is weird.

Victor

Péter Báthory

Jun 23, 2013, 7:42:12 PM6/23/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Personally I prefer translatewiki.net, which is totally free. Transifex is also a nice tool with fast UI, but the history system of Translatewiki is killer feature when you have a frequently changing source language (like OsmAnd). In Transifex its also possible to track changes, but not as simple as in Translatewiki.
As I know, developers of Translatewiki are also volunteers, they can help in migration.

mircozorzo

Jun 24, 2013, 3:12:56 AM6/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I did not understand. Must we translate all again?

Bye, Mirco

Péter Báthory

Jun 24, 2013, 5:11:29 AM6/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
No, of course. But due to Weblate's weakness, its recommended to review the whole translation, because it contains obsolete translations. Thats why I want to change from Weblate.

Debeet

Jun 24, 2013, 12:02:37 PM6/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
There you go:

Unfortunately I need to push languages back to git manually. But it's not a problem now. I guess this 15 000 words limit does not regard open source projects.

Debeet

Jun 24, 2013, 12:43:19 PM6/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
As it turns out, Transifex is completely free for open source projects :)

I am an open source project. Where do I sign up?

We are committed to supporting open source initiatives! Open source projects can sign up to the free plan and enjoy unlimited translations. If you're an open-source project and need a premium account for some reason, get in contact with us.

Victor Shcherb

Jun 24, 2013, 2:36:00 PM6/24/13
to osmand
This is really good news about Transifex. I have only one concern (related both to translatewiki and transifex) : git integration.

So it should be capable to support Android resources and commit to git regularly.
And of course behind migration we have very strong use case : if original (english) string was changed it should be visible for all translations and should be asked to review.

Victor

Rodolfo

Jun 24, 2013, 4:21:21 PM6/24/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
>> Weblate does not tell when a certain string was updated. Because of that there are many outdated translations.

For those, interested in the source changes of the last few months, please see attachment ...
strings.ods
Message has been deleted

Bert Massop

Jun 25, 2013, 8:13:35 PM6/25/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I hope you don't mind me hijacking this conversation. I have recently updated quite some strings for Dutch (nl), and another person seems to be actively translating to Traditional Chinese (zh_TW). Still, I have yet to see a commit with those changes appear. Do I have to do anything for that to happen, should I ask someone to push a button, be a member of some special group, or am I just not patient enough?

All in all I find Weblate quite usable, but I see your problems. Transifex does at the very least look way better, and it does actually seem to provide more or less useful suggestions.

Also, keep up the good work. Thanks, Bert
Message has been deleted

Debeet

Jul 1, 2013, 12:43:52 PM7/1/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I guess you can translations to git periodically by your Jenkins server, as you do with generating map data. You need to pull translations from Transifex and the push them to git.

Transifex supports many resource formats, including Android. You can see it in my test: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/osmand-test/

Alex Buloichik

Jul 2, 2013, 10:45:21 AM7/2/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi All !

First of all, thank you to adding Belarusian language into http://translate.osmand.net/.

I would like to use offline tool for translation (OmegaT).

I tried to upload file using Files/Upload on Weblate(at http://translate.osmand.net), but when I selected "Overwrite existing translations", then Weblate says: "File content merge failed: value[0] must be of type StringElem." It happen even I uploaded file which was downloaded from Weblate. Without "Overwrite existing translations" uploading works good.

WBR, Alex.

Victor Shcherb

Jul 2, 2013, 7:10:29 PM7/2/13
to osmand
Weblate is completely reinstalled. Please sign up again.

Regards,
Victor

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Damjan Gerl <damj...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know if it will be better to change translation "engine". Also for me Weblate is not so bad. But a decision must be chosen: if weblate is to be used then I have a question - is the login names/passwords for weblate been deleted/lose, because I'm not able to login anymore...

Debeet

Jul 4, 2013, 10:07:15 AM7/4/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
With the latest update of Weblate a lot of things just got worse. I can't translate strings from Osmand parking-plugin. Even if I want to translate and I see something like this:

I get suddently discouraged and I don't want to translate anything. There are various problems with tabs and new lines. reviously translated strings (like this one above) now look like... uh... aliens. I think Weblate doesn't like Android resource files much.

Victor Shcherb

Jul 7, 2013, 7:54:24 PM7/7/13
to osmand
I agree with you that big strings are completely not friendly to translate.
But don't underestimate small strings which 90% of strings.xml and they are most important.

So far Weblate does everything automatically which is great advantage! So you can see your translation without waiting on manual actions.

Victor

Alex Buloichik

Jul 8, 2013, 5:17:14 AM7/8/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi All !

Is it any progress in fix uploading files into http://translate.osmand.net/ ?

Weblate still displays error "File content merge failed: value[0] must be of type StringElem." when I'm trying to upload files with "Overwrite existing translations"

WBR, Alex.