Turn-by-turn voice navigation stops talking half-way my trip

139 weergaven
Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
14 apr 2013, 15:31:2114-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Osmand for voice-only cycling navigation, using an earplug. I've prepared a gpx track, and I load it by selecting "guidance" (I'm using the Dutch android version, so I think it translates to this), then selecting cycling, and then GPX-route.

When I start cycling, it all works fantastic. But somewhere during my trip -- I think it was when I took one or two streets off the planned track -- the voice guidance stopped, and I never heard it again. I have tried to reload the track (as described above), and some other things, but it didn't bring back the voice navigation. When I did this, I was already back on the track again.

It was quite frustrating, because it seems I can't rely on this wonderful feature. Most frustrating is that I couldn't find a way to turn it back on -- I had to finish the entire trip without voice guidance :(

Is this a known problem, and is there a way to restore voice navigation when it stops? Or even better, is there way to prevent it from stopping?

I love the app, because it (hopefully) allows me to make cycling trips in less well-known territory, instead of my routine laps. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

Hardy

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 15:11:0815-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
Just to make sure: Are you saying you left the GPX track by chance or on purpose), and then you heard no more voice prompts, eveny after you returned to the track?

I guess you are aware of OsmAnd's "offline navigation in Follow mode" functionaliy (which would always re-calcualte your route "live"), but you particularly want to use pre-defined GPX-tracks, right?

I have never tested GPX-navigation much when leaving it, mostly use GPX tracks for nhiking and look only at them then. I have seen some issues in this forum related to such bugs, particularly missing "you have left the track" messages (which we do not have yet), please search the forum, you may want to join those discussions.
Best, Hardy

Victor Shcherb

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 16:11:1315-04-2013
aan osmand
Hi,

I think this is not OsmAnd issue or not very clear, I really believe you ran TTS and TTS engine failed at one moment and of course OsmAnd restart will not TTS work again. OsmAnd could crash speaking instructions but could not stop especially continuing navigation.

Probably I'm wrong.
Victor

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 16:14:3315-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Hardy <hm.gg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just to make sure: Are you saying you left the GPX track by chance or on purpose), and then you heard no more voice prompts, eveny after you returned to the track?

Correct. I think that was the moment I stopped hearing prompts. I missed a turn, which could have been interpreted as "following the course of the road" and I took another street. What I'm saying is, I did not hear a prompt for this turn, but maybe OsmAnd did not see it as a turn. The problem is that I did not receive any prompts anymore after that.

Having said that, it could also be that the prompts stopped working before the dubious turn, and that this problem is not related to leaving the track at all. I really don't know.

But what worries me even more is that I could not get the prompts working, no matter what I did (reloading the track, etc)!

I guess you are aware of OsmAnd's "offline navigation in Follow mode" functionaliy (which would always re-calcualte your route "live"), but you particularly want to use pre-defined GPX-tracks, right?

Correct. I typically create a circular gpx track, starting end ending at my home or some other place, and then cycle it as fast as possible :)

Of course it's possible that I leave the track (on purpose or not), and I expect OsmAnd at least to pick up the prompts as soon as I enter the track again. Or better, that it guides my back to the track again.

Now that I think of it, I did leave the track shortly once during the same trip, to take a more convenient route, and the prompts picked it up again. So maybe the problem is not related to leaving the track...

I have never tested GPX-navigation much when leaving it, mostly use GPX tracks for nhiking and look only at them then. I have seen some issues in this forum related to such bugs, particularly missing "you have left the track" messages (which we do not have yet), please search the forum, you may want to join those discussions.
Best, Hardy

Thanks for your response Hardy!
Regards,
Tom

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 16:23:3515-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victor,
Thanks for your response. With my lack of detailed OsmAnd knowledge, I have some problems understanding your answer.

What is TTS? And why is not expected that TTS starts working again if OsmAnd is restarted?

Do you know if there is there anything I can do to start voice guidance again if it stops working half-way a GPX-track?

Thanks for your help,
Tom

Victor Shcherb

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 16:25:5315-04-2013
aan osmand
There are 2 voice packages TTS (text to speech) and recorded. You select when you download.
TTS is usually a system in Android or an application, when it fails than TTS restarted is needed or a phone reboot.
You can try different TTS engine for example if it is a case.

Victor

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 16:35:0315-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
Ah I understand. Actually I'm using the prerecorded voice files ("en-us") and not the generated voices. So could these problems also be caused by the prerecorded voice files?

Thanks,
Tom

Victor Shcherb

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 16:51:5315-04-2013
aan osmand
No, prerecorded voices should not be such problem. Something went unexpectedly wrong. I never got such issue in foreground mode and restarting definitely should help.

Victor

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 16:59:1815-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
I've restarted the app many times, and reloaded the gpx track many times, but I never got the voices back :(

Only when I was back home, at the start/end point of the track, restarting the app enabled voice again... So it looks like voice does not work for a gpx track when you start navigating on another location than the starting point? I'll experiment a bit.

Victor Shcherb

ongelezen,
15 apr 2013, 17:00:5115-04-2013
aan osmand
Please do it and let us know, it will help localize the problem.

Thanks,
Victor

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
17 apr 2013, 16:09:2817-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
I performed 2 tests:

1) I prepared a small GPX track, from point A to point B (not circular), total length a few hundred meters. I'm just listening to voice prompts, and not looking on the screen. I started on on point A, but left the track half way, and took another road. (I did not get any voice warnings about leaving the track, but if I'm correct that issue is already addressed in another discussion). While off-track, I'm not receiving any voice prompts anymore. When I head back to the track, the voice prompts resume again, pretty much as expected. So this test succeeded.

2) I prepared a bigger GPX track, from point A to point B, where B is very close to A (say 10 meters), total length some 45 kilometers. So effectively a circular track. Again, I'm just listening to voice prompts -- my phone is in my pocket. I hop on my bike on point A, and immediately get voice prompts. But after some 100 meters from the start point, I hear a prompt saying "Follow the course of the road for" and then nothing. After that no more voice prompts, no matter what I do. I've restarted the app, reloaded the GPX track -- no voice prompts at all! After reloading the track, I only see a straight blue line from my position back to the starting point, and the blue track.

I hope it is possible to find the cause of this problem. If there is anything I can provide to help, please let me know.

Best regards,
Tom

Victor Shcherb

ongelezen,
17 apr 2013, 17:05:3317-04-2013
aan osmand
2nd issue is a bug of circular routes. To fix it we need to reproduce it 1 to 1, so we need 2 GPX (one you loaded and one you moved along). Please use monitoring services to save your movement.

Once you have it, please feel free to submit a bug.

But as a small advice, try to avoid circular routes in radius 100-200 meters.

Thanks
Victor

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
17 apr 2013, 17:48:3417-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
I actually have recorded this trip, so I just created the bug report (id 1802).

I'll definitely test your proposed workaround. Unfortunately this is not possible if the track was not created by myself, but someone else, e.g. for a formally organized cycling tour. Or is there a way to edit a GPX track, so I can make sure that it is not fully circular?

Thanks for your help so far!

Tom

Hardy

ongelezen,
17 apr 2013, 18:50:2617-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
Tom, you can edit GPX tracks any time with a conventional text editor. Have a look at them they are easy to understand.

If Victor thinks there is a bug with (near) circular tracks, this is likely the truth!  :-)

Otherwise I would have asked you to experiment with the setting "Pass along entire track", to try to avoid OsmAnd looking for an obvious shortcurt to the destination.

Tom van den Berge

ongelezen,
18 apr 2013, 03:30:4418-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com
I hope it can be fixed. Riding along a gpx track with voice guidance is really an excellent feature, and the main reason for me to use OsmAnd.

FYI: I pretty much always enable the "Pass along entire track" option, so it doesn't seem to help.

--

Harry van der Wolf

ongelezen,
18 apr 2013, 07:33:2518-04-2013
aan osm...@googlegroups.com

2013/4/17 Tom van den Berge <tom.van...@gmail.com>

I actually have recorded this trip, so I just created the bug report (id 1802).

I'll definitely test your proposed workaround. Unfortunately this is not possible if the track was not created by myself, but someone else, e.g. for a formally organized cycling tour. Or is there a way to edit a GPX track, so I can make sure that it is not fully circular?

Thanks for your help so far!

Use Routeconverter to modify your GPX-track. You can find it at http://routeconverter.de/home/.

Harry
Allen beantwoorden