Users of Google maps: Too small to read?

CGM

Apr 13, 2013, 10:40:33 PM4/13/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Am I the only one who finds using other map sources, such as Google Maps, difficult to read on a high resolution display? On a 7.7 inch, 1280 x 800 dpi tablet I find the text too small to read, especially when using the device as a GPS while driving.

I find the Google maps display layout easier to use than standard Osmand vector generated maps (perhaps because I use Google maps on a PC regularly) and quicker to load for medium and low resolution maps.

I proposed earlier on this forum that a user-adjustable screen magnification be provided (as has already been done in the Planning/Measurement plugin that is available for trialing), but did not receive any responses. So am I the only one who would llke to be able to vary the screen magnification to increase the size of all objects displayed on the map, or do you want it too?

Please respond by adding your preference to this forum topic. Refer to the previous proposal on this forum for more details.

CGM

Apr 13, 2013, 10:45:14 PM4/13/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Victor Shcherb

Apr 14, 2013, 5:04:40 AM4/14/13
to osmand
I think this is an application bug rather than plugin improvement. We definitely should fix it in the core.
First of all it will be worth  to make some screenshot to understand the problem.
How it should be :
- The layout of table with drawable-mdpi should be the same as with drawable-hdpi. I have only drawable-mdpi table so I tested only there and it looks reasonable.
- There are settings like Map-> TextSize which could help but not everywhere.
How to solve it?
1. All resources from drawable-large should be scaled in 1.5 and moved to folder drawable-large-hdpi.
2. Find the bugs in the UI and check in the core if density multiplier is ok. Most likely there is a problem there.

Best Regards,
Victor

Hardy

Apr 14, 2013, 5:52:42 AM4/14/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Victor, I can work on the graphics scaling,have some good software for that, but will wait for the settlement about the latest copyright issues.

Had not known about these issues anyway, could have put in a few days in months ago to re-work all our graphics in a quick, new, and simplistic (iconic) style, which would likely have avoided our current issues ... :-(

CGM

Apr 19, 2013, 10:48:58 AM4/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I have appended some screen shots from Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 inch (P6800). The Magnification x1, x2 and x3 are were captured with the Planning/Measurement plugin enabled and the "Without Magnification" screeenshot with it Planning/Measurement disabled (standard OSMAND).

I do not think this is in any way a bug but simply due to the way the Samsung reports the display density. It is nominally 196 (about medium density) but Samsung uses high density.

The issue is that device manufacturers control these parameters, which you have tried to compensate for by adding a "high resolution" test to boost the screen magnification. You are trying to accommodate all possible changes in devices presently and in the future, rather than allowing the user to determine what adjustments he/she would prefer to make.

This is why I recommend providing the flexibility of a user-defined and readily adjustable (by optional on-screen buttons) magnification. I provided a magnification range of x1 to x4, which does not cause any appreciable blurring of the screen display.

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:40:33 PM UTC+10, CGM wrote:
Magnified x 2.png
Magnified x 3.png
Planning Point Menu.png
Planning-Measurement Menu.png
Without magnification.png
magnified x 1.png
Message has been deleted

CGM

Apr 19, 2013, 11:02:20 AM4/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:40:33 PM UTC+10, CGM wrote:
Planning track example.png