'Default' profile now renamed

Hardy

Jun 19, 2013, 6:37:06 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb

After lengthy discussions over various threads and lots of user confusion over this, I have now renamed our former "default" use profile to "Neutral map", so we have the profiles:
- Neutral map
- Car
- Bicycle
- Pedestrian

Looks like in the end we had pretty much a tie whether we shoudl name the first one "Map view" (which better indicates it is not a navigation profile), or "Neutral map", which better indicates the map display does not favor any particluar means of transportation. Probably not a big deal one way or the other, all are better than "default".

I hope that Victor will also change the quick-selector icon ("soccer-playing pedestrian") some time soon to the world map icon.

Victor Shcherb

Jun 20, 2013, 4:30:34 PM6/20/13
to Hardy, osmand
:)

Ar Age

Jun 20, 2013, 5:31:16 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hardy and Victor!
I think "neutral map" sound a bit odd. I understand what you try to accomplish and what Hardy said (separate viewing a map from navigation possibilities) but I think a map is always neutral.
So why don't you call it just "Map" and make it a system profile. The other profiles can be set by the user himself so those are the user profiles (or even better "User Transportation Profiles"). Maybe that's a better way to make it more obvious to end users what the difference is between these profiles?

Cheers
Rene

Nelson A. de Oliveira

Jun 20, 2013, 5:37:26 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Or "View mode".

Hardy

Jun 20, 2013, 6:20:02 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Please keep going with suggestions .. maybe somebody finds the magic expression here...    :-)

- I am willing to go with just "Map" (although I do not agree that all maps are "neutral": E.g. our pedestrian map is heavily biased, towards paths, both in strokewidth as well and in displaying them on top of most other things.. Same for bike and car. )    :)

- "View mode" sort of picks up my thinking with "Map view", although "View mode" seems less specific to tell what you view ... And if you want to view hiking paths, then the "View mode" would not be your best choice ... :-)

- Look to me like somehow "Map" should be in there: "Map view", "Neutral map", "Unbiased map", or just "Map" ...

Nelson A. de Oliveira

Jun 20, 2013, 6:22:39 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
My TomTom GPS has "Browse map" for its view map mode.

Hardy

Jun 20, 2013, 6:48:43 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I like that ... !    Will steal it with pride unless anybody has any other idea  :-)

Sabra Sharaya

Jun 20, 2013, 8:18:10 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I think "Normal Map" would be better than "Neutral Map". At least in English. "Neutral" suggests some kind of competition between the rest of the maps.

john whelan

Jun 20, 2013, 8:43:29 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
But unfortunately normal map or normal mapping is a technique used to indicate height such as contours so "normal map"also implies something.  "Bland"? perhaps

Cheerio John

On 20 June 2013 20:18, Sabra Sharaya <sabras...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think "Normal Map" would be better than "Neutral Map". At least in English. "Neutral" suggests some kind of competition between the rest of the maps.

Sabra Sharaya

Jun 20, 2013, 10:44:33 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
But we have to try to think like normal people, however difficult that may be. And normal people will probably not think of a normal map as a bump map. They will consider the definitions of "normal" and "map" separately.

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 21, 2013, 5:12:09 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

I like "Browse map"
or perhaps "General view mode" or "General map view"
or perhaps "map view mode" or "view mode"

I don't like the use of neutral either.

Harry

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 21, 2013, 5:12:36 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
or "preview mode"?

Péter Báthory

Jun 21, 2013, 5:26:20 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
+1 General view

or "preview mode"?

Nico W

Jun 21, 2013, 8:00:07 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
Generic map

Areg

Jun 21, 2013, 8:15:14 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
+1 Browse map

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 21, 2013, 8:17:14 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I don't think "Generic" is good, and neither is/was my suggestion for General.
With generic or general you might think it is a generic or general navigation mode while the others are specific navigation modes: car, bike, etc.
But it's NOT a navigation mode.
It has to be something with browse or (over)view (or examine?) IMHO.

Harry

2013/6/21 Nico W <wiss...@gmail.com>
Generic map

Andre

Jun 21, 2013, 8:20:37 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Explore Map?

Andre.oid

Hardy

Jun 21, 2013, 9:14:07 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I had changed it to "Brwose map" last night (stolen with pride, thx, Nelson), and got some pretty good feedback from people I know directly. I guess we can stay with that unless any genius strikes here ...    :-)

Ar Age

Jun 21, 2013, 1:25:50 PM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Yup, "Browse Map" is the best description.

Sabra Sharaya

Jun 21, 2013, 5:00:27 PM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
What about "Standard Map"?

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 21, 2013, 5:17:27 PM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

2013/6/21 Sabra Sharaya <sabras...@gmail.com>
What about "Standard Map"?

(The) Standard Map for what? Navigation or Browsing?

I feel more and more for the current "Browse".

Harry

Onkar Shinde

Jun 22, 2013, 11:23:56 AM6/22/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I agree, 'Browse Map' sounds good.

S.by

Jun 22, 2013, 12:15:56 PM6/22/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hello all ,

I have been thinking yesterday of a "must" feature for this app .

....When a person or a family is/are planing a trip they examine alternatives .

So ... when the family reaches the site of the trip ... they plan reaching from point A to B by :

A)  foot ( paths) ( Pedestian )

Immediately after that they want to examine the alternative by pressing only one button after the route is already planned . By pressing this button the app would give : going from point A to point B ... this time by

B)  car ( roads ) ...

This button maybe only pressing the car profile after the route has been set .

So giving this idea the first profile " Browse map " would be the only profile that the app wouldn't calculate a route according to it's profile .

Of course this is only an idea with the combination of the profile icon (  because you are discussing it now )  and otherwise it can be done by another button also ( "alternative route" button . or somthing like that )

Later the " fastest/ shortest" can be added to roads only as a fast click option .

Cheers :)

C K

Jun 26, 2013, 8:20:01 AM6/26/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
"Regular" would be even better imho then "Normal"

Rodolfo

Jun 26, 2013, 2:47:37 PM6/26/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
"Browse Map" seems OK in English, but is rather difficult to translate in several other languages.
"Base Map" would make it easier to translate for rest of the world.

B.t.w. In the configure screen -> rendering mode -> "optimize map for", it still says "default".

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sabra Sharaya

Jun 26, 2013, 5:28:52 PM6/26/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I don't think "Browse Map" is okay in English. Browse is a verb, not an adjective. "Regular" works though.

Onkar Shinde

Jun 26, 2013, 5:50:23 PM6/26/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
How about 'Standard Map' or 'General Map'?

Sabra Sharaya

Jun 26, 2013, 8:07:58 PM6/26/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
No matter what names or phrases are used, one must remember that the apps have to be designed for end users, not computer scientists. The wrong kind of thinking leads to production software with phrases like "unmount disk" instead of "eject" or "safely remove disk".

Hardy

Jun 27, 2013, 7:07:59 PM6/27/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
Rodolf, when you say
    "configure screen -> rendering mode -> "optimize map for", it still says "default",
do you actually mean "Configute screen / Map style" ? There it is supposed to say "default", because it has nothing to do with the use profile, but instead offers the choice between our default map style vs. Touring view and some other map styles... It had been part of the former confusion that we had a use profile and a map style both called "default", although they had nothing to do with each other ...

Rodolfo

Jun 28, 2013, 3:39:55 AM6/28/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
>> do you actually mean "Configute screen / Map style" ? There it is supposed to say "default"

No, I really mean "configure screen" -> "rendering mode"  (in the "rendering attributes" section)
The list says: default / car / bicycle / pedestrian.
Yesterday's build.

Hardy

Jun 28, 2013, 6:28:10 AM6/28/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
Aha, I see! Something I never touch, and discourage users from touching ... :-)

Thanks! Will have to check in the code if those strings are maybe not localized correctly ...!

Hardy

Jun 28, 2013, 7:22:18 AM6/28/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
Looks like that dialogue is actually populated with non-localized routerProfile -names, while it should really be populated by the (localized) use profile names.

I can't currently find where the dialogue header rendering_attr_appMode_description is being used, maybe the code was re-structured an I am not browsing all sub-projects? Victor, could you mabye have a look? Thx!

Rodolfo

Jun 28, 2013, 7:30:43 AM6/28/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
>> Something I never touch, and discourage users from touching...

I'm with you. I wouldn't shed a tear if this option was removed :)

Hardy

Jun 29, 2013, 4:22:37 AM6/29/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com, Victor Shcherb
I was blind - guess I am about ready for a vacation. Yes, it is not localized, as it is a RenderingProperty. But at least I fixed it in English.

About the visibility of that setting: Yes, debatable if it should be visible in the first place. Normally this should be (only) intrinsic to the use profile. The additional flexibilty of being able to configure more (i.e. some of the other) profiles with e.g. bicycle optimzation also may be useful for a few users, but not the general public, I guess ... Guess we should think about hiding it...