Distance calculation failure

Marc Hennus

Jun 16, 2013, 10:00:12 AM6/16/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just tried this software with my mountain bike.

I used it mainly "offroad" but this road are on the map and used by the software. The destination is a address find by the soft.

When I start navigation, the soft calculate the distance correctly (it say the good distance). The calculated road is good on the map.
Just after the distance is completely wrong (the road stay ok on the screen) ! Last example, real distance is 600m, soft say and write more than 30km !
The distance will stay wrong until the end. The soft say always "continue x km" (I use in French, don't know what it say in English).

Regards,

M.

Victor Shcherb

Jun 16, 2013, 2:06:34 PM6/16/13
to osmand
Hello,

This is known issue for Android 4.2. Is it a case?

Regards,
Victor

Sergiy Stetsuk

Jun 19, 2013, 2:09:56 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I have the same issue on android 4.1.2. So it is not only 4.2's bug.

Marc Hennus

Jun 19, 2013, 3:03:57 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm on android 4.2.1.

I want to use this software for voice guidance (difficult to view the screen in direct sunlight).

Is it possible to disable the "total distance option" and keep only the "next turn"?

In other words, keep the "turn left in 200m" which seems accurate and simply remove all "continue 10km" that are completely unreliable and constantly changing?

Regards,

Marc

Hardy

Jun 19, 2013, 3:14:47 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Marc, are you saying that the distance announcements *work correctly* for the turn instructions like "Turn left in", but fail for "Continue x km"?

Could you please specify what voice you are using (fr-tts?), what exactly the announcements are which fail (What do they say in French?), and if you use GPX routing, OsmAnd offline routing, or some online routing provider?

Thx- Hardy

Marc Hennus

Jun 19, 2013, 3:26:03 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
That's the impression I got. I have to recheck that.

I used Osmand offline routing, voice fr.

started with GPX routing and finished without
. Bad message both but impression than many more bad message without GPX routing.

Hardy

Jun 19, 2013, 3:41:39 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I assum you use fr-tts?

Could you please also activate Settings/Plugins/Osmand development, then go to Settings/Osmand development /Test voice prompts and check if they all tell you what the respective buttons say, or if there is already an error there.

In you 'real-world' situation, we need to find out what prompts exactly fail, if it is only some of them (which puzzles me ...)

Marc Hennus

Jun 19, 2013, 4:07:46 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
fr-tts ? Don't know how to check.

After 370m turn sharply right -> After 350m...
After 640m make a U-turn -> After 600m...
Prepare to keep left after 370m -> ... after 350m
When possible, make a U-turn -> NOTHING
GPS signal lost -> NOTHING
Route recalculated (23150m) -> NOTHING
Follow the road for 360m and arrive at waypoint -> "Continuez pendant 350m" (it's the message a hear too many times with bad distance - I used waypoint to create my "route" when I don't use GPX - Maybe why I hear more bad messages in this situation - In retrospect, I have the impression that with GPX, the only bad messages concerned the total distance.)
Arrive at waypoint -> NOTHING
Arrive at destination -> NOTHING

All the long distance are translated by "more than x km" but it's ok.

Hope it help.

check real-world later.

Hardy

Jun 19, 2013, 5:37:52 AM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Marc, I think there may be a bug in the French recorded voice you seem to be using.

To solve your issue, please try this
 - Settings / Data Management / Download button /Voice packs(TTS) / select fr-tss / tap Download (1)
 - then Settings / Navigation / (for all profiles you need) / Voice guidance / select fr-tts

If you have tts set up properly in your Android phone settings, it should now work without errors. Please report.

tts speech quality strongly depends on the tts engine you use, users report good results with PICO / SVOX, but also google's built-in text to speech should produce reasoable results ...

David White

Jun 19, 2013, 2:18:15 PM6/19/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com

Especially asthw French voices where done almost 2 years ago, and messages have changed a lot since

David

Marc Hennus

Jun 20, 2013, 11:28:34 AM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I made this change (fr-tts).

When I check the voice it seems that some part of the message are in an other language than French (slave language ?) !

I realy understand nothing with the translation of "arrive at waypoint" in "follow the road for 360m and arrive at waypoint" and "arrive at waypoint".

"Prepare to make a U-turn after 400m" is ok.
"After 640m make a U-turn", "Make a U-turn", "When possible, make a U-turn" have problem with "U-turn" something like "demi-m-un-tour" instead of "demi-tour". The "when possible" is not translated.

Will check with my bicycle next week.

Regards,

Marc

Harry van der Wolf

Jun 20, 2013, 12:19:15 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
I assume you have your Android set at French, but did you also check whether your test-to-speech is set to french?
You have the settings behind the Google or pico-tts. If your phone/tablet defaults to us-american, your tts for french will be rubbish.

Harry

2013/6/20 Marc Hennus <mhe...@gmail.com>

Marc Hennus

Jun 20, 2013, 3:22:42 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
My settings were good.
I changed to Pico ...

Quality grow up !

The "U-turn" problem disappeared.
The "when possible" is still not translated.
The translation of
"
arrive at waypoint" is still incomprehensible. This is not French ! A bad link / parameters in the soft...

Marc

Hardy

Jun 20, 2013, 6:32:54 PM6/20/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, true, thank you for pointing it out!

Upon inspection of the file, could you please translate the following phrases, they are not translated yet. I can then amend the file:
- "and arrive at your via point" (via point is equivalne to waypoint)
- "you have reached your via point"
- "When possible, please make a U turn"

Marc Hennus

Jun 21, 2013, 2:37:45 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
"you have reached your via point" -> "vous avez atteind votre étape" or "vous avez atteind l'étape" (first case, I translate "your", second case not - With "your" it means there is only one via point and this is the one).
"and arrive at your waypoint" -> "et arriver à votre étape" or "et arriver à l'étape" ("arriver" is the verb "arrive" and normally must be write "arrivez" or "arrivé" depend on the complete sentence - it sound the same for the three)
"When possible, please make U turn" -> "Dès que possible, faites demi-tour".

Nice to help you and happy to see your reactivity.

Feel free to ask more (Vietnamese translation ? :-))

Marc Hennus

Jun 21, 2013, 7:02:56 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
"Atteint" instead of "atteind" ! Sorry :-(

Hardy

Jun 21, 2013, 9:03:18 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Marc, thanks! I have not enough time to get into Vietnamese at this point, but am willing to get the French straight ...  :-)

Question: Could we combine the 2 cases each you mention if we simply translated "You have arrived at a waypoint" and "and arrive at a waypoint"?

While it is possible to make the case distinction you talk about, for the sake of my time I am trying to keep it simple ... :-)

Thanks,
Hardy

Hardy

Jun 21, 2013, 9:07:31 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
PS: Or can it simply be done like it is implemented for the final destination:
 - ['et arrivez à destination '].
-  ['vous êtes arrivé à destination '].   ?

So I would just replace "destination by etape" (or votre point intermédiaire , which google told me last night)?

Marc Hennus

Jun 21, 2013, 10:50:51 AM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
You can do like that (replace "destination" by "étape").

Good french is "à l'étape". If you say "à étape" it's ok to understand and more easy if in the future you say the name of your waypoint. I'm not sure than other soft say "à l'étape". Quite sure they just say "à étape".

"étape" is the word used by other gps soft. "point intermédiaire" is not really used in this situation (but it's not bad).

Marc

Hardy

Jun 21, 2013, 12:17:02 PM6/21/13
to osm...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks, it is online now in latest nightly build.

I have spelled it as you specified. This may or may not be best for the tts engines, not sure (I guess in some cases deliberate mis-spelling can improve pronunciation or intonation). But I leave any fine-tuning to a native speaker ... :-) We should be 90% there.

Merci beaucoup for supporting, best, Hardy