100% CPU on all Forbes articles, with 9.27

John H Meyers

Nov 1, 2008, 7:29:27 PM11/1/08
I'm using Opera 9.27 (8841) Win32 (XP)

Every time I click on an RSS feed leading to Forbes, e.g.

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2008/10/31/obama-health-care-oped-cx_scp_1101pipes.html

my CPU goes to 100% and nothing ever appears.

Both Firefox 3 and Safari 3 (for Windows)
give immediate display and no lockup.

Opera 9.62 (installed to independent path) is also okay,
but I'm in no hurry to migrate
(have been watching the history of issues with both 9.5 and 9.6,
plus the fact that even NirSoft's new Opera Cache Manager
is unable to display anything in my own cache,
which is the first that even Windows can't properly handle by itself,
which had been the best of all possible "Cache Managers").

Franc Zabkar

Nov 12, 2008, 2:22:32 AM11/12/08
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 18:29:27 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I'm using Opera 9.27 (8841) Win32 (XP)
>
>Every time I click on an RSS feed leading to Forbes, e.g.
>
>http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2008/10/31/obama-health-care-oped-cx_scp_1101pipes.html
>
>my CPU goes to 100% and nothing ever appears.

I'm running Win98SE and Opera 9.27 on an AMD K6-2 450MHz box. I see
the same problem.

>Both Firefox 3 and Safari 3 (for Windows)
>give immediate display and no lockup.
>
>Opera 9.62 (installed to independent path) is also okay,
>but I'm in no hurry to migrate
>(have been watching the history of issues with both 9.5 and 9.6,

Same here. I've tried 9.5x and had to revert to 9.27 because of
resource issues.

- Franc Zabkar

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Nov 12, 2008, 10:18:08 AM11/12/08
Op Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:22:32 +0100 schreef Franc Zabkar
<fza...@iinternode.on.net>:

>> Opera 9.62 (installed to independent path) is also okay,
>> but I'm in no hurry to migrate
>> (have been watching the history of issues with both 9.5 and 9.6,
>
> Same here. I've tried 9.5x and had to revert to 9.27 because of
> resource issues.

What are "resource issues"?

--
Rijk van Geijtenbeek
Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

"The most common way to get usability wrong is to listen to what users
say rather than actually watching what they do." - J.Nielsen

Franc Zabkar

Nov 13, 2008, 2:34:21 AM11/13/08
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:18:08 +0100, "Rijk van Geijtenbeek"
<ri...@opera.removethiz.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>Op Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:22:32 +0100 schreef Franc Zabkar
><fza...@iinternode.on.net>:
>

>>> Opera 9.62 (installed to independent path) is also okay,
>>> but I'm in no hurry to migrate
>>> (have been watching the history of issues with both 9.5 and 9.6,
>>
>> Same here. I've tried 9.5x and had to revert to 9.27 because of
>> resource issues.
>
>What are "resource issues"?

I had this problem with an early 9.5x version:
http://groups.google.com/group/opera.general/msg/ea2c64185e3837ea?dmode=source

I also had problems with the "fixed" version.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Nov 14, 2008, 4:43:15 AM11/14/08
Op Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:34:21 +0100 schreef Franc Zabkar
<fza...@iinternode.on.net>:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:18:08 +0100, "Rijk van Geijtenbeek"
> <ri...@opera.removethiz.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>>> Same here. I've tried 9.5x and had to revert to 9.27 because of
>>> resource issues.
>>
>> What are "resource issues"?
>
> I had this problem with an early 9.5x version:
> http://groups.google.com/group/opera.general/msg/ea2c64185e3837ea?dmode=source
>
> I also had problems with the "fixed" version.

Oh, Windows 98... We did get more win9x fixes in the newer releases. If
you still have reproducable issues in 9.62, a bug report would be very
welcome. We don't test much anymore on win9x systems beyond 'does it
start', so we rely on volunteers and users to find and file any
non-obvious issues.

No one

Nov 15, 2008, 2:15:19 AM11/15/08
Franc Zabkar <fza...@iinternode.on.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 18:29:27 -0500, "John H Meyers"
> <jhme...@nomail.invalid> put finger to keyboard and
> composed:
>
>>I'm using Opera 9.27 (8841) Win32 (XP)
>>
>>Every time I click on an RSS feed leading to Forbes, e.g.
>>
>>http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2008/10/31/obama-health-care-
>>oped-cx_scp_1101pipes.html
>>
>>my CPU goes to 100% and nothing ever appears.
>
> I'm running Win98SE and Opera 9.27 on an AMD K6-2 450MHz
> box. I see the same problem.
>

>Opera 9.62 (installed to independent path) is also okay,
>but

I got more or less like results.

Using Win98SE and Opera 9.62 and a K6-3, [O.T. I think we can now
conclude with substantial certainity that AMD K6's were soundly
designed processors] I tried that web page and got what seemed
like very inconsistent results with my attempts.

I tried it with only my style sheet and my flash blocker turned
on. Using Process Explorer and its cpu meter in the system tray,
I saw cpu utlization go up, then down, then up, and finally to
near zero.

I turned my flash blocker off. The cpu then hit 100 % for several
seconds, it then went down and back and down to zero. My system
did not take interrupts from my keyboard but did from my mouse.

It seemed like something turned something off.

I turned the author style sheet on. That didn't seem to make
much difference.

When I viewed the site, it had an animated ad for Volveo. I
noticed some spinning car wheels in the ad. Somewhere in the past
I read something somewhere about the spinning wheel effect in
Flash being a big cpu hog.

I did not observe a continuous period of 100% cpu utlization.
Rather it would hit 100% for while and then go up and down for no
apparent reason.

Then I tried the site with 9.27. The site started loading and
cpu utlization hit 100% consistently. The site stalled
downloaing. I hit escape and the status bar went away. The cpu
utilization continued at 100 %.

I turned my flash blocker off and got the same result.

I turned the site style sheet on and got the same result.

It seems like 9.62 recognizes Flash running away and turns it
off. In general, I think 9.62 is an improvement for Flash.