Integrate external editor in opera input field?

Wu, Yue

Oct 20, 2009, 8:16:15 PM10/20/09
I like to use some other editor for editing, for example, I like to use
vim[www.vim.org], opera built-in's is so limited, Is it possible to
configure opera to invoke external editor for editing when in input
field(especially in composing email's input field)?

If it can, it think it's a nice feature request.

P.S. some editors like vim, support nicely the feature of the integration
with other IDEs.

Wu, Yue

Jens Schuessler

Oct 20, 2009, 10:36:18 PM10/20/09
* Wu, Yue <van...@gmail.com> [21-10-09 00:16]:

> I like to use some other editor for editing, for example, I like to use
> vim[www.vim.org], opera built-in's is so limited, Is it possible to
> configure opera to invoke external editor for editing when in input
> field(especially in composing email's input field)?
>
> If it can, it think it's a nice feature request.

As a vim-user, I would die for such a feature. Writing in input fields
on websites is pain in the ass without working shortcuts.
But I don't think that this is possible.

Aaron W. Hsu

Oct 21, 2009, 2:24:52 AM10/21/09

This is probably the feature I would desire most in an upcoming version of
Opera. Especially an editor for textfields and Email composition windows
in M2.

Aaron W. Hsu

--
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. -- C. S. Lewis

Umin

Oct 21, 2009, 8:01:24 AM10/21/09
Nel suo scritto precedente, Wu, Yue ha sostenuto :

> I like to use some other editor for editing, for example, I like to use
> vim[www.vim.org], opera built-in's is so limited, Is it possible to configure
> opera to invoke external editor for editing when in input field(especially in
> composing email's input field)?
[...]

something also like roboform could be VERY much appreciate

--
Umin

me

Oct 21, 2009, 7:15:00 PM10/21/09
"Wu, Yue" <van...@gmail.com> wrote in

You can always write in an an external editor or word
processor and cut and paste the text to an Opera text box.

I do that myself but would be the first to add that the
process is easier said than done.

One issue is whether to compose originally only externally or
both compose and edit externally. Once you have put the text
in a text box and use a preview function to discover needed
changes, correcting a single error in a text box can be easy
but rewriting and adding can be pain.

Also, frequently I write quickly something in a text box,
thinking I will write just few words, only to discover that
I have written more than a few and I wish I had started in my
word processor.

Leon Fisk

Oct 22, 2009, 1:06:03 PM10/22/09
Maybe, "Wu, Yue" <van...@gmail.com>
Wrote in <op.u14i1drl7doriy@bsd>

If you want to create a special Keyboard entry, part of this
can be done. Use something like this (remove the leading
">"):

>F10=Select all & Copy & Execute program, "G:\PrgFiles\FileUtils\Notepad2\Notepad2.exe"

Make sure you use a key combination that isn't being used
already. I used F10 for testing this.

Place your cursor in an edit box and then hit your key
combo. This should copy everything in the box to the
clip-board and open the target application. Then just use
the customary paste in your application and type away. When
you are finished in the external application, Select All +
Copy and then either close or switch back to Opera and
Paste.

If you can invoke your external program in someway to
automatically start with a wad of text on the command line
you might be able to use this:

>F10=Select all & Copy & Execute program, "G:\PrgFiles\FileUtils\Notepad2\Notepad2.exe","%c"

My test program doesn't have any such means.

I tried making an Opera Menu item for this, but it wouldn't
recognize the "Select all". The rest of the command worked
though. To use the custom menu entry method you would have
to do a "Select all" first and then invoke.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Thomas Scholz

Oct 24, 2009, 7:22:27 AM10/24/09
Wu, Yue:

> I like to use some other editor for editing, for example, I like to use
> vim[www.vim.org], opera built-in's is so limited, Is it possible to
> configure opera to invoke external editor for editing when in input
> field(especially in composing email's input field)?

You could invoke <http://gpl.internetconnection.net/vi/> per user script.

Thomas

--
http://toscho.de