Increacing the maximum heap size available for the Wonderland server.

Carl Jokl

Feb 8, 2011, 9:13:16 AM2/8/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
I have been looking in the build.xml and my.run.properties but I
cannot easily see where the settings are located which determine how
much memory the Wonderland server is allowed to use. I suppose as it
is being started via apache ant that the ant options supplied to allow
for building may apply to running too. Is this the case or are some
arguments stored somewhere which determine how much memory the server
can use?

It is perhaps possible that the VM I am running the Wonderland server
on might be running out of memory but I am going to increace that and
see if it helps. I have had the server die on me a couple of times
with an out of memory error (but was releaved that I had not lost what
I had been working on). Is it possible that the out of memory errors
are manifest as part of a bug i.e. when something goes wrong the
server starts leaking memory until it runs out?

Jonathan Kaplan

Feb 8, 2011, 3:55:29 PM2/8/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

There are several different server components, so the first step is figuring out which one is running out of memory.

If it is the web server, you can modify the top-level build.xml file to increase the heap. You would do this in the "run-without-wrapper" target where it starts Java. Alternately, you can build the server using "ant package", and then run it with a command like:

java -jar dist/Wonderland.jar -Xmx900m my.run.properties

This will start the web server using the setting from my.run.properties with 900 MB of Java heap.

If the Darkstar server is running out of memory, you can modify the run script used to start Darkstar, which is at wonderland/core/build-tools/run-scripts/run-server.xml. You can add arguments to the java invocation in the core-run-server target.

It would be great to know why the server is running out of memory. The only known memory leak in the web server is to do with screen sharing. Are you using the screen sharer module?

Carl Jokl

Feb 9, 2011, 5:59:06 AM2/9/11
to Open Wonderland Forum
I have increased the memory of my Virtual Machine from 1.5GB of ram to
2.5GB of ram which seems to have stopped the out of memory exceptions.
I will keep monitoring things and see if I have any more problems but
at least I know now where the best places are to change the memory
arguments for the server / components.

Josmas Flores

Feb 9, 2011, 6:30:07 AM2/9/11
to openwon...@googlegroups.com
Guys, I have started a page in the community wiki about memory troubleshooting.

http://faithhold.dyndns.org:8080/JSPWiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Troubleshooting%20Memory%20Problems

If you guys can review it, amend, contribute, that would be great!

cheers,
José