Service Document in AtomPub

Eiji Kitamura

Jun 3, 2008, 6:16:44 PM6/3/08
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Hi,

In OpenSocial v0.8's RESTful API spec, it saids to use XRDS-Simple to
discover resources.

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.8/restfulspec.html

But in terms of AtomPub(as OpenSocial RESTful API is written in
AtomPub), Service Document should be more recommended to use (I
believe they to similar things).

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5023

How should container provider do with them?
Implement both of them?

Eiji.

David Primmer

Jun 3, 2008, 6:39:06 PM6/3/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com

Hi Eiji,

I don't think an atom pub service doc will be very useful to a server
that only serves the restful social api spec. The Atom Pub Service
Document is really only useful in situations where you have a fairly
small number of static resources on your server. It wasn't intended to
describe dynamic services like the social apis. (By dynamic, I mean
parts of the url paths to resources that are variables with many
possible options).

The XRDS doc tries to accommodate this by using url templates and
allowing a client to construct a request and "fill in the blanks". I
don't think you'll find anything like this in the Service Doc, since
it's designed to have real, working links that you can transverse to
use the AtomPub service.

Abdera, the server framework, has code to generate ServiceDocs, by the
way. Shindig just doesn't use it.

davep

> Eiji.

Eiji Kitamura

Jun 4, 2008, 6:16:16 AM6/4/08
to opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I see the difference between ServiceDoc and XRDS, and yes, I prefer
XRDS to ServiceDoc.
But in terms of compliance to the spec, isn't this making confusion?
Is there any action to propose AtomPub spec team to replace ServiceDoc
with XRDS?

Eiji

Rob Yates

Jun 11, 2008, 10:00:40 PM6/11/08
to OpenSocial and Gadgets Specification Discussion
Have you all seen the features spec http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-snell-atompub-feature-12.
This would seem like a good fit and if it needs some tweaks, am sure
that James would be willing to modify it,

Rob