Just Jesus' words?

Nathan Smith

Mar 11, 2012, 11:54:56 AM3/11/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
I had a friend inquire about doing some analysis of just Jesus' words from the New Testament. The analysis he wants done is fairly simple, but the challenge I am finding is the source text.

Does anyone know of a free download of just the text of Jesus' words? It would be like a red-letter edition with just the red letters. ;-) Plain text would be perfect, but other accessible formats would be fine. Short of that, anyone have a suggestion for how to programmatically extract just his words from an existing textual source? Thanks.

--
Nathan Smith
http://nathan.smithfam.info

Weston Ruter

Mar 11, 2012, 12:54:54 PM3/11/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com

I think the ESV API has an option for the words of Christ in red. You could even get the Crossway XML output format with that option turned on, and then extract all of the words marked up as such. Otherwise you could scrape the HTML format.

Sent from a mobile device

Nigel Chapman

Mar 11, 2012, 12:55:14 PM3/11/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nathan,

Find a red letter text online. Paste the gospels into one HTML page and add JQuery. Depending in how the text is marked up, use something like $('font[color="#880000"]') to select the red sections and then loop through, copying them to DIVs at the end (or wherever you want them).

Nigel

Kahunapule Michael Johnson

Mar 11, 2012, 8:19:19 PM3/11/12
On 03/11/2012 05:54 AM, Nathan Smith wrote:
> I had a friend inquire about doing some analysis of just Jesus' words from the New Testament. The analysis he wants done is fairly simple, but the challenge I am finding is the source text.
>
> Does anyone know of a free download of just the text of Jesus' words? It would be like a red-letter edition with just the red letters. ;-) Plain text would be perfect, but other accessible formats would be fine. Short of that, anyone have a suggestion for how to programmatically extract just his words from an existing textual source? Thanks.

http://eBible.org/web/eng-web_usfx.zip ... unzip and look between <wj> and </wj>.

If that is all you look at, it is kind of like hearing one side of a telephone conversation in a lot of places, but it should be easy to extract.

Nathan Smith

Mar 12, 2012, 1:10:55 AM3/12/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com

This looks like just the ticket, though sadly ebible.org is showing the Centos default apache page at the moment. :-(

Kahunapule Michael Johnson

Mar 12, 2012, 3:17:57 AM3/12/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
eBible.org is back from the dead, now. Sorry about that. I was fighting a security issue on the server, and it turns out that it is hard to move 108 domains quickly from one machine to another without somebody noticing something amiss. If eBible.org glitches like that again, please email me directly. For a limited time, the same file can be downloaded from the old server at http://old.mpj.us/web/eng-web_usfx.zip if the new one disappears again.

Shalom,
Michael
http://MLJohnson.org

Nathan Smith

Mar 12, 2012, 3:06:06 PM3/12/12
On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:17:57PM -1000, Kahunapule Michael Johnson wrote:
> eBible.org is back from the dead, now. Sorry about that. I was fighting a security issue on the server, and it turns out that it is hard to move 108 domains quickly from one machine to another without somebody noticing something amiss. If eBible.org glitches like that again, please email me directly. For a limited time, the same file can be downloaded from the old server at http://old.mpj.us/web/eng-web_usfx.zip if the new one disappears again.
>
> Shalom,
> Michael
> http://MLJohnson.org

Thanks, that worked great. The <wj> tag was nice and easy to work with. If anyone is curious, this [0] is what I did with it.

[0] https://gitorious.org/biblical-studies/biblical-studies/blobs/master/wordsofjesus.py

evstevemd

Apr 18, 2012, 3:01:46 PM4/18/12
to Open Scriptures
Hi Nathan,
Trying to run python file in Ubuntu I got error:

$ python wordsofjesus.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "wordsofjesus.py", line 33, in <module>
stops = stopwords.words('english')
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nltk/corpus/util.py", line
68, in __getattr__
self.__load()
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/nltk/corpus/util.py", line
56, in __load
except LookupError: raise e
LookupError:
Resource 'corpora/stopwords' not found. Please use the NLTK
Downloader to obtain the resource: >>> nltk.download().
Searched in:
- '/home/stefano/nltk_data'
- '/usr/share/nltk_data'
- '/usr/local/share/nltk_data'
- '/usr/lib/nltk_data'
- '/usr/local/lib/nltk_data'

Nathan Smith

Apr 20, 2012, 5:47:26 PM4/20/12
to openscr...@googlegroups.com

I forgot to mention this, and I suppose I should update the READE me in the repo: you have to download the stopwords corpus from nltk in order for the script to run. Just open python in the terminal and do "import nltk" followed by "nltk.download()" this will bring up a GUI for downloading the various corpora which NLTK provides, including the English stopwords.

> --

Nathan Smith
http://nathan.smithfam.info

kwbli...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2013, 8:09:40 AM11/13/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
Now that someone who understands the previous posts has successfully obtained the 'red letter text' is it freely available to other less technically competent folks?

Nathan D. Smith

Nov 13, 2013, 11:56:59 PM11/13/13
to openscr...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 05:09:40 -0800 (PST)
kwbli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Now that someone who understands the previous posts has successfully
> obtained the 'red letter text' is it freely available to other less
> technically competent folks?

I put the output of the frequency distribution here:
https://gitorious.org/biblical-studies/biblical-studies/raw/dde4dbb7ece4a156db741dc88d76e13a3e5ccb43:wordsofjesus/jesus_words.txt

Or did you have something different in mind?

--
Nathan D. Smith
http://nathan.smithfam.info/