Kinect commercial use

mitchBCAA

Jan 8, 2011, 3:23:23 PM1/8/11
to OpenNI
Hi all, already some time ago we all have been speaking about the how
and if a kinect sensor can be used into commercial distributions, not
talking about microsoft software of course, just about hardware.

Still i dont have it clear, I developed several "pieces" ready to be
used into my commercial works, is there any problem to use kinect
hardware in that ? Which is microsoft position about it ?

thank to everybody knowing more about that :)

Joshua Blake

Jan 8, 2011, 3:29:37 PM1/8/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
Microsoft will be supporting Kinect on PC at some point. Ballmer confirmed this again at CES this week:
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/01/kinect-pc/
Microsoft has previously acknowledged the open source libraries and said no one would get in trouble for it:

If you have legal questions and using it for commercial purposes, you should probably ask your lawyer. My non-legal opinion is given the climate and statements from Microsoft, the chance of anything negative happening due to using Kinect commercially is pretty low.

Josh

mitchBCAA

Jan 9, 2011, 9:20:56 AM1/9/11
to OpenNI
Thank you very much for info, so actually there is not a firm, public
position about it, but sametime there is not a proibition on
developing and use it, possibly it will depends on local lawas about
hardware using...hope will be fine :D

On 8 Gen, 21:29, Joshua Blake <joshbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Microsoft will be supporting Kinect on PC at some point. Ballmer confirmed
> this again at CES this week:http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/01/kinect-pc/
> Microsoft has previously acknowledged the open source libraries and said no
> one would get in trouble for it:http://www.npr.org/2010/11/19/131447076/how-the-x-box-kinect-tracks-y...
>
> If you have legal questions and using it for commercial purposes, you should
> probably ask your lawyer. My non-legal opinion is given the climate and
> statements from Microsoft, the chance of anything negative happening due to
> using Kinect commercially is pretty low.
>
> Josh
>
> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:23 PM, mitchBCAA <mi...@bcaa.it> wrote:
> > Hi all, already some time ago we all have been speaking about the how
> > and if a kinect sensor can be used into commercial distributions, not
> > talking about microsoft software of course, just about hardware.
>
> > Still i dont have it clear, I developed several "pieces" ready to be
> > used into my commercial works, is there any problem to use kinect
> > hardware in that ? Which is microsoft position about it ?
>
> > thank to everybody knowing more about that :)
>
> > --
> > .

theplastictoy

Jan 9, 2011, 8:03:29 PM1/9/11
to OpenNI
I think using the Kinect hardware won't get you in trouble.
If you're using PrimeSense (NITE + sensor), that may me a different
story. I haven't seen anywhere PrimeSense allowing commercial usage of
the SDK, and I believe the key provided in the OpenNI website is for
non-commercial usage only. Also, the sensor is a modified one, not the
official PrimeSense.
Anyone from PrimeSense here to comment on this?

Thanks
> > > openni-dev+...@googlegroups.com<openni-dev%2Bunsubscribe@googlegrou ps.com>

Ziv Hendel

Jan 10, 2011, 1:58:38 PM1/10/11
to OpenNI
Hi!

Let me make some things more clear:

1) NITE is **FREE** for any use (including commercial use) as long as
you use it on a PrimeSense SoC based hardware.
There are some prohibited usages like pornography, promoting
drugs, etc.. which should not normally bother anyone.
You can review the complete EULA when you install the Windows
version.
The key provided by the OpenNI website is also free for every
usage, including commercial.

2) The sensor project is open sourced under the LPGLv3 license.
Any modified version that still complies with LPGLv3 will be okay
for every kind of usage, including commercial ones.
This generally means that you shouldn't have any problems with
using it for pretty much everything...
(As long as you don't violate the LGPLv3 rules of course...)

Thanks,
Ziv Hendel,
Real-Time & Embedded Team Leader
PrimeSense LTD.

theplastictoy

Jan 10, 2011, 3:08:49 PM1/10/11
to OpenNI
Thanks! Wonderful work by OpenNI / PrimeSense.

mitchBCAA

Jan 11, 2011, 10:24:05 AM1/11/11
to OpenNI
nice stuff, anyway, my question is about kinect hardware, i mean im
goin to sell products that use kinect, so customer will buy kinect and
use ti ininterctive products buyed from my company, is that possible ?