USB Extension cable experience with Kinect

Xsu Ma

May 17, 2011, 2:32:15 PM5/17/11
to OpenNI
Hello,

To cover 24 meter stage by 4 kinects and 1 computer, I would need 4
internal USB hubs, but most importantly, to extend the kinect cables
to up to 15-20 meters.

Could somebody kindly share an experience with extending kinect usb
cables?

Thanks.

--X

Angelo Casalini

May 17, 2011, 4:39:45 PM5/17/11
to openn...@googlegroups.com
If it can help, I've extended successfully with a 5 meters USB
cable...have never tried with more distance.

15-20 meters seems a huge distance, if I remember right the USB 2.0
specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices
to 5 meters, maybe using powered USB repeaters you can regenerate the
signal along the way.

Angelo

2011/5/17 Xsu Ma <zab...@gmail.com>:

Xsu Ma

May 17, 2011, 5:50:26 PM5/17/11
to OpenNI
Hi Angelo:

The powered USB cables are claimed to be daisy–chainable up to 4 times
(giving a 20 m extension total):

Here: http://bit.ly/mLJFez

I am looking for a first–hand experience with those.

Thanks.

--X

MichaelK

May 18, 2011, 4:09:23 AM5/18/11
to OpenNI
Or you put the computer in the middle of the stage. Then you only need
10m cables.

Xsu Ma

May 18, 2011, 11:32:55 AM5/18/11
to OpenNI
That's the problem I am trying to solve -- I can't put computer in the
middle of the stage.

--X

Jacob

May 19, 2011, 12:08:27 PM5/19/11
to OpenNI
We have exteneded it much farther, up to 100 m, using a USB 2.0 CAT 5
extender. From all of the testing we have done, it works just great.
Here is the extender we are using:
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/USB-Ultimate-Extender-over-UTP-4-Port/IC400A
You need to make sure that it is a USB 2.0 extender.
-Jacob

Xsu Ma

May 19, 2011, 5:06:19 PM5/19/11
to OpenNI
Wow! Just to be sure: this usb cat 5 extender has been tested with a
Kinect, right?

Thanks!

--X

On May 19, 12:08 pm, Jacob <jacobgallo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> We have exteneded it much farther, up to 100 m, using a USB 2.0 CAT 5
> extender. From all of the testing we have done, it works just great.
> Here is the extender we are using:http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/USB-Ultimate-Extender-over-...

Jacob

May 19, 2011, 5:57:34 PM5/19/11
to OpenNI
Yes, the Kinect is what we have been using. We have only been using a
single Kinect, and have not tried multiple Kinects (with USB
controllers, and USB extenders for each would be necesary), but I have
not noticed any problems with the detection or using OpenNI, compared
to using it on my desktop computer. I think I have had USB plug and
play problems when I plugged in USB hard drives onto the same USB
controller that the Kinect was on, but that may be more with the USB
controller or extender, not the Kinect itself. I noticed on that site
there were cheaper individual USB CAT5 extenders for 50 m as well, but
we have not looked at those.

I would suggest though that whatever computer has all of these Kinects
connected, that it is a nice one, with many CPU cores, high PCI
bandwidth, and plenty of memory.

-Jacob

Xsu Ma

May 20, 2011, 10:07:21 AM5/20/11