Designing a DIY Gene Electroporator

Nathan McCorkle

Nov 8, 2011, 6:26:13 AM11/8/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, biocu...@googlegroups.com
So according to:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/resources-rx/files/genepulser-76475.pdf

The Bio-Rad gene pulser can put out 2.5 kilovolts max, with (1.0,
3.0, 10, 25, or 50 µF) capacitors
"
Output voltage adjustment 50–2,500 V range (depending on the capacitor)
with 10 V adjustment precision for the high voltage
range and 2 V for the low-voltage range
(50–500 V)
"

An optional controller adds resistance, to reduce current (not volts):
"Selectable resistance, ohms, (parallel) 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500,
600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, infinity ohms"

An optional capacitance increaser:
"25 to 3,275 µF, in 25 µF increments"

Typical E. coli procedure:
Select a low capacitor (1.0, 3.0, 10, 25, or 50 µF)

Set the voltage, Recommended voltage is 1.8 kV for electroporation of
a typical strain of E. coli using 25–40 µl of sample
(cells/DNA/protein) in the 0.1 cm cuvette, or use 2.5 kV in 0.2 cm
cuvettes

Select resistance

Pulse the previously chilled cell sample

Immediately add recovery medium, gently mix and transfer to a culture
tube for incubation

After about an hour plate on selective medium

-----------

--
Nathan McCorkle
Rochester Institute of Technology
College of Science, Biotechnology/Bioinformatics

Nathan McCorkle

Nov 8, 2011, 8:41:53 AM11/8/11
to diy...@googlegroups.com, openmanu...@googlegroups.com, biocu...@googlegroups.com
The last section here is from the book I have, it talks about homemade
equipment (the prior sections talk about commercial systems)
http://pages.towson.edu/jsaunder/Saunders%20Publications/46.Pulse%20Generators%20for%20Electrofusion%20and%20Electroporation.pdf

These and more on Alibaba:
http://www.lifescientz.com/Gene-Transformation-System.htm

Another review of different systems:
http://classic.the-scientist.com/article/display/17657/

actually a lot of good articles here with electro in the name, more
parts from the "electroporation and electrofusion" book too:
http://pages.towson.edu/jsaunder/Saunders%20Publications/