content license clusterfsck roll-call

ben lipkowitz

Dec 18, 2008, 1:28:45 AM12/18/08
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
I hereby release all of my posts to openmanufacturing, past and future,
under Public Domain. I encourage others to respond to this thread with
whatever license they like.

-fenn

Mike Harris

Dec 18, 2008, 1:33:34 AM12/18/08
to Open Manufacturing
Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify material from
my posts on this site under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free
Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover
Texts, and with no Back-Cover Texts.

Paul D. Fernhout

Dec 18, 2008, 9:42:59 AM12/18/08
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for starting this thread, fenn.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a statement about licensing in the Google
Groups text, but I don't know if we really could put it in after the fact
without everyone agreeing somehow, like you've outlined.

I'll put mine under the same license as Mike's, and also raise him, :-) by
going beyond that to put mine also under a dual license using both the GFDL
1.2 or later and the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
or later with a substantially similar intent.
But I'd point out that I include quotes from others that I consider "fair
use" in the context I use them, but they might not be fair use depending on
how others use them.

Anyway, the current version of the Pointrel system has information about
licensing of each item added to it for that reason, as there are so many
licenses (not all compatible). This is yet more motivation for me to get
back to it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pointrel/

Maybe that frustration with incompatible licenses or unspecified licenses is
why you put the "cluster" etc. in the title here? :-) I'll certainly agree
that I find it tremendously frustrating to deal with that complexity and
ambiguity of licensing. See for example:
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/oscomak/SSI_Fernhout2001_web.html

--Paul Fernhout

Chris Watkins

Dec 19, 2008, 6:23:46 PM12/19/08
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 08:42, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfer...@kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:

Thanks for starting this thread, fenn.

Ideally, it would be nice to have a statement about licensing in the Google
Groups text, but I don't know if we really could put it in after the fact
without everyone agreeing somehow, like you've outlined.

We could put it in, and define the starting period as now or (say) 1 Jan 2009.

We'd want to notify all users who haven't otherwise responded (i know I don't read all list emails, and others might not, either.)

I'll put mine under the same license as Mike's, and also raise him, :-) by
going beyond that to put mine also under a dual license using both the GFDL
1.2 or later and the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
or later with a substantially similar intent.
But I'd point out that I include quotes from others that I consider "fair
use" in the context I use them, but they might not be fair use depending on
how others use them.

Basically the same for me: GFDL 1.3 (the latest version) or later and CC-BY-SA 3.0 unported.

Chris

--
Chris Watkins (a.k.a. Chriswaterguy)

appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

identi.ca/appropedia / twitter.com/appropedia
blogs.appropedia.org

I like this: five.sentenc.es

Bryan Bishop

Dec 19, 2008, 6:40:34 PM12/19/08
to openmanufacturing, kan...@gmail.com
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Chris Watkins wrote:
>> I'll put mine under the same license as Mike's, and also raise him, :-) by
>> going beyond that to put mine also under a dual license using both the
>> GFDL
>> 1.2 or later and the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported
>> or later with a substantially similar intent.
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
>> But I'd point out that I include quotes from others that I consider "fair
>> use" in the context I use them, but they might not be fair use depending
>> on
>> how others use them.
>
> Basically the same for me: GFDL 1.3 (the latest version) or later and
> CC-BY-SA 3.0 unported.

Me too (GFDL 1.3, CC-BY-SA 3.0), with a personal request for content
usage notification. :-)

- Bryan
disliker of short "me too" messages

Chris Watkins

Dec 19, 2008, 6:45:01 PM12/19/08
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

Google alerts is one way of tracking if you get cited anywhere. :-)

- Bryan
disliker of short "me too" messages

Kevin Carson

Dec 21, 2008, 3:53:18 PM12/21/08
to openmanu...@googlegroups.com

I also release all my posts to the Public Domain.

--
Kevin Carson
Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism