Appropriations Report Language

Rob Pierson

Jul 14, 2008, 12:31:18 PM7/14/08
to openhous...@googlegroups.com
That looks like a fascinating paper. I'll be sure to give it a good read.

I've mentioned on the list some of the steps my boss (Congressman Honda) has been taking, with counsel from many folks on this list, to guide Congressional policies on the path towards effectively leveraging technology to open up access to the public. There are actually quite a few other staffers who also follow this list, and we've certainly learned quite a bit from the conversations posted here, so I wanted to throw out a quick note of appreciation to everyone who has been contributing to the discussions.

With guidance from the conversations on this list (and the OHP report), Congressman Honda recently submitted the following sections into the House Legislative Branch Appropriations Report. The following (or possibly very similar versions) were included in the Leg Branch Subcommittee markup of the bill:

Public Access to Legislative Data (as submitted)

The Committee believes that the public should have improved access to legislative information through more advanced search capabilities such as those available through the Library of Congress' Legislative Information System. The Committee also supports enhancing public access to legislative documents, bill status, summary information, and other legislative data, through more direct methods such as bulk data downloads and other means of no-charge digital access to legislative databases. The Committee requests that the Library and Government Printing Office report on the progress towards these goals within 90 days of enactment of this Act.

Congressional Technology Coordination (as submitted)

The Committee recognizes the need for the House of Representatives to develop a strategic and coordinated plan that will prepare for the future technology needs of the institution.  A 2006 report commissioned by the Chief Administrative Officer and the Committee on House Administration, entitled Strategic Technology Road Map for the Ten Year Vision of Technology in the House of Representatives provided a suggested structure for an IT evaluation and decision-making process.  No later than 90 days after the enactment of this Act, the Committee requests that the Chief Administrative Officer, the Clerk, and the Sergeant at Arms report to the Committee of their efforts to develop House-wide data-sharing standards; implement standard legislative document formats; address the increasing resource challenges of Member offices; and identify disparate systems throughout the institution, which prevent it from taking advantage of economies of scale.

- Rob

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM, John Wonderlich <johnwon...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim Snyder has posted a new academic research paper through Harvard's Shorenstein Center, on legislative transparency, entitled Would You Ask Turkeys To Mandate Thanksgiving? The Dismal Politics of Legislative Transparency

The first part of the paper explains the inherent conflict of interest involved in legislators having responsibility for publishing legislative data.  He examines the example of roll call votes, looking at cost and implementation across both Congress and state level state-funded databases.  The second part of the paper examines citizen assemblies as a corrective mechanism against situations where legislators have an inherent conflict of interest.

I've been excited about the contents of Jim's research for several weeks, especially the first paper with such direct bearing on Open House Project priorities, so I'm happy to share it here now that the papers are public.

(and if I've portrayed anything inaccurately, I'm sure Jim will correct me.)

--
John Wonderlich

Program Director
The Sunlight Foundation
(202) 742-1520 ext. 234

Josh Tauberer

Jul 14, 2008, 1:06:12 PM7/14/08
Rob Pierson wrote:
> Congressman Honda recently submitted the following sections into the
> House Legislative Branch Appropriations Report.

Fantastic!

Thanks to Congressman Honda for his efforts and initiative here!

Josh

John Wonderlich

Jul 14, 2008, 1:18:03 PM7/14/08
to openhous...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob, and agreed that this is excellent news.  Can't wait to see whatever final version comes out of the committee.

For how this lines up with OHP recommendations, the first:

Public Access to Legislative Data (as submitted)

The Committee believes that the public should have improved access to legislative information through more advanced search capabilities such as those available through the Library of Congress' Legislative Information System. The Committee also supports enhancing public access to legislative documents, bill status, summary information, and other legislative data, through more direct methods such as bulk data downloads and other means of no-charge digital access to legislative databases. The Committee requests that the Library and Government Printing Office report on the progress towards these goals within 90 days of enactment of this Act.

...lines up with the chapter on legislative databases (as prepared by Josh Tauberer), and the second:

[...]

...corresponds to the chapter on coorindating web standards.

We haven't been alone in articulating these reform efforts; but I do want to note how closely they correspond to the concerns we've raised here.