Re: Organizaing packaging documentation on OpenCog wiki

Nil Geisweiller

Oct 30, 2012, 11:09:27 PM10/30/12
to OpenCog
Hi Amber,

I think I like it but I've moved the thread to the list in case others
have a say.

Nil

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Amber Jain <i.ambe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> These are my thoughts about how we should arrange/organize packaging related
> documentation on OpenCog wiki.
> Though with version control feature of wikis, we don't need to worry about
> messing up with wiki if I make these changes (as we can always undo them to
> previous revision). But I thought of asking before making these changes.
>
> After careful thought, I recognized three categories of people who will get
> involved with packaging, installing and using OpenCog:
> 1. Developers: People who contribute code to
> https://github.com/opencog/opencog and other opencog related repos.
> 2. Packagers: People who contribute code to
> https://github.com/opencog/ocpkg, do buildbot builds, deb builds etc.
> 3. Users: People who just want to install and run OpenCog. These users want
> to explore OpenCog and maybe if they get interested, they will eventually
> become #1 (Developers) and #2 (Packagers) as listed above. Even though
> there's probably not-a-lot in OpenCog for people to try out as "users" but
> there will be "Stuff" to play with in future and so we should organize the
> documentation accordingly.
>
> Now, some people (e.g. you) will play all 3 roles listed above. But most
> people will fall in 1 (or maybe 2) of listed categories.
>
> So, I think that the documentation on wiki should be arranged accordingly.
> Let me explain this using the example of "DEBS":
> 1. Developers will need (daily built) binary executables as well as access
> to source code. So, the Developer documentation will contain (links to) how
> to check out the source, how to setup IDE (maybe emacs?), how to get daily
> built DEB/DMG/EXE etc.
> 2. Packagers will need (links to) documentation about how to package
> DEB/DMG/EXE (like ocpkg)
> 3. Users will need (links to) sources where they can get DEB/DMG/EXE. If
> they want DEB for example, we can point them to OpenCog PPA, dailydeb PPA.
>
> So, I think every piece of documentation related to building/installing
> OpenCog should be categorized based on 3 categories listed above. We don't
> necessarily need separate pages for each of these 3 categories. For e.g.
> we'll have a page for every package type (e.g. --debs, --ppa, --local etc.)
> and in each of these page, we'll have 3 sections (i.e. one each for
> developers, users and packagers).
>
> What do you say?
>

> PS: Starting now, I'll put maximum efforts to synchronize code in ocpkg and
> documentation of wiki. For every major-ish change in ocpkg, I'll document it
> on corresponding wiki page (if needed). This way documentation will
> accurately reflect and explain the ocpkg code/features.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Amber Jain
> i.ambe...@gmail.com
> http://amberj.devio.us/

Joe Da Silva

Oct 31, 2012, 8:21:17 AM10/31/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
This is very welcome. I'm in cat #3 but hoping to progress to #2 and then #1. Considering my availability of time that might take a while as my initial attempt to build the source from github in Ubuntu 12.04 have failed so I'd welcome anything that facilitates that path.

Joe

David Hart

Nov 1, 2012, 5:20:27 AM11/1/12
to ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think this is a good plan!

We've recently discussed some different categories of developers and their use cases, namely:
  1. C++ AI programmer - an easily downloadable automatically-built Unity3D player for Linux will be most helpful for this type of developer, also opencog-dev Ubuntu packages will be most helpful for those who wish to write MindAgents to the OpenCog API without altering OpenCog internals or compiling the entire source tree.
  2. C++ OpenCog programmer - quick setup of a development environment is currently provided by ocpkg; more & better organized documentation is needed for experienced Linux/C++ programmers to dive into OpenCog system programming.
  3. Unity3D programmer - an OpenCog appliance to run on Windows will be most helpful for this type of developer; expanding on https://github.com/opencog/unity3d-opencog-world/blob/master/README.md would be helpful.
  4. Python AI programmer - C atomspace binary with PyPy bindings for Windows will be most helpful for this type of developer
-dave

David Hart |  +852 9875 1345
OpenCog Foundation | http://opencog.org

ankur...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2014, 8:55:49 AM12/27/14
to ope...@googlegroups.com
hi,

i want to work in this project. can you guide me how to start?

Linas Vepstas

Jan 11, 2015, 3:04:57 PM1/11/15
to opencog
Sorry for the late response.  Somehow, I have suddenly started receiving some old emails ... looks like gmail unstuck some plug, or something.

Take a look at the http://wiki.opencog.org/w/Ideas web page.

-- Linas

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/opencog.