Non-Virtual, but real: The latest Xcode GM 4.2 breaks the Akai SDK?

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Oct 6, 2011, 6:39:28 AM10/6/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Hi

something not so virtual, but quite real:

At least for me the latest Xcode 4.2 (iOS5 GM Seed) version breaks the
Akai SDK (it connects but doesn't receives any events).
It's not the iOS5 runtime since current apps still work, just fresh
recompiles start to fail on the device.

Just wondering if anyone has similar problems?

I connected Akai and keep you updated.

Cheers
Rolf

Art Kerns (Synthetic Bits)

Oct 13, 2011, 2:08:31 PM10/13/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Has anyone else had the same problem with the original Line 6 MIDI
Mobilizer SDK?

Art Kerns (Synthetic Bits)

Oct 13, 2011, 2:46:12 PM10/13/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
To add a little info:

I can run my app (Little MIDI Machine) that was built with the iOS 4.3
SDK on both iOS 4 and iOS 5 devices just fine.

I can run a new build of the app using the iOS 5 SDK on a device
running iOS 4.

But, when I try to use a build using the iOS 5 SDK on a device running
iOS 5, it doesn't seem to work any more.

If anyone can confirm or deny this also happens with their apps it
would save me a lot of debugging pain! Thanks.

Art Kerns (Synthetic Bits)

Oct 16, 2011, 12:19:01 PM10/16/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
I've gotten confirmation from another dev that the original Line 6
Mobilizer MIDI SDK, plus the Akai Synthstation MIDI SDK, are both
broken with the latest XCode and iOS SDK. I'm not sure what will
happen with these going forward, but keep it in mind if your app uses
them and you're thinking about upgrading to the latest and greatest
dev tools.

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Oct 17, 2011, 6:12:32 PM10/17/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Hi

no reaction from Akai so far. I resend my email to them hoping they
wake up.

I had some problems with Midi Mobilizer 1 while having iOS 5 betas
installed,
but will recheck with find version too.

--rolf

On Oct 16, 6:19 pm, "Art Kerns (Synthetic Bits)"

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Oct 17, 2011, 6:22:49 PM10/17/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Great, got now a fast reaction from Akai: They are working on it.
Will keep you updated.

On Oct 18, 12:12 am, "nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)"

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Oct 17, 2011, 7:53:33 PM10/17/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
At least for me the Line6 SDK still works (Xcode 4.2 Build 4D199, OSX
Lion, Base SDK 5.0, Deployment target 4.0, Device running iOS 5.0)

Any other having problems with Line6 SDK? Anything specific to watch
for?

On Oct 18, 12:22 am, "nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)"

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Oct 27, 2011, 5:10:33 PM10/27/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
If you haven't got the email: There is an update of the Akai SDK.
Haven't
tried it yet, but it addresses the iOS 5 issues.

Cheers!

On Oct 18, 1:53 am, "nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)"

Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)

Oct 29, 2011, 3:56:56 AM10/29/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
I've emailed Akai 3 times now about this issue and I've yet to receive
a response.

-paul

On Oct 27, 5:10 pm, "nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)"

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Oct 29, 2011, 3:59:45 AM10/29/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Hi

Akai has released an update to their SDK a few days ago which should
address the problem. Hadn't time to test it yet, but I'm sure they did
good
work and fixed it.

Best, if you check with the to get the update.

Cheers
rolf

On Oct 29, 9:56 am, "Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)"

Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)

Nov 1, 2011, 1:15:22 PM11/1/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
I found it, the update they sent out had gone into my gmail spam
folder.

-paul

On Oct 29, 3:59 am, "nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)"

Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)

Nov 6, 2011, 7:01:41 PM11/6/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Anyone else have this problem: AKAI appears to have built Pete
Goodliffe's PGMidi example into their updated framework, because I get
duplicate symbol errors from the linker conflicting with my own use of
the PGMidi example... Is there an easier way to fix this than
renaming all my PGMidi-related classes?

-paul

On Nov 1, 12:15 pm, "Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)"

Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)

Nov 7, 2011, 12:26:37 AM11/7/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
I renamed my PGMidi classes and got it building but it's still not
recognizing the Synthstation 25. Has anyone got the SDK update
working with the SS25?

-paul

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Nov 8, 2011, 3:55:39 AM11/8/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Tried it this morning, and yes, it works for me. What I came across is
this:

- you need to update some EA protocol Info.plist entries according
their docs

- they included now also Core MIDI support, which is somehow nice, but
since
I have my own Core MIDI support I needed to check in the
deviceWasAttached
callback, that the device is a SS25 and not a Core MIDI one. You can
use the name
or model ivar for this and check for "SynthStation25"

Maybe you can check first if their example works for you?

Using XCode 4.2 Build 4D199 on OSX Lion 10.7.2 and iOS 5.0 (9A334)

On Nov 7, 6:26 am, "Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)"

Pete Goodliffe

Nov 8, 2011, 6:20:08 AM11/8/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Hi,

Just for reference, I am the author of PGMidi.

And I'm also the author of the AkaiConnect SDK. (Shh.. don't tell
anyone.)

Now you might be able to work out why there are similar symbols in the
two libs :-)

MIDI support has been included in AkaiConnect for many months now, you
just may have not got an updated version in a while.

Don't forget that if you already have your own MIDI support in your
app (for example, using PGMidi) you can just switch off MIDI from the
AkaiConnect SDK. Sorry about the class name clashes: I simply had no
idea that the PGMidi code would get so popular!

SynthStation 25 works fine on iOS 5 with the SDK now, as long as you
follow the instructions that come in the included docset. Apple have
changed the way External Accessory protocol connections work slightly
in iOS5. It's a bit inconvenient, but there's not a lot I can do about
that, I'm afraid.

(Akai)Pete

On Nov 7, 12:01 am, "Paul Slocum (SOFTOFT TECHECH)"

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Nov 8, 2011, 6:52:47 AM11/8/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Hi Pete,

"you can just switch off MIDI from the
AkaiConnect SDK"

How would you do that? I am just comparing the model or name ivar
in the deviceWasAttached callback. Any better solution?

Best
Rolf

Pete Goodliffe

Nov 8, 2011, 6:58:43 AM11/8/11
to open-music-app...@googlegroups.com
Check out the "ACDevices" class' enableCoreMIDI property.

Pete

--
Pete Goodliffe, Principal Software Developer
http://www.goodliffe.net/

Nic G (Audeonic Apps)

Nov 8, 2011, 6:59:25 AM11/8/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Hi Pete,

Nice of you to join us. Hope you don't mind us asking questions of
you.

Does the new SDK now not detach the accessory if an app is
backgrounded?

Regards, Nic.

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Nov 8, 2011, 7:06:56 AM11/8/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Oh, in the SDK 1.06 Daniel sent, this is a method not a prop:

/// Call this to enable CoreMIDI devices in AkaiConnect.
/// Network MIDI connections are automatically enabled.
///
/// @since AkaiConnect 1.5
- (void) enableCoreMIDI;

But there is no 'disableCoreMIDI'

On Nov 8, 12:58 pm, Pete Goodliffe <p...@goodliffe.net> wrote:
> Check out the "ACDevices" class' enableCoreMIDI property.
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Goodliffe, Principal Software Developerhttp://www.goodliffe.net/
>
> On Tuesday, 8 November 2011 at 11:52, nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth) wrote:
>

> > Hi Pete,
>
> > "you can just switch off MIDI from the
> > AkaiConnect SDK"
>
> > How would you do that? I am just comparing the model or name ivar
> > in the deviceWasAttached callback. Any better solution?
>
> > Best
> > Rolf
>
> > On Nov 8, 12:20 pm, Pete Goodliffe <pete.goodli...@gmail.com (http://gmail.com)> wrote:
> > > Hi,
>
> > > Just for reference, I am the author of PGMidi.
>
> > > And I'm also the author of the AkaiConnect SDK. (Shh.. don't tell
> > > anyone.)
>
> > > Now you might be able to work out why there are similar symbols in the
> > > two libs :-)
>
> > > MIDI support has been included in AkaiConnect for many months now, you
> > > just may have not got an updated version in a while.
>
> > > Don't forget that if you already have your own MIDI support in your
> > > app (for example, using PGMidi) you can just switch off MIDI from the
> > > AkaiConnect SDK. Sorry about the class name clashes: I simply had no
> > > idea that the PGMidi code would get so popular!
>
> > > SynthStation 25 works fine on iOS 5 with the SDK now, as long as you
> > > follow the instructions that come in the included docset. Apple have
> > > changed the way External Accessory protocol connections work slightly
> > > in iOS5. It's a bit inconvenient, but there's not a lot I can do about
> > > that, I'm afraid.
>
> > > (Akai)Pete

Pete Goodliffe

Nov 8, 2011, 7:09:11 AM11/8/11
to open-music-app...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Nice of you to join us. Hope you don't mind us asking questions of
you.
Within reason ;-)

Does the new SDK now not detach the accessory if an app is
backgrounded?
I've not put in any work in this respect in recent SDK releases. Unfortunately, here we are at the mercy of the operating system, connections are not broken the app/SDK level.

Pete

--
Pete Goodliffe, Principal Software Developer
http://www.goodliffe.net/

Pete Goodliffe

Nov 8, 2011, 7:13:01 AM11/8/11
to open-music-app...@googlegroups.com
OK: what I meant, not what I sent :-)

I just ack-ed the code quickly to reply to you!

I have set the SDK up to initially ignore CoreMIDI altogether, and to only start using it if you call that method yourself.

The main driver for including CoreMIDI in the SDK was to support people who used AkaiConnect before Apple introduced the CoreMIDI framework. This is a transition path to allow them to use any available MIDI device without having to re-write their apps, all through the one API.

Pete

--
Pete Goodliffe, Principal Software Developer
http://www.goodliffe.net/

nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth)

Nov 8, 2011, 7:28:44 AM11/8/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
Ok, no problem, was just irritated about the network exception
from default assuming anybody handling Core MIDI themselves would
also handle network Core MIDI.

Anyway, I play safe with comparing model strings.

Thanks for your support here!

On Nov 8, 1:13 pm, Pete Goodliffe <p...@goodliffe.net> wrote:
> OK: what I meant, not what I sent :-)
>
> I just ack-ed the code quickly to reply to you!
>
> I have set the SDK up to initially ignore CoreMIDI altogether, and to only start using it if you call that method yourself.
>
> The main driver for including CoreMIDI in the SDK was to support people who used AkaiConnect before Apple introduced the CoreMIDI framework. This is a transition path to allow them to use any available MIDI device without having to re-write their apps, all through the one API.
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Pete Goodliffe, Principal Software Developerhttp://www.goodliffe.net/
>
> On Tuesday, 8 November 2011 at 12:06, nlogmusic (TempoRubato - NLogSynth) wrote:
>

> > Oh, in the SDK 1.06 Daniel sent, this is a method not a prop:
>
> > /// Call this to enable CoreMIDI devices in AkaiConnect.
> > /// Network MIDI connections are automatically enabled.
> > ///
> > /// @since AkaiConnect 1.5
> > - (void) enableCoreMIDI;
>
> > But there is no 'disableCoreMIDI'

Nic G (Audeonic Apps)

Nov 8, 2011, 7:36:31 AM11/8/11
to Open Music App Collaboration
> I've not put in any work in this respect in recent SDK releases. Unfortunately, here we are at the mercy of the operating system, connections are not broken the app/SDK level.

OK, I have just tried some backgrounding tests. Here are the results:

Build against iOS4 SDK, no backgrounding

Build against iOS5 SDK, backgrounding works beautifully on an iOS5
device, but not on iOS4.

Same goes for Midi Mobilizer I, BTW.

Regards, Nic.