OpenCyc links

ja...@openguid.net

Oct 25, 2008, 4:15:05 PM10/25/08
to Open GUID Discussion
Some trouble with the newly imported OpenCyc links [1]. My problem
detection algorithm has determined that 2750 open GUIDs are now
declared identical to each other.

It seems that OpenCyc aggressively links somewhat related things.
Take, for example, the class Something Existing [2]. They declare
owl:sameAs links with the WordNet noun 'entity', the noun 'thing', and
the verb 'to exist'. Is it just me, or is that a dangerous use of
sameAs? I know I wouldn't make those associations using
oguid:identical, which has looser semantics. Their dbpedia link to
'Existence' is also a stretch...not sure how they generated those.

Is anyone familiar with their linking strategy or how they linked to
dbpedia? I've posted to their forums, sent e-mails to every public
address, and have never gotten a response from anyone at CyCorp. Am I
competing with them somehow?

The good news is I get to test my tools for unlinking and merging, etc
as I go through all these problems. Anyone interested in helping beta
test these?

[1] http://openguid.net/2008/10/opencyc-and-umbel-links/
[2] http://sw.opencyc.org/concept/Mx4rvVi255wpEbGdrcN5Y29ycA