Escondido To Palomar Century 2/07/09

Chuck Bramwell

Feb 3, 2009, 1:42:49 AM2/3/09
to Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google

Escondido to Palomar Century

Saturday, February 7, 8:00 A.M.

78 Miles with about 9,000 Feet of Climbing

Rain Does Not Cancel but Freezing Rain on Palomar May Cancel

Let’s ride this Saturday where Lance and the Pros will ride on the Tour of California Stage 8.

You can see the climbs by clicking on the “8” for Stage 8 at

http://www.williamscycling.com/

We’ll be climbing Lake Wohlford Road, Palomar Mountain via South Grade, and Cole Grade Road.  We’re not climbing Highland Valley because it’s only 388 Feet so it’s not really worth the extra miles to and from Rancho Bernardo.

The lower section of the Palomar Climb on Highway 76 is 5.1 miles at an average gradient of 6.0% and the upper section is 6.9 miles at an average gradient of 7.0%.  It’s truly a world class climb which Floyd Landis has undoubtedly been training on numerous times a week lately since he lives in Temecula.  There is an option on the Route Sheet to ride 5 miles up to the Observatory and climb another 1,300 Feet.

The Cole Grade Road climb is 2.1 miles and climbs 906 Feet for an average gradient of 8.2% with plenty of 10-12% pieces.

Let me know if you are coming by replying to this e-mail.  I know there is plenty of interest in this ride and I’m really looking forward to it.

The Route Slip for the Escondido to Palomar Century for this coming Saturday is at

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/centuries/PalomarEscondidoColeGrade.xls

and printed copies will be available at the start of the ride.

Thanks to Troy Raffelson who designed the core part of this route which we first rode on 5/27/00.  For this 2009 Tour of California version, after climbing Palomar Mountain, we’ll descend East Grade out near Lake Henshaw and then descend Highway 76 to the start of the Cole Grade Road climb where the sparks are really going to fly in the Tour of California with plenty of 10-12% pieces.

We will start at 8:00 A.M. since we’ll be driving down there and that will allow the temps to maybe warm up on Palomar so you should arrive by 7:45 A.M.  This ride will start at Starbucks Coffee Shop at 1485 E. Valley Parkway #A, Escondido, CA  92027, (760) 747-6559 Elevation 674 Feet which is shown at

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=1485+E+Valley+Pkwy,+Escondido,+CA+92027&geocode=&dirflg=&saddr=4911+Tamarack+Way,+Irvine,+CA+92612&f=d&sll=33.134065,-117.061944&sspn=0.009092,0.019226&ie=UTF8&ll=33.119725,-117.073574&spn=0.036374,0.076904&z=14

It’s about 67 miles down to the start but it’s way worth the drive!!

You should bring your riding buddy along with you so you can stick together.  There is an optional Water Stop at mile 15 but with the forecasted weather, there shouldn’t be much of a need to stop there.  The only other stop is at the top of Palomar where they have some really good Veggie Chili and Homemade Squaw Bread.

The weather could be a challenge with the 10 Day forecast for Palomar Mountain at

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/USCA0833?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

showing a high of 49 Degrees and a 40% Chance of Rain.  Our current thinking is that “Rain Does Not Cancel but Freezing Rain on Palomar May Cancel” so stayed tuned to the list for a go / no-go decision Friday night.  For sure, you will want to be bringing lots of layers, long fingered gloves, and winter gear.  On 3/15/08, the temperatures dipped down to 37 degrees at the top and my undershirt, Jersey, Arm Warmers, Vest, and Windbreaker weren’t enough to keep me from being really cold on the descent.

Ride safe,

Chuck Bramwell

Troy

Feb 3, 2009, 2:05:09 AM2/3/09
to Chuck Bramwell, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google
Troy will be there

From: "Chuck Bramwell"
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 22:42:49 -0800
To: Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google<OCWSat...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [OCWSatCentury] Escondido To Palomar Century 2/07/09

Miles, James S.

Feb 3, 2009, 10:32:23 AM2/3/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google, Buzz, Buzz, Claudia, Cynthia Gulley, Dave Hornback, Dave R, Doc Burke, Doe, Don Parsons, Don Peters, Ellen, Gary Bezer, Graham, Henry, Howard, Jim Allen, Joe and Julie, John P, Kathleen, Laurie, Merryn, Mike, Miles, James S., Nadine, OJ, Sophie, Steve
Chuck,

Weather permitting,  I will be there and look forward to it.  There may be several other San Diego Cyclovets joining your group for this memorable ride (Don Parsons, Laurie Caledonia, and Jim Allen).

Thanks,

Jim Miles
San Diego Gas & Electric
Phone: 858.654.8602  Cell: 619.921.4026
jmi...@semprautilities.com

Feb 3, 2009, 7:57:13 PM2/3/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google
Chuck

I am driving my Tundra down with new SportTrak 4 bike rack and can take two more riders besides myself and Greg Kibble

If anyone else wants a ride and "be green" let me know - I live in Irvine and I will pick up Greg K at his house in El Toro that morning

Best Regards,
Bruce Campbell
Feb 6, 2009, 12:53:43 PM2/6/09
to Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google

Hi,

Weather.com is forecasting 70% chance of rain on Palomar Mountain all day long tomorrow at

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/hourbyhour/USCA0833?begHour=3&begDay=38

so it wouldn’t be good to ride up there tomorrow.

Let’s reschedule this ride to the following Saturday, 2/14/09 with a start time of 8:00 A.M.  All details are below.  Let me know if you are coming on 2/14/09 by replying to this e-mail.

Weather.com is forecasting a high of 55 degrees and 10% chance of rain on Palomar Mountain on 2/14/09 at

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/USCA0833?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

Chuck

Feb 6, 2009, 7:07:18 PM2/6/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google
I hope you all realize the 14th is Valentine's Day.

Jones Family

Feb 6, 2009, 8:21:23 PM2/6/09
to BriAnn Hoopes, cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google
Yes, I agree but my sweetheart doesn't like to climb. ;-)

BriAnn Hoopes wrote:
no better way to spend valentines day than on the bike.  Bring your sweetheart:-).

BriAnn Hoopes
11519 Kings Canyon Road SE
Albuquerque, NM 87123
(505) 385-8540
www.brihoopes.blogspot.com

BriAnn Hoopes

Willie

Feb 6, 2009, 9:11:24 PM2/6/09
to OCWSatCentury
Yes, but 10,000 feet of climbing !

Maybe we should think about Sunday 2/15?

Willie

On Feb 6, 5:14 pm, BriAnn Hoopes <brihoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> no better way to spend valentines day than on the bike.  Bring your
> sweetheart:-).
> BriAnn Hoopes
> 11519 Kings Canyon Road SE
> Albuquerque, NM 87123
> (505) 385-8540www.brihoopes.blogspot.com
>

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Jones Family <jon...@cox.net> wrote:
> >  I hope you all realize the 14th is Valentine's Day.
>
> > Chuck Bramwell wrote:
>
> >  Hi,
>
> > Weather.com is forecasting 70% chance of rain on Palomar Mountain all day
> > long tomorrow at
>
> >http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/hourbyhour/USCA083...
>
> > so it wouldn't be good to ride up there tomorrow.
>
> > Let's reschedule this ride to the following Saturday, 2/14/09 with a start
> > time of 8:00 A.M.  All details are below.  Let me know if you are coming on
> > 2/14/09 by replying to this e-mail.
>
> > Weather.com is forecasting a high of 55 degrees and 10% chance of rain on
> > Palomar Mountain on 2/14/09 at
>
> >http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/tenday/USCA0833?fr...
>
> > Chuck
>
> >  ------------------------------

Chuck Bramwell

Feb 7, 2009, 12:49:20 AM2/7/09
to OCWSatCentury

Let’s ride it for sure next Saturday 2/14/09.  Let’s plan on keeping the stops short so we can get home and stay out of the dog house on Valentine’s day.

Don’t forget “Dual Bag” Dog House Management Science 101 at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F2md4uGmMU

Thanks to Kris Jones for reminding us about Valentine’s Day.  She doesn’t want any of us to be in the Dog House next Saturday.  J

The “Escondido to Palomar Century” and the “Oceanside to Palomar Century” that we rode last March are truly epic and fun training rides.  We’ll plan on getting down to Palomar in March, April, and more this year.  By April, it will be a lot nicer weather down there.

So if you really want to climb Palomar with a group, one option will be next Saturday 2/14/09 and there will be options in March and April as well.

Chuck

Chuck Bramwell

Feb 12, 2009, 9:49:49 PM2/12/09
to Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google

Hi,

Let’s do some epic climbing this Saturday.  Think Andy Hampsten’s Epic Day On the Gavia at http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=1827

It can’t be that bad.  J

Now think ahead to the Tour of California coming next week.  Think Lance pacing Levi right up those same roads on Sunday, 2/22/09.  The Schleck Brothers will be there.  Chris Horner.  Rubiera and Popo.  Sastre.  Hincapie.  Cavendish.  Vande Velde.  Danielson.  Floyd.  Basso.  Boonen.  Freddie Rodriguez.  Tyler Hamilton.  Big Jens Voigt.  Cancellera.  All these guys will be climbing these same roads!!

Troy Raffelson says we’re riding in the Sun, Rain, or Snow so this ride will not be cancelled this Saturday.  Bring your winter weather gear – it will be cold.  Let’s plan on keeping the stops short so we can get home and stay out of the dog house on Valentine’s day.

The following riders are registered:

Chuck Bramwell riding Sun, Rain, or Snow

Laurie Caledonia?

Bruce Campbell?

Dan Crain?

Scott Davis?

Willie Hunt?

Alan Ptak riding Sun, Rain, or Snow

Troy Raffelson riding Sun, Rain, or Snow

Kris Jones, Gloria Nafel, Paul D’Aquanni, and Greg Kibble were riding this route today so they won’t be riding Saturday.

Shoot me an e-mail if you’re coming.

Please park in the Home Depot Parking Lot area so we don’t take all of the Starbuck parking spaces.

We’ll see you at 7:30ish Saturday morning in Escondido.  All details are below,

Troy

Feb 12, 2009, 11:13:18 PM2/12/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google

Hey Chuck,

There were some of my guys down at Fiesta Island early on Tue morning doing our weekly sprint workouts when a lone rider came zipping past them on his TT bike. He did smile just long enough as he looked over for my guys to recognize the guy who just went flying by them as Carlos Sastre. They said he was absolutely motoring.

Troy

Miles, James S.

Feb 13, 2009, 1:20:14 PM2/13/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google
Chuck,

Jim Miles and Jim Allen will be there from San Diego if it is not raining at the start.

Thanks,

Jim Miles
San Diego Gas & Electric
Phone: 858.654.8602  Cell: 619.921.4026
jmi...@semprautilities.com

Feb 13, 2009, 2:13:29 PM2/13/09
to OCWSatCentury
Feb 14, 2009, 1:28:04 AM2/14/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google

Hi,

I heard that some folks might not come along on the Palomar ride tomorrow because we might get a little rain or it might be a little cold on Palomar.  Well to them I quote Lance in his immortal role in the movie “Dodge Ball, A True Underdog Story”  J

“Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck to you. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever.”  Lance

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.Lance

The current forecast for Palomar tomorrow is a high or 47deg with only a 10% chance of precipitation with partly sunny skies.

"If you don’t have courage, you’ll ALWAYS find a way NOT to win."
Carl Lewis

Current Doppler weather radar shows no snow or rain falling on Palomar What rain/snow is that is falling is over the Laguna Mountains (Kitchen Creek area) much farther south than Palomar Mtn.

"You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone."
Percy Cerutty

I hope to see everyone there tomorrow morning.

I like the one: "If it doesn't kill you, it will only make you
stronger" but I like to add "it's best to avoid permanent injuries,
too"

Willie

On Feb 13, 10:28 pm, "Troy" <traffel...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I heard that some folks might not come along on the Palomar ride tomorrow
> because we might get a little rain or it might be a little cold on Palomar.
> Well to them I quote Lance in his immortal role in the movie "Dodge Ball, A
> True Underdog Story"  J
>
> "Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they
> wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck
> to you. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever."  Lance
>
> "
> <http://thinkexist.com/quotation/pain_is_temporary-it_may_last_a_minut...
> n_hour/346310.html> Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or
> a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will
> take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance
>
> The current forecast for Palomar tomorrow is a high or 47deg with only a 10%
> chance of precipitation with partly sunny skies.
>
> "If you don't have courage, you'll ALWAYS find a way NOT to win."
> Carl Lewis
>
> Current Doppler weather radar shows no snow or rain falling on Palomar What
> rain/snow is that is falling is over the Laguna Mountains (Kitchen Creek
> area) much farther south than Palomar Mtn.
>
> "You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone."
> Percy Cerutty
>
> I hope to see everyone there tomorrow morning.

Willie

Feb 14, 2009, 7:48:46 AM2/14/09
to OCWSatCentury
I like the one: "If it doesn't kill you, it will only make you
stronger" but I like to add "it's best to avoid permanent injuries,
too"

Willie

On Feb 13, 10:28 pm, "Troy" <traffel...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I heard that some folks might not come along on the Palomar ride tomorrow
> because we might get a little rain or it might be a little cold on Palomar.
> Well to them I quote Lance in his immortal role in the movie "Dodge Ball, A
> True Underdog Story"  J
>
> "Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they
> wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck
> to you. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever."  Lance
>
> "
> <http://thinkexist.com/quotation/pain_is_temporary-it_may_last_a_minut...
> n_hour/346310.html> Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or
> a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will
> take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance
>
> The current forecast for Palomar tomorrow is a high or 47deg with only a 10%
> chance of precipitation with partly sunny skies.
>
> "If you don't have courage, you'll ALWAYS find a way NOT to win."
> Carl Lewis
>
> Current Doppler weather radar shows no snow or rain falling on Palomar What
> rain/snow is that is falling is over the Laguna Mountains (Kitchen Creek
> area) much farther south than Palomar Mtn.
>
> "You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone."
> Percy Cerutty
>
> I hope to see everyone there tomorrow morning.

Willie

Feb 14, 2009, 7:48:46 AM2/14/09
to OCWSatCentury
I like the one: "If it doesn't kill you, it will only make you
stronger" but I like to add "it's best to avoid permanent injuries,
too"

Willie

On Feb 13, 10:28 pm, "Troy" <traffel...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I heard that some folks might not come along on the Palomar ride tomorrow
> because we might get a little rain or it might be a little cold on Palomar.
> Well to them I quote Lance in his immortal role in the movie "Dodge Ball, A
> True Underdog Story"  J
>
> "Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they
> wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck
> to you. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever."  Lance
>
> "
> <http://thinkexist.com/quotation/pain_is_temporary-it_may_last_a_minut...
> n_hour/346310.html> Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or
> a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will
> take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance
>
> The current forecast for Palomar tomorrow is a high or 47deg with only a 10%
> chance of precipitation with partly sunny skies.
>
> "If you don't have courage, you'll ALWAYS find a way NOT to win."
> Carl Lewis
>
> Current Doppler weather radar shows no snow or rain falling on Palomar What
> rain/snow is that is falling is over the Laguna Mountains (Kitchen Creek
> area) much farther south than Palomar Mtn.
>
> "You only ever grow as a human being if you're outside your comfort zone."
> Percy Cerutty
>
> I hope to see everyone there tomorrow morning.

John Renowden

Feb 14, 2009, 7:51:12 AM2/14/09
to traff...@cox.net, cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, OCWSat...@googlegroups.com

Well I am here in Florida just mustering for the ride start at 5:00 EST. Its in the 70s and will be in the 80s by the time we finish. So I guess I will be a hot dogs. No unerdogs here.

John
MonierLifetile.com

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Dan Crain

Feb 14, 2009, 11:23:56 PM2/14/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google
Anyone else see Amber Neben motoring on Palomar?  She passed Chris Hansen and me like we were standing still.  She recently won the Female World's timetrial.  I only know because I saw her speak at a OCW meeting last fall.  She talked the World's, which she won, and the Olympics, where she lost her chance to win when she dropped her chain when trying to shift to the small chainring at the last climb before the fiish.  Her stories brought us all the scene, just like we were there!  She was riding with another female, and her coach, Dave Jordaan, was sagging her.

Chris & I finished about 3:00.  Our time from store to store was about 1:44.  East Grade was very cold and wind-exposed, and it took forever to get low enough for it to warm up.  When we climbed Cole Grade, a resident asked if we were coming next weekend.  I said yes, and he said that he might have a big screen TV set up for those lining the climb.  His place was on the right side as you climb, about 1/2 way to the top.  His place was mobbed with yellow wildflowers on the side of the hill.

Overall, great ride.  Thanks to all.

Willie

Feb 15, 2009, 9:00:23 AM2/15/09
to OCWSatCentury
Yes, Amber Neben passed me on the first shady switch back on 76. She
definitely has world class power output!

Having the wife and kid along was both an asset and a liability. At
the first stop, it allowed me to switch clothing around for the climb,
which worked out nicely until near the top I was getting a bit cold in
hands and feet. Nearing the top a truck passes quite fast in a slushy
spot and it sprayed me with slush. That cooled me right off. Then at
the top, Sierra (my daughter) was sledding down the snow, and so I was
watching her, and then she slid down under our truck. She was not
hurt, but she was scared, and need consoling. Then I realized I
needed to get over to the store, and check on who was up at the top
that might have needed the cloths that we carried up, because our
truck was not in the store parking lot. In the process of trying to
soaking wet, and I started shivering and then my asthma faired up. It
was time to get into the truck, change all my clothes and just warm-up
properly. After I did that I felt much better. Of course then I had
absolutely no desire to ride down the mountain, and also, I wanted
this to be a family outing, and I'd had my fun (doing the BIG climb),
so it was time to bag it.

Since my computer broke, I have no clue how fast I climbed Palomar,
but passed various other riders. Amber was the only one that passed
me. I'll just have to go back and do it again, and the next time with
a little more gearing. I have a 34 front ring and a 28 rear, but the
cadence was dropping too low on the steeper parts. Much of the time
it was good and I could keep it up over 90, where I need it to be.
Otherwise I do not optimal power, and my knees complain later. My
knees were a bit tweaked after the climb, but they have been tweaked
all week. I'm glad I did not torture my knees on Cole Grade. I'm
going to use a bigger rear cassette for these climbs from now on.

So, Chuck you can put me down for 28 miles. It was a short ride, but I
got my money's worth!

Willie

PS
I have someone's black rain pants in a white canvas stuff sack.

On Feb 14, 8:23 pm, Dan Crain <dcrain9...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
>   The following riders are registered:
>
>   Chuck Bramwell riding Sun, Rain, or Snow
>
>   Laurie Caledonia?
>
>   Bruce Campbell?
>
>   Dan Crain?
>
>   Scott Davis?
>
>   Willie Hunt?
>
>   Alan Ptak riding Sun, Rain, or Snow
>
>   Troy Raffelson riding Sun, Rain, or Snow
>
>   Kris Jones, Gloria Nafel, Paul D’Aquanni, and Greg Kibble were riding this route today so they won’t be riding Saturday.
>
>   Shoot me an e-mail if you’re coming.
>
>   Please park in the Home Depot Parking Lot area so we don’t take all of the Starbuck parking spaces.
>
>   We’ll see you at 7:30ish Saturday morning in Escondido.  All details are below,

Chuck Bramwell

Feb 15, 2009, 10:56:11 AM2/15/09
to Cycling, OCWSatCentury on Google

Feb 15, 2009, 1:46:24 PM2/15/09
to cbr...@caltriplecrown.com, Cycling,OCWSatCentury on Google

I AGREE!  I didn't realize that was you (Chuck C)  You guys were out in front so fast I didn't have time to chat with you. Haven't seen you since our TT adventure last year. Also, did not get to chat with you Chuck (Chuck B) at the start. I was turned around a little trying to find the meeting place and got away from home a little late to start with.

Anyway, thanks for putting together this incredible day. It was well worth the drive. The only place I was really outside my comfort  zone was the descent on East Grade. My core was fine, but my fingers were totally numb. I have yet to ride down that road in comfortable conditions.The last time I rode there was in 2005 on the 300k brevet. It was raining and 38F. I fondly remember the soup and fresh squaw bread at Mothers. Also the fireplace.I wore out a pair of new front brake pads that ride.  Tom Parkes and I also did some bonus miles and ended up on a dirt road  on the Indian reservation. We were chased by a bunch of dogs down to the Casino. Another epic day by all means.

Those women riders training on the climb were awesome. They passed Dan and I on their second climb of the day. On the first climb they only made it to the 4000 ft level before turning around. Our timing was perfect.

Only problem now is where to watch the pros next weekend. I may need to get in my car and head that way after the Camino Real DC to find a good spot.

Thanks again,

Chris Hanson

Attached are a couple photos I took on Sat.
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG

ROBERT TRIPP