Poissons' Distribution

Aditya Subramaniam

Dec 6, 2010, 10:42:45 PM12/6/10
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com

Regards,
Aditya G Subramaniam
Graduate Student
Electrical & Comp Engineering
Georgia Tech

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Aditya Subramaniam <subramani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey

Is there any easy way to implement a Poissons' distribution for vehicular flow? I'm attempting to model vehicular traffic, but then noticed that Poissons' distribution is not implemented in random-variable.h/.cc. Is there any way I could use existing functions in order to implement this? It's also necessary for me to ensure that the random variable that is generated is also of the type RandomVariable and not double.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Aditya G Subramaniam
Graduate Student
Electrical & Comp Engineering
Georgia Tech

Gustavo Carneiro

Dec 7, 2010, 6:14:52 AM12/7/10
to ns-3-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 03:42, Aditya Subramaniam <subramani...@gmail.com> wrote:

Regards,
Aditya G Subramaniam
Graduate Student
Electrical & Comp Engineering
Georgia Tech

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:42 PM, Aditya Subramaniam <subramani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey

Is there any easy way to implement a Poissons' distribution for vehicular flow? I'm attempting to model vehicular traffic, but then noticed that Poissons' distribution is not implemented in random-variable.h/.cc. Is there any way I could use existing functions in order to implement this? It's also necessary for me to ensure that the random variable that is generated is also of the type RandomVariable and not double.

You want to model a Poisson _process_, I suppose.  It models arrival of "customers", or vehicles in this case.  The number of arrivals in a given time interval is given by a Poisson _distribution_.  However, the interval between arrivals is given by the Exponential distribution.  What people in simulation do usually is use the Exponential distribution (ExponentialVariable) to give the time for Simulator::Schedule to schedule the arrival of the next vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Aditya G Subramaniam
Graduate Student