SuSE 9.3 problem with virtual consoles

vgu...@pochtamt.ru

May 4, 2005, 3:21:52 AM5/4/05
After installation of drivers NVidia through YOU at switching in any
virtual console (Ctrl+Alt+F1...F6) on the screen color flickering squares
are visible only. The same squares appear at end of job of a computer.
I use LCD monitor Samsung SyncMaster 172V, videoadapter GeForce 4 MX 440
8X, matherboard - GigaByte 7N400.
How it is possible to cure?

Uwe Buckesfeld

May 4, 2005, 4:01:07 AM5/4/05
vgu...@pochtamt.ru wrote in news:kK_de.141$IU1...@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com:

> How it is possible to cure?

I have the exact problem and I didn't find a solution yet :-(

Uwe

--
Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp
Please don't send me support related e-mail unless I ask you to do so.

baskitcaise

May 4, 2005, 5:09:24 AM5/4/05
Uwe Buckesfeld adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwear
to write:

> vgu...@pochtamt.ru wrote in
>
>> How it is possible to cure?
>
> I have the exact problem and I didn't find a solution yet :-(
>
> Uwe

To both,

I had this and fixed it but cannot remember exactly what I did, did you
try a diiferent value for vga= in the /boot/grub/menu.lst r even at the
first grub screen you can type:

vga=ask

IIRC it is down to the kernel frambuffer and the nvidias, I will trace
my steps back and see what I did.

have got to go out now but will be back later.

HTH
--
Mark
Novell Support Forums SysOp

Uwe Buckesfeld

May 4, 2005, 9:11:49 AM5/4/05

> How it is possible to cure?

Okay, found a solution for my laptop by using a non-standard vesa resolution which is supported by my
laptop (1280x800, 256 colors, kernel option "vga=0x360" instead of 0x371; note that this is WXGA, so it will
probably fail for you).

Anyway, the NVidia driver seems to have a problem changing color depth and/or resolution.

In a first step, try baskitcaise's suggestion: Put "vga=ask" in the /boot/grub/menu.lst and choose one of the
resolutions offered. This worked for me reliably.
Then find out which vesa framebuffer resolutions your card/monitor support and compare it with the desired
values you want for KDE/Gnome. Adjust the "vga=" kernel parameter in a way that the nvidia driver doesn't
need to change color depth and resolution, and I assume it will work.

Uwe

PS:
Note that I didn't have any problems with the nv driver which comes with the kernel, except a slightly worse
picture and no 3D. So this might be an option for you as well.

Nico Kadel-Garcia

May 4, 2005, 9:43:15 AM5/4/05

"Uwe Buckesfeld" <u.buck...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> vgu...@pochtamt.ru wrote in
>
>> How it is possible to cure?
>
> Okay, found a solution for my laptop by using a non-standard vesa
> resolution which is supported by my
> laptop (1280x800, 256 colors, kernel option "vga=0x360" instead of 0x371;
> note that this is WXGA, so it will
> probably fail for you).
>
> Anyway, the NVidia driver seems to have a problem changing color depth
> and/or resolution.

Are you using the latest? SuSE, understandably, remaiins behind the leading
edge on the NVidia drivers. The latest is 1.0-7174, and says things about
needing a 2.6.11 or better kernel for certain aspects to work correctly.

Uwe Buckesfeld

May 4, 2005, 2:11:37 PM5/4/05
"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nka...@comcast.net> wrote in

> Are you using the latest? SuSE, understandably, remaiins behind the
> leading edge on the NVidia drivers. The latest is 1.0-7174, and says
> things about needing a 2.6.11 or better kernel for certain aspects to
> work correctly.

Same problem with the YOU update and the 1.0-7174, and I'm using the latter version now.

Uwe

ang...@texs.com

May 4, 2005, 9:34:11 PM5/4/05

Don't know if this will help you as I'm pretty Suse noob but I was having a
problem yesterday installing 9.3 on a new box with an nVidia driver.

Spent the whole day searching for cures and found a post about nVidia not
installing from X.

I went to shell and init 3 and updated the driver in Yast2 text mode,
reconfigured all the video hardware settings in Yast from text mode, init 5
back to the desktop and this system has been happy since.

Hope it works for you:-)

Uwe Buckesfeld

May 5, 2005, 1:00:35 PM5/5/05
ang...@texs.com wrote in news:nKeee.1092$IU1...@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com:

> Spent the whole day searching for cures and found a post about nVidia not
> installing from X.

Hmmm.... I think when you start the install script within X, it tells you to switch to runlevel 3 first.