Client 4.83sp3 / NW3.2?

Lloyd Fifield

Jul 8, 2005, 12:04:53 PM7/8/05
Have some real issues with speed on all W2K boxes and the above client.
Looks to be a problem with printers as it's fine when there are none - with
2 or 3 on the client it takes a while to get the list and they all say
'opening' in windows for an extended period. once there it's OK, but every
app that needs to look at printers does the same thing and users see this as
very slow response....

No such problem with 98 stations, and I just tried the M$ client and it's
just a little faster, but not much...

An issue with Novell then or something else??

Thoughts people...

Lloyd

W. Prindl

Jul 8, 2005, 5:31:41 PM7/8/05
What type of application you are trying to print from and what printers
you are trying to print to. There are e. g. some HP printer drivers,
which give this effect if printing from winword. This problem for
instance could be solved by using the printer drivers included in W2k
instead of the manufacturers (HP) ones.

W. Prindl

Lloyd Fifield

Jul 11, 2005, 9:03:41 AM7/11/05
It's all applications :-(

What I think I am seeing is a delay while the validity of each printer is
checked? With no printers is fine, the more you add the longer it takes to
find them all and say 'yep - your here and online/ready'

"W. Prindl" <05...@pamtwbnospam.at> wrote in message

W. Prindl

Jul 11, 2005, 2:46:11 PM7/11/05
Is this only happening when trying to print or unrelated to printing
during work? Have you installed the client with Bindery authentication
(and IPX only of course)? Are you using Point and Print functionality?
Are your Print Drivers available for installation from your server? Are
you printing directly to the Server Queues or spooling locally?

As you say, you don't experience a better performance using the MS
Client for NW I'd assume, that your problems lies in some W2K settings
and not in the Client settings.

With NW 3.2 being a pretty basic Network operating system I'd tend to
setup printers as basic as possible i.e. disable all W2K features,
which are not absolutely needed.

Is it better if you print via captured ports?

As I have no NW 3.2 server in use since long times I can only guess
from later versions of the OS like 4.x which I had in use till this
year.

Maybe you get better answers in the novell.support.Netware.discontinued
forums for NW 3.2.

Lloyd Fifield

Jul 12, 2005, 7:32:58 AM7/12/05
Hard to say...if I get an active list of printers showing as ready apps are
fine, if not or there is a delay after checking this the problem does slow
down everything.

Yep - custom install, IPX only and bindery.

Intel Netports doing the printing - no drivers available on install, I pick
them each time. Unsure if spooled or direct - how would I tell? What W2K
features would I be looking to remove then?

I'd love to keep this NOS but as performance drops I find it hard to
justify...

"W. Prindl" <05...@pamtwbnospam.at> wrote in message

W. Prindl

Jul 12, 2005, 1:35:43 PM7/12/05
So the print queues not showing up as ready is only a symptom. Then
this looks more like a Network connectivity problem for instance speed
duplex mismatches, bad nodes etc..

First step in troubleshooting this would be to set all NICs, Hubs,
Switches etc. to autonegotiate (if that is possible). Further what
Frametypes are there on the IPX network etc.. Next step would be to
take a trace with ethereal and look if you see disconnects and
reconnects bad packets etc.

I don't think this is a problem of software incompatibility, more maybe
incompability of older and newer network hardware.

Lloyd Fifield

Jul 13, 2005, 12:34:25 PM7/13/05
Interesting - I'll have a look into this. Off the top of my head all
stations are on auto, the Intel switch agrees, and shows very few errors
etc. Frame is 802.2, but most on auto. The hardware is the same as when
they were 98 stations but a few new ones in the mix so.....

This ethereal - easy to use?

"W. Prindl" <05...@pamtwbnospam.at> wrote in message

Tony Pedretti

Jul 13, 2005, 7:08:56 PM7/13/05
Lloyd,

Too easy...

Guidelines to Take a Packet Trace
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10011012.htm

How to use Ethereal to capture a packet trace.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10070788.htm

--
Tony Pedretti