Slow boot up using nw client 491 sp2

et...@canada.canon.com

Mar 20, 2006, 3:07:52 PM3/20/06
Hi guys, I got a real bug that I can't figure out. I have IBM thinkpad
T41 model running WinXP, Zenworks Desktop Management 7 and NW client 4.91
SP2 + Patches. When booting up computer with the wireless card enabled,
it takes around 3 minutes longer than the usual to boot up Windows to the
Novell login screen. I have no problems if the wireless card is disabled.

The same setup on T42 or HP laptops and I have no problems. Any ideas?

Edison Ortiz

Mar 20, 2006, 3:42:28 PM3/20/06
On 3/20/2006 et...@canada.canon.com wrote:

> I have no problems if the wireless card is disabled.

It could be hardware problem, have you contacted IBM ?
Have you tried updating the wireless NIC driver ?
Any information on the event log ?

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

Live2...@yahoo.com

Mar 22, 2006, 2:37:42 PM3/22/06
I don't know what happened to my first post but I'll try it again.

There is a known issue with Novell clients 4.91,sp1,sp2. and the native
wireless services. Novell TID10099783

To fix your issue modify the windows service: "Wireless Zero
Configuration" startup type setting to AUTOMATIC.

Hope this helps.

Live2...@yahoo.com

Mar 22, 2006, 2:14:58 PM3/22/06

Tony Pedretti

Mar 22, 2006, 6:07:50 PM3/22/06
Do you mean this TID?...

After pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL there is a 2 minute delay before the NWGINA
appears.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10099173.htm

Using Bootvis some of us have isolated svchost.exe (mrxsmb.sys) getting hung
during startup when 1 - 2 minute delays were present.

Lets gather some more details about your environment...

Any additional components of the client installed?
What protocols are bound to the client?

Windows Event logs showing anything unusual?
Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image?

Security or any other driver-based software like firewall, VPN, remote
management or antivirus installed and running?

BootVis is be a good troubleshooting option for general startup delays.
1.3.37.0 can be downloaded from various web sites to help you troubleshoot
where delays are present in XP's startup...

Fast Boot / Fast Resume Design
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/default.mspx

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/bootvis/

Can you verify a virus, spyware or some other corruption has not affected
Windows?
I've used these utilities in the past to help troubleshoot and they can tell
you wonders about what is really going on with Windows...

AutoRuns, Process Explorer, Filemon, Regmon, LoadOrder, TCPView, and TDImon
http://www.sysinternals.com/

DriverView and ServiWin
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion Corporation

Live2...@yahoo.com

Mar 22, 2006, 8:38:23 PM3/22/06
Yes that is the TID I was refering to. I know it states the symptom you
listed, but Novell confirmed that there are other symptoms than what was
stated in the TID. They said that the tid is actually suppose to be
upated soon.

Our symptom was like what the original post stated, and we saw the delay
from the time the power was turned on to when the Novell Client Login came
up.

When we applied the fix which was published by Microsoft as this TID
states, our issue cleared up immediately.

Novell's recommended fix for 4.91sp2 was to apply 491PSP2_CONN.EXE and
remove the following key from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetwareWorkstation\Dep
endOnService

We chose to go the other route just because we could to that much quicker.

Pete Karasz

Tony Pedretti

Mar 22, 2006, 10:20:26 PM3/22/06
Pete,

I was involved with this issue originally so I'm curious if there have
been new developments.
Do you have any more details? Updated with the other symptoms?

Sounds like Novell support is recommending clearing the DependOnService
registry value and applying the Connectivity patch as an initial
troubleshooting step for slow startups/login.
I received the same advise during an iPrint service request I had opened
with them involving delayed system startup and login.

I agree with applying the patch but you would need to prove to me the
delay is in the Novell Service Location(SRVLOC) service itself and not
in the config of SLP or third-party interference...

"Tree or server not found" error on bootup and immediate login
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10086186.htm

Server or Tree not found after applying Windows XP sp2
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10095407.htm

NetWare Client registry settings to control the behavior of SLP
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10086052.htm

--
Tony Pedretti

Pete Karasz

Mar 25, 2006, 4:27:57 PM3/25/06
Tony,

Not more than I mentioned in my previous post. I was actually
troubleshooting an isse with installing Imanager with an eDirectory Expert,
and while we were waiting for something I just started to mention this to
him and asked if he was familiar with it. He wasn't but he said he had
access to the person responsible for the "Novell Client" so he took the
information to him and the recommendation I posted was from that person
directly. I imagine something is forthcoming.

We stripped the notebooks down as much as possible and then modified the
Wireless setting and they broke every time. I imagine this is also visible
in many other models of notebooks. The ones we had the issue in were
HP6220/IntelWireless, Dell models with integrated and with Cisco 350
wireless cards.

Pete

chuck

Mar 29, 2006, 1:40:08 PM3/29/06

I had the problem on our Dell laptops w/ integrated intel wireless nics.
The solution was to set the intel software to control the wireless
connection...not let windoze do it. (uncheck "use windows to configure
my wireless network settings" from the properties of the wireless
connection>>"wireless networks"). wonder if that is in effect, the
same as adjusting the settings of the service. (?).

also found that this was mainly an issue in our office, where there is
no wireless access point (yet). when I brought a laptop home and tried
it on my home wireless, it booted right up, with hardly any delay.
there is about a 10 second delay with windows managing the connection,
but thats way better than 1-2 minutes. seems to me that its searching
for a connection, and won't give up till it finds one, or the user
falls asleep. even windows can find one at my house in a reasonable
amount of time.

--
chuck