New gatekeeper

Ryan Dahl

Jan 30, 2012, 2:55:59 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter. Our energy will now be
largely focused over the next few months on improving the third party
module system experience including a website for browsing modules, a
new addon build system, and binary installations from npm. Isaac is in
the unique position to bridge the gap between core and external
modules to ensure a pleasant experience. After three years of working
on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an
employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won't be
involved in the day-to-day bug fixes. Isaac has final say over what
makes it into the releases. Appeals for new features, changes, and bug
fixes should now be directed at him.

Arnout Kazemier

Jan 30, 2012, 2:58:33 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Isaac!

CAN WE HAS WEBSOCKETS AND SPDY IN CORE ;D

Tim Caswell

Jan 30, 2012, 2:58:53 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

Thanks for an awesome project. I know many of us will be enjoying it
for years to come.

-Tim

Fedor Indutny

Jan 30, 2012, 3:01:15 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Just, thank you.

Tim Branyen

Jan 30, 2012, 3:34:41 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
A tear in my eye, I said I wouldn't cry, time for good bye =(
tim branyen, bocoup

Bradley Meck

Jan 30, 2012, 3:45:50 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Congrats to Ryan on getting some time to go back to new projects and
congrats to Isaacs on being the guy who will decide on the big stuff
from now on.

Cheers,
Bradley

P.S. Who is the key master...

Mikeal Rogers

Jan 30, 2012, 3:53:27 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
The "L" in BDFL means LIFE, BRO!

:)

It's good to see the focus moving from core to the module community and there is no better person than Issac to help move it.

-Mikeal

Tane

Jan 30, 2012, 3:58:22 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with the research stuff - hope we get to see some of the more interesting and successful results.  Thanks again for all your hard work to get us to this point with node, and I'm sure Issac will be as pragmatic in his decisions with node as you were.

James Carr

Jan 30, 2012, 4:02:18 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Oh wow.

Good luck with the research stuff, and big thanks for the amazing work
you've put into node.js. It's nice to know that Isaac will be taking
the reins. He's been passionately involved since the beginning.:)

Thanks,
James

dvbportal

Jan 30, 2012, 4:03:25 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Really? This is kind of sad. Anyways, thanks for the fantastic work. Node will always be your baby.

Scott Ware

Jan 30, 2012, 4:07:13 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Congrats to everyone! Best of luck on your new research projects, Ryan!

tjholowaychuk

Jan 30, 2012, 4:10:24 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
I can only imagine how it feels to work on the same thing for ~3
years, good luck with the new stuff! You must have a huge list of
things to tinker with

Paul Querna

Jan 30, 2012, 4:18:52 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for making Node a beautiful system.

-Paul

Elijah Insua

Jan 30, 2012, 4:23:18 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
congrats to both of you - well deserved!

maga

Jan 30, 2012, 4:27:57 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
> The "L" in BDFL means LIFE, BRO!
I definitely hope so!

Thanks, Ryan!

Felix Geisendoerfer

Jan 30, 2012, 4:33:40 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your amazing work Ryan. I'm very much looking forward to the things you will be doing in the future.

Marco Rogers

Jan 30, 2012, 4:37:56 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I suppose you deserve a break :) Congrats to Isaac. Here's to continuing to push node forward.

:Marco

Christopher Jeffrey

Jan 30, 2012, 4:44:51 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Goodbye, ry. Thanks for node and thanks for serving us well.

substack

Jan 30, 2012, 4:54:44 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
As a fellow mad scientist I understand completely. Have a
commemorative cartoon to mark the occasion:

http://substack.net/images/coronation.png

Nicholas Campbell

Jan 30, 2012, 5:04:01 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Very cool. Thanks for cultivating such an awesome project Ryan.

And, both congrats and good luck to Isaac with the new role. :)

- Nick Campbell

http://digitaltumbleweed.com

Martin Lundberg

Jan 30, 2012, 5:13:55 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan, Node.js is a great piece of technology!

Ray Morgan

Jan 30, 2012, 5:14:55 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Congrats to both of you.

Ryan, thank you for such a well thought out system and not allowing
everything and anything into core!

Aaron Heckmann

Jan 30, 2012, 5:25:39 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Ryan for giving javascript its missing arms and legs. Congrats Isaac.

--
Job Board: http://jobs.nodejs.org/

Aaron

DTrejo

Jan 30, 2012, 5:59:16 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Ryan — I look forward to the firm rule of Schlueter the beneficent.

Ryan

Jan 30, 2012, 6:00:15 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Thanks, you did an awesome job. Hope hope your time isn't all
research, relax.

Ted Young

Jan 30, 2012, 6:39:08 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully this frees you up for a vacation first!

Ted

cwolves

Jan 30, 2012, 7:14:31 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Good luck to both of you. I look forward to seeing your future
projects, Ryan!

Chris Grant

Jan 30, 2012, 4:05:12 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Thanks for all your hard work, Ryan. We wish you the very best in your
research projects!

Ryan Doenges

Jan 30, 2012, 3:30:33 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
*applause*

This is sad/exciting.

Gary Berger (gaberger)

Jan 30, 2012, 8:31:21 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com, nodejs
Good luck Ryan. Not many people can bring about a paradigm shift.

Be proud.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 30, 2012, at 7:14 PM, Chris Grant <cdgo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all your hard work, Ryan. We wish you the very best in your
> research projects!

dhruvbird

Jan 30, 2012, 9:35:11 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Thanks for node.js and everything else that goes with it!! :)

MK2

Jan 30, 2012, 10:06:21 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Thanks, Ryan.

Srirangan

Jan 30, 2012, 10:19:37 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan, congrats Isaac.

- Sri

Srirangan  |  About   GitHub  LinkedIn  Twitter  |  Review19  "Next generation, real-time project collaboration"

Thanks, Ryan.

ekryski

Jan 30, 2012, 10:33:55 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Congrats to both you guys! Thanks for all the hard work.

Glenn Block

Jan 30, 2012, 11:04:31 PM1/30/12
to Ryan Dahl, nodejs
Congrats Ryan! You've done amazing work on node. You'd be surprised to
know how many teams at my work are really serious about using it! Enjoy
your much deserved break.

Isaac, looking forward to the future!

Sent from my Windows Phone

Alan Gutierrez

Jan 30, 2012, 11:11:15 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 1/30/12 2:55 PM, Ryan Dahl wrote:
> Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
> my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter. Our energy will now be
> largely focused over the next few months on improving the third party
> module system experience including a website for browsing modules, a
> new addon build system, and binary installations from npm. Isaac is in
> the unique position to bridge the gap between core and external
> modules to ensure a pleasant experience. After three years of working
> on Node, this frees me up to work on research projects. I am still an
> employee at Joyent and will advise from the sidelines but I won't be
> involved in the day-to-day bug fixes. Isaac has final say over what
> makes it into the releases. Appeals for new features, changes, and bug
> fixes should now be directed at him.

Thank you both for this platform that saved me from a dreadful object
oriented software pattern existence. Node.js peeled back the layers and
layers of abstraction that had congealed over the years, and made it
okay for a programmer to once again, lay hands on the operating system.
A whole new crop of programmers is coming up that know their UDP from
their TCP. They are scary smart and out of control productive.

It would be difficult to overstate the importance of Node.js, but all to
easy to invite an accusation of over-hyping Node.js. Let me understate
that I see a bright future for Node.js.

I am grateful to have this platform in which to express myself.

Thank you.

--
Alan Gutierrez - @bigeasy

Sanat Gersappa

Jan 30, 2012, 11:15:56 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the awesome work and good luck for future projects. I'm sure node is in good hands and will continue to thrive.

Mohamed Mansour

Jan 30, 2012, 11:34:47 PM1/30/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan! You created something awesome and amazing that you spend contributing code for all these three years! You inspire me and many others! Looking forward seeing what you will cook up next :)

inimino

Jan 31, 2012, 12:19:31 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, congratulations, and best wishes to you both!

Bruno Jouhier

Jan 31, 2012, 12:24:03 AM1/31/12
to nodejs
Thanks Ryan. I hadn't had so much fun programming in years. And node
is not just fun, it is an incredible enabler. Many many thanks.

And good luck to Isaac. I'm sure you'll carry the spirit forwards.

Bruno

Koichi Kobayashi

Jan 31, 2012, 12:27:20 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan, good luck with the new stuff!
Congrats Isaac!

2012/1/31 inimino <ini...@inimino.org>:

> Thanks, congratulations, and best wishes to you both!

Le Zhang

Jan 31, 2012, 12:52:31 AM1/31/12
to nodejs
Thanks for everything Ryan! Hope you can get some nice R&R along w/
that R&D..

Josh

Jan 31, 2012, 1:29:17 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
I remember I was about 5 or so beers to the wind at Node Summercamp hanging out by some sort of dance barn (... ??), and you said "I won't be around forever you know" or some such, and some guy next to me almost lost his shit. Amusing memory. Here is a commemorative song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKO_1xf0Sjw - congrats Isaac!

On another note, just decided we'll be using Node as our web platform of choice after I sent one of my guys to Node Summit. Glorious!

Josh

Herry Wang

Jan 31, 2012, 1:55:06 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
i just jumped into nodejs days ago and have fun with it...

Thanks for create it.

Thanks
Herry

Andrew Chilton

Jan 31, 2012, 2:35:57 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
On 31 January 2012 08:55, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
> Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding
> my position as gatekeeper to Isaac Schlueter.

Very many thanks Ryan for creating something awesome and for making a
great language like JS into a great tool with Node.

Also, congratulations to Isaacs and thanks for stepping into large
shoes ... it's a good job you have big feet too ... you're prefect for
the role and we as a community can't ask for anyone better. :)

Cheers,
Andy

--
Andrew Chilton
e: chi...@appsattic.com

Felix Halim

Jan 31, 2012, 3:37:12 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ryan Dahl!

You've made web development fun again :).

Good luck with your new research projects.
I'm sure you will make yet another breakthrough!

Felix Halim

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Ryan Dahl <r...@tinyclouds.org> wrote:
> Now that the rewrite on top of libuv is largely complete, I am ceding

Murvin Lai

Jan 31, 2012, 3:52:09 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the great work Ryan, and bring us this awesome and exciting thing called Node.js  :)   All the best!

Outsider

Jan 31, 2012, 9:21:57 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for awsome project.
I love it!!!
Outsider
Front-end & Server-side Developer

Twitter : @Outsideris
*************************************************/

Stephen Veit

Jan 31, 2012, 9:53:44 AM1/31/12
to nodejs
Ryan,

Thanks for Node.js! It is my webserver of choice. Good luck in your
future endeavors!

--
Steve Veit

Chris Partridge

Jan 30, 2012, 8:16:43 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Thanks for all your hard work Ryan, and good luck Isaac!

MaartenPI

Jan 31, 2012, 3:39:25 AM1/31/12
to nodejs
Ryan, keep it up! Must be great, being architect / developer from such
a great piece of software. Everywhere around me, I see it happening.
Definitly going to give it a go in my next project.

Cheers,
Just another fan ;)

Pedro Narciso García Revington

Jan 31, 2012, 1:09:54 AM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan!

Abdel Said

Jan 30, 2012, 8:25:34 PM1/30/12
to nodejs
Thank you for the great product.

GottZ

Jan 31, 2012, 2:23:56 AM1/31/12
to nodejs
i've been watching this since 0.2
i was impressed. i was thinking that i known javascript very well but
you have proven me wrong.
node enhanced my javascript skills and so did some books i bought in
that time.

i was searching for something like this for ages.
i've even poked around with spidermonkey in order to run some of my
applications in javascript. then came v8 and you got this here rolling
pretty well.

i dunno how i could express my mind but but but.. thank you. you sir,
are an enlighter.

time to create a church of nodejs.

"for(;;){check();do();}"

darren

Jan 31, 2012, 1:45:19 PM1/31/12
to nodejs
Big thanks, Ryan. Great work on node. Looking forward to see where
your research projects will lead.

Darren

edmellum

Jan 31, 2012, 3:42:39 PM1/31/12
to nodejs
Thanks to both of you for all the amazing work. Here's to a bright
future for
Ryan, Issac and Node.

Robert Gould

Jan 31, 2012, 6:15:38 PM1/31/12
to nodejs
Ryan, thanks for making the world a better place!

On Jan 31, 8:00 am, Ryan <ryanro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, you did an awesome job. Hope hope your time isn't all
> research, relax.

马涛

Jan 31, 2012, 8:54:48 PM1/31/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan, I love node.js !

发自我的 iPhone

在 2012-1-31,6:14,Martin Lundberg <martin....@gmail.com> 写道:

> Thanks Ryan,

Garrett Wilkin

Feb 1, 2012, 12:58:06 PM2/1/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
This is such a huge milestone for the community.

Thanks to you Ryan for forging ahead to create this project back in the days when we didn't have upload progress bars :)

Isaac, I've been burning through the NodeUp podcasts, and I definitely think you've got the sensible approach that's needed to steer this project forward.

The module system is the primary way for the wider community to participate in node, and getting that part right will really contribute to the long term success of the project.

Fauzi As

Feb 1, 2012, 2:32:47 PM2/1/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Long life BDFL! It was such an excitement to see what you guys gone throughout these years, it was such an amazing experiences me and my teams have.

My decent respect for your initiative Node.JS, i will remember this, and good luck on your next 'research' projects. perhaps an 'ipod' gentleman?

m1k3l

Feb 5, 2012, 12:23:14 AM2/5/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ryan for making this project such a success; what an inspiration for developers all over the world.

Congrats Isaac! Let the fun continues ;-)

George Snelling

Feb 7, 2012, 12:30:13 AM2/7/12
to nod...@googlegroups.com
Ryan,

Only time will tell, but I think historians will count you among those who have have moved the discipline a step forward. You join an august group of engineers who have followed s similar path:  a brilliant insight, an elegant implementation, a select team.  The codebase will have its long run, and will eventually be replaced by something better.  But the ideas embodied in node are with us forever.  You have made the whole world better with your mind and your two hands. Thank you.

-George

phidelta

Feb 8, 2012, 8:45:30 AM2/8/12
to nodejs
The king is dead; Long live the king!

Thanks to your great leadership, this will not negatively impact the
vibrant nodejs community. It will however positively impact the
personal satisfaction with your daily tasks. So I congratulate you
from the bottom of my heart. Let's have an adequate period of mourning
and then decide where and how to errect proper statuary and memorials.

Oh wait, you have already done so by creating Node. My Bad. ;)