Syncing DVCS with SubVersion

Manoj Phatak

Dec 6, 2010, 5:43:59 AM12/6/10
to nitinsknowledgeshare
Hi,

It is very common that we are working on some document / source code
when we are travelling or offline for some reason.

I believe (as I learnt in Nitin's school) in the policy of "commit
early - commit often".
But when I'm offline, I can't do that. This makes me very
uncomfortable & drags down my productivity.

Perhaps the answer to this is DVCS (Distributed Version Control
System) like Git & Mercurial. Effectively I can carry repository on my
laptop.

Anyone has experience / knowledge about the following:

- How easy it is to learn a DVCS? I mean the Learning Curve.
- Can I sync DVCS on my laptop - with the central subversion
repository? This is most important.
- Which DVCS you would recommend?

Thanks,
Manoj

Vinay Marje

Dec 6, 2010, 7:28:22 AM12/6/10
to nitinsknow...@googlegroups.com
Following link describes the process in easy to follow steps.
It shows git & svn integration

http://flavio.castelli.name/howto_use_git_with_svn

Regards,

Vinay

nitinbhide

Dec 6, 2010, 7:29:53 AM12/6/10
to nitinsknowledgeshare
Hi Manoj,

Most DVCS have a plugin that works with SVN repository. I have used
TortoiseHg and HgSVN to solve the exactly the scenario that you
described. My recommendation is Mercurial(Hg) (http://
mercurial.selenic.com/)

1. Download and install TortoiseHg (Mercurial client for Windows)
http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/
2. Download HgSubversion extension (http://bitbucket.org/durin42/
hgsubversion/wiki/Home)
3. Enable extension. Add line like following to mercurial.ini
[extensions]
hgsubversion = C:\repos\hgsubversion
You can check the details here.
4. Now clone a repository (make sure to use svn+http:// as protocol).
Also for first time you may have enter your SVN user name/password
twice.
5. Once a repository is cloned, then you can do local commit/updates.
Use 'sync' option to sync your local changes with SVN server.

For general Mercurial related information :

For introduction to Mercurial check http://hginit.com
Check TortoiseHg for SVN users (http://bitbucket.org/tortoisehg/stable/
wiki/SVN)

regards,
Nitin

Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे

Dec 6, 2010, 7:48:19 AM12/6/10
to nitinsknow...@googlegroups.com
- How easy it is to learn a DVCS? I mean the Learning Curve.

I have used SVN, Git and Hg. I don't think DVCS concepts are difficult to pickup.
You already understand that DVCS provides you local VCS, which you can later sync with "remote" - That the main difference compared to centralized VCS.

- Can I sync DVCS on my laptop - with the central subversion
repository? This is most important.

If it is in your control - I would suggest that move to DVCS entirely - so that all you do when you get online is push to remote.
If you don't have option -  Nitin has already responded.

- Which DVCS you would recommend?

If you need GUI and/or you work on Windows - Hg.
Linux and cmdline - Git (Git also has UI that I use on Linux - not sure about Windows UI got git)

vishwajeet singh

Dec 6, 2010, 8:01:49 AM12/6/10
to nitinsknow...@googlegroups.com
I wrote an article over 2 yrs back which in general talks about centralized vs dvcs, might be worth reading

2010/12/6 Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे <manda...@gmail.com>

Vishwajeet Singh
+91-9657702154 | dextr...@gmail.com | http://bootstraptoday.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/vishwajeets | LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/singhvishwajeet