sci.aquaria

Richard Sexton

Jun 8, 1990, 1:29:09 PM6/8/90

In article <80...@brazos.Rice.edu> gam...@owlnet.rice.edu (Ben Gamble)
spends much energy defending BIFF and things BIFFy on the net, and then:

>Rod Johnson - U Michigan Linguistics : Internet: r...@um.cc.umich.edu writes:
>>And you're moaning about the occasional BIFF posting?
>>Remember Richard Sexton? We've clearly forgotten what real
>>newsgroup pollution is like...
>
>This is simply too good to let go by. Ben, who do you think invented
>BIFF in the first place? Richard, I know you're up there in usenet
>heaven laughing.

Like the man said, "the reports of my demise are highly exagerated",
but yes there is more than a trifle of amusement being generated here.

I make no claim to inventing BIFF. Blame Joe Talmadge. Joe wasn't
too busy one year at HP and invented a whole cast of characters
such as SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR MAN, Bobby Joe (Dedicated Wobegon
listener), Joe Supportive (soc.singles reader for 1.5 years) and
off course the big bad BIFFSTER.

I posted a few BIFF articles from my account at gryphon, but
now there are about 20 people, well connected, posting BIFF
forgeries. You probably don't want to hear that the people doing
them had to find something to occupy themselves after they
dissolved the backbone cabal.

Old timers will probably rather blame Webber, of course...

--
``Boy, do I feel stupid now. I knew the humor was Sextonesque, but...''
-- Ben Gamble

Joe Talmadge

Jun 15, 1990, 2:25:23 PM6/15/90
Richard Sexton writes:
> In article <80...@brazos.Rice.edu> gam...@owlnet.rice.edu (Ben Gamble)
> spends much energy defending BIFF and things BIFFy on the net, and then:
> >Rod Johnson - U Michigan Linguistics : Internet: r...@um.cc.umich.edu writes:
> >>And you're moaning about the occasional BIFF posting?
> >>Remember Richard Sexton? We've clearly forgotten what real
> >>newsgroup pollution is like...
> >
> >This is simply too good to let go by. Ben, who do you think invented
> >BIFF in the first place? Richard, I know you're up there in usenet
> >heaven laughing.
>
> Like the man said, "the reports of my demise are highly exagerated",
> but yes there is more than a trifle of amusement being generated here.
>
> I make no claim to inventing BIFF. Blame Joe Talmadge. Joe wasn't
> too busy one year at HP and invented a whole cast of characters
> such as SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR MAN, Bobby Joe (Dedicated Wobegon
> listener), Joe Supportive (soc.singles reader for 1.5 years) and
> off course the big bad BIFFSTER.

Oh. Hey. Don't blame me. It's Webber's fault.

Anyway, I may have invented BIFF, but Richard made him famous.
Richard is the Roy Crock of BIFF; meanwhile, I fade quietly into
obscurity.

Although from the looks of things here, it may be time for
the revival of System Administrator Man.

Joe Talmadge
j...@hpsemc.hp.com
hplabs!hpda!hpsemc!jat
jat%hps...@hplabs.HP.COM