Whole Grain Baking newsgroup

1 view

hutchndi

Jun 11, 2006, 4:03:18 PM6/11/06
Hello, I am interested in getting a newsgroup requst out for whole
grain baking discussions. The only one I can find is
alt.fan.bread.whole-grain and there is little interest if any, but more
generalized whole grain baking groups on Yahoo and Msn are common,
though replies take forever sometimes. I would really like to follow
through on this.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Russ Hutchings

Whiskers

Jun 11, 2006, 6:26:55 PM6/11/06

alt.bread.recipes and rec.food.baking look fairly active.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

hutchndi

Jun 11, 2006, 8:54:49 PM6/11/06

> alt.bread.recipes and rec.food.baking look fairly active.
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, and I pop in both from time to time, but whole grain foods are
really just an included topic, and I would really like the discussions
to delve deeper into the nutritional benefits and how to best prepare
to get the most out of them, besides just the baking and recipe sharing
of great tasting whole grain breads. For instance, rec.food.sourdough
is an excellent place to learn sourdough bread baking, but the mention
of its use in whole grain breads draws few replies, and general baking
discussions tend to lean toward using high % or at least some all
purpose flour, deeply frowned on by many whole grain enthusiests.

Brian Mailman

Jun 11, 2006, 10:08:17 PM6/11/06
hutchndi wrote:

> Hello, I am interested in getting a newsgroup requst out for whole
> grain baking discussions. The only one I can find is
> alt.fan.bread.whole-grain

The alt.fan.* hierarchy isn't _for_ promotion/admiration as one might
think, but why don't you see if you can start some conversations in that
group? Put in your .signature file a message like "if you're interested
in discussing whole-grain bread baking, subscribe to
alt.fan.bread.whole-grain. If your provider doesn't carry it, ask for
it." Then people will see it when you post *on-topic* in the groups you
inhabit.

> and there is little interest if any, but more
> generalized whole grain baking groups on Yahoo and Msn are common,
> though replies take forever sometimes. I would really like to follow
> through on this.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

Find out where the people interested in this are posting and see if you
can round up support for a separate group in the Big 8 is a good start.
That would be alt.bread.recipes, rec.food.baking, and as you know,
rec.food.sourdough. I guess the name would be rec.food.baking.whole-grain.

B/ (yes, same B/)

Will

Jun 12, 2006, 9:45:31 AM6/12/06

Hutch,

Got your email.

I would see what Jonathan Kandell's up to. He set up a yahoo group for
whole grain last year. There are about 155 members (you've posted
there). I know it's not use-net, but Yahoo has made some improvements
within the last month or so. The threading is better, you can post
pictures and so forth. It will send email, but I've bookmarked it and
post directly.

Will

hutchndi

Jun 12, 2006, 10:11:52 AM6/12/06
Actually I am involved in a thread with Jonathan's yahoo group now.
Great group. Seems highly moderated though, a post sometimes doesnt
show up for a day or two. Also the group is often unaccessable for some
reason.

Russ H

kan...@gmail.com

Jun 12, 2006, 11:40:06 AM6/12/06
No problem with a usenet whole grain group; the more the merrier. (The
primary law of the internet.)

But fyi the yahoo group wholegra...@yahoogroups.com is not
heavily moderated. I moderate new members until their first post only
to sift out spammers; I never censor content, even if I think it's
silly or somewhat offensive. (Second primary law of the internet?)
The delays have been mostly at yahoo's end, not at my end.

Jonathan kandell
list owner
wholegrain-baking@yahoogroup

hutchndi

Jun 12, 2006, 11:48:30 AM6/12/06
Thanks for the note of encouragment Jonathan, as I said, I dont want to
distract from your very helpful group, just prefer the newsgroup
format, and if this gets off the ground your group will be recommended
at any chance. Hopefully Yahoo will get its act together.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 12, 2006, 2:13:34 PM6/12/06
At 5:54pm -0700, 06/11/06, hutc...@cox.net wrote:

>>alt.bread.recipes and rec.food.baking look fairly active.

>Yes, and I pop in both from time to time, but whole grain foods are

>really just an included topic, and I would really like the discussions
>to delve deeper into the nutritional benefits and how to best prepare
>to get the most out of them, besides just the baking and recipe sharing
>of great tasting whole grain breads. For instance, rec.food.sourdough
>is an excellent place to learn sourdough bread baking, but the mention
>of its use in whole grain breads draws few replies, and general baking
>discussions tend to lean toward using high % or at least some all
>purpose flour, deeply frowned on by many whole grain enthusiests.

Here are some other places to look for discussion, since you wish to
discuss nutritional benefits:

rec.food.veg.cooking Vegetarian recipes, cooking, nutrition. (Moderated)
sci.med.nutrition Physiological impacts of diet.
alt.food.vegan.science Academic debate on plant-based diets.

alt.support.diet is another possibility, but tread carefully.

You may not find that there are enough Usenet users interested in this very
narrow topic to warrant its own newsgroup. Instead, start reading various
newsgroups that have been suggested, pick the one that most closely
resembles the topic, and get discussion going in that group. Keep checking
various food, diet, and nutrition groups. If someone asks a question, you
might mention the discussion taking place in the other group.

At some point in the future if you do get plenty of discussion going on the
topic, you may wish to consider a split.

hutchndi

Jun 12, 2006, 2:16:57 PM6/12/06
I will definitely check those groups out, thanks, I pointed this thread
out a few places so maybe we will get an idea if its really that
narrow, you may be right.

Russ Hutchings

hutchndi

Jun 13, 2006, 8:57:27 AM6/13/06

> Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> > You may not find that there are enough Usenet users interested in this very
> > narrow topic to warrant its own newsgroup.

Besides checking out those other groups, might it be a better idea to
for me try to get the alt.fan.bread.whole-wheat newsgroup changed to
**wholegrain? The "bread.whole-wheat" is really a much much narrower
subject, but somehow it warrants its own newsgroup.

Russ Hutchings

Dave Sill

Jun 13, 2006, 10:07:39 AM6/13/06
"hutchndi" <hutc...@cox.net> writes:

> Besides checking out those other groups, might it be a better idea to
> for me try to get the alt.fan.bread.whole-wheat newsgroup changed to
> **wholegrain? The "bread.whole-wheat" is really a much much narrower
> subject, but somehow it warrants its own newsgroup.

No. There's no mechanism for renaming alt groups. You could create
alt.fan.bread.wholegrain, but that would overlap the whole-wheat
group. Have you asked the whole-wheat group if they object to
non-wheat, wholegrain discussions?

-Dave

hutchndi

Jun 13, 2006, 10:28:03 AM6/13/06

Have you asked the whole-wheat group if they object to
> non-wheat, wholegrain discussions?
>
> -Dave

Well, no, because there hasnt been anyone there but spammers for the
last year or so. I did post to see if anyone is awake.

Russ

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 13, 2006, 12:43:40 PM6/13/06
At 5:57am -0700, 06/13/06, hutc...@cox.net wrote:

>Besides checking out those other groups, might it be a better idea to
>for me try to get the alt.fan.bread.whole-wheat newsgroup changed to
>**wholegrain?

The likelihood of success of such an effort (persuasion of every single News
administrator who had created the group to simultaneously change its name)
is so miniscule that it's not thought to be possible to change the name of
an existing newsgroup.

Brian told you in another message that some alt.fan.* groups are used to
disparage their subjects and fans. Even if that group isn't, it's badly
named and there should be no attempt to create legitimate groups in which to
discuss food and nutrition in that second-level hierarchy.

Brian Mailman

Jun 13, 2006, 12:55:15 PM6/13/06
*followup set to alt.config*

Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Brian told you in another message that some alt.fan.* groups are used to
> disparage their subjects and fans. Even if that group isn't, it's badly
> named and there should be no attempt to create legitimate groups in which to
> discuss food and nutrition in that second-level hierarchy.

Just saying, if it's alreay somewhat propgated, would be less work than
starting completely from scratch with a new group.

B/

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 13, 2006, 2:17:35 PM6/13/06

Right. I do endorse the idea of posting on-topic and related-topic
discussion in existing newsgroups, even if their names aren't ideal.

hutchndi

Jun 15, 2006, 1:29:20 AM6/15/06

I did post at alt.fan.bread.whole-grain. Then I subscribed so that I
could watch for any responses. Then I noticed that I am the only
suscriber (number of subscribers: 1).

More reason to drop that group and give **.wholegrain a shot.

Russ Hutchings

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 15, 2006, 3:52:33 AM6/15/06

Earlier, you'd posted this same message to alt.config after being told by
several people the reasons that newsgroups cannot be renamed. In a followup
to this message, I told you that newsgroups cannot be dropped.

Several people told you to read the FAQs that give a basic explanation of
how newsgroups work, particularly BarB's FAQ. We told you where to find
them.

No responsible user of news.groups is going to tell you what you want to
hear either. It's well past time to withdraw as a proponent.

hutchndi

Jun 15, 2006, 9:44:57 AM6/15/06
I was wondering what happened to that post, I thought I posted it here,
I dont even recall ever visiting alt.config. so I am not sure how I did
that. There was no earlier mention of BarB's FAQ that recall either,
but I will look for it. Thanks.

Brian Mailman

Jun 15, 2006, 12:04:45 PM6/15/06
hutchndi wrote:

> I was wondering what happened to that post, I thought I posted it here,
> I dont even recall ever visiting alt.config. so I am not sure how I did
> that.

Remember how in rec.food.sourdough I keep saying that it's not a mailing
list, it's a Usenet newsgroup that many are accessing through a mailing
list "gateway" (and that that interface is broken, but that's a separate
issue)?

All of these are Usenet newsgroups. When I wrote on top of a message,
"followup set to alt.config" that was a warning that the next time you
replied to *that particular message* it would wind up in alt.config.
You can do that with Usenet newsgroups, but you can't with mailing lists.

You might want to subscribe to news.newusers.questions and ask.

B/

Message has been deleted