2005-10-03 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Gervase Markham

Oct 11, 2005, 6:29:37 AM10/11/05
2005-10-03 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

Present: mitchell, dougt, josh, chofmann, cbeard, john lilly, dbaron,
karen, pav, chase, vlad, brendan, jesse, mscott, blake, rafael, jst,
asa, marcia, justdave, mconnor, myk, bienvenu, hecker, beltzner, polvi,
dria, gerv, bsmedberg, schroep.

*Thunderbird*

- 1.0.7 went out last week; fixes command-line injection vulnerability

*Firefox 1.5*

- 11.59pm tonight is lockdown for beta 2, shipping Wednesday
- Decent amount of bugs still open, more than beta 1
- Nothing that looks like stopping us hitting that ship date

- beta 1 users will get beta 2 using new software update
- 1.25 million downloads of beta 1 by Wednesday
- First use of update on a large scale; good load and stress test

*Foundation*

- Looking into additional items to sell in the Mozilla store
- Trying to schedule a board meeting
- Trying to knock relicensing on the head
- Looking into how the Foundation could support Mozilla-related
accessibility initiatives

*News server*

- Giganews are ready, but we aren't yet
- The matching mailing lists need setting up
- Need to figure out who and how is doing that work

*Next Developer Day*

- No firm plans at the moment
- But we know we want to have one, although probably not before 1.5
ships
- Early January?

Gerv

Thomas Stache (News)

Oct 11, 2005, 7:02:20 AM10/11/05
I notice Ben Goodger isn't listed with the attendees of the
*mozilla.org* staff (not Mozilla Corp, right?) meetings for quite some
time. Is he still considered dev lead for Firefox? Is a single person in
a "Executive" position driving the 1.5 aviary releases?

Peter Lairo

Oct 11, 2005, 9:03:31 AM10/11/05
Gervase Markham on 11.10.2005 12:29 wrote:
> - Looking into how the Foundation could support Mozilla-related
> accessibility initiatives

How do you make the bulleted paragraphs *wrap to below the bullet*, and
not to the left edge? Are you doing this in Thunderbird somehow? Surely,
you are not doing this by hand?
--
Peter Lairo

This is a *developer* newsgroup. For end-user discussion and peer
support please go to:
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.mozilla.user.general (make
sure "SSL" is enabled)
Posting Rulz: http://www.mozilla.org/community-etiquette.html#conventions
Mozilla FAQ: http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/

Boris Zbarsky

Oct 11, 2005, 10:18:43 AM10/11/05
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Gervase Markham on 11.10.2005 12:29 wrote:
>> - Looking into how the Foundation could support Mozilla-related
>> accessibility initiatives
>
> How do you make the bulleted paragraphs *wrap to below the bullet*, and
> not to the left edge? Are you doing this in Thunderbird somehow? Surely,
> you are not doing this by hand?

Try this markup:

<li>Long Text</li>
<li>Long Text</li>

Note lack of <ul>.

It sounds like whatever mail reader you're using generates that sort of HTML out
of the text you're getting...

-Boris

Justin Wood (Callek)

Oct 11, 2005, 11:01:16 AM10/11/05

I am by no means an official voice, so I cant answer definitively, and
in-fact I cant really answer your question directly; But I can say Ben
Goodger currently is working at Google, though he is still pouring some
of his time into Mozilla. How much, and if he is paid are well beyond
my knowledge.

~Justin Wood (Callek)

fantasai

Oct 11, 2005, 5:23:39 PM10/11/05
Peter Lairo wrote:
> Gervase Markham on 11.10.2005 12:29 wrote:
>
>> - Looking into how the Foundation could support Mozilla-related
>> accessibility initiatives
>
> How do you make the bulleted paragraphs *wrap to below the bullet*, and
> not to the left edge? Are you doing this in Thunderbird somehow? Surely,
> you are not doing this by hand?

I'll bet you five dollars Gerv wrapped that by hand.

~fantasai

Peter Lairo

Oct 12, 2005, 5:38:12 AM10/12/05
Boris Zbarsky on 11.10.2005 16:18 wrote:
> Peter Lairo wrote:
>> Gervase Markham on 11.10.2005 12:29 wrote:
>>> - Looking into how the Foundation could support Mozilla-related
>>> accessibility initiatives
>>
>> How do you make the bulleted paragraphs *wrap to below the bullet*,
>> and not to the left edge? Are you doing this in Thunderbird somehow?
>> Surely, you are not doing this by hand?
>
> Try this markup:

> <li>Long Text</li>
> <li>Long Text</li>

But Gerv's post was *plaintext*, not HTML. :-\

Are you suggesting he *composed* it as HTML and then *sent* it as plaintext?

> It sounds like whatever mail reader you're using generates that sort of
> HTML out of the text you're getting...

I'm using Thunderbird version 1.6a1 (20051010), and the header for
Gerv's post says:

Boris Zbarsky

Oct 12, 2005, 9:15:48 AM10/12/05
to Peter Lairo
Peter Lairo wrote:

> But Gerv's post was *plaintext*, not HTML. :-\

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I'll second fantasai's $5 bet that Gerv did this
by hand. I do that all the time in email.

-Boris

fantasai

Oct 12, 2005, 11:29:16 AM10/12/05

/me too

~fantasai

Peter Lairo

Oct 12, 2005, 2:24:03 PM10/12/05
fantasai said on 11.10.2005 11:23:

Gerv: I'm not taking the bet, but I'd love to know how you did "it". ;-)
--
Regards,

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust: www.GetFirefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox: www.GetThunderbird.com

us...@domain.invalid

Oct 12, 2005, 10:57:15 PM10/12/05
> *Foundation*
>
> - Looking into additional items to sell in the Mozilla store

What about a stuffed red lizard...
I would buy one or two

Leonidas Jones

Oct 12, 2005, 10:58:05 PM10/12/05

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Maybe s stuffed SeaMonkey as well?

Lee

Daniel Herrera

Oct 12, 2005, 11:37:52 PM10/12/05

I don't think so, Seamoney is not a Mozilla product... and Mozilla's
mascot is still the red lizard.

hehe i'm us...@domain.nvalid i just forgt to change that into this account

dahem0n

Chris Ilias

Oct 12, 2005, 11:59:22 PM10/12/05
_u...@domain.invalid_ spoke thusly:

Coffee mugs.
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Netscape/Mozilla Links <http://ilias.ca>

Asa Dotzler

Oct 13, 2005, 1:24:32 AM10/13/05

Ben is still hard at work on Firefox. He and Darin, both at Google, have
contributed substantially to the Firefox Update system that's a big focus of the
1.5 release. They've also been fixing quite a few critical bugs outside of Update.

The "person" in charge of driving the 1.5 release is a combination of the
Michael Schroepfer, Chris Beard, Scott MacGregor, and myself -- with some help
from various other drivers.

- A

Michael Lefevre

Oct 13, 2005, 7:03:46 AM10/13/05

That didn't entirely answer the question of whether he is "dev lead". I
don't know a direct answer to that either, but in addition to the coding
work you mention, I know that a couple of key decisions about Firefox
changes have been left to Ben in the run-up to 1.5, so he is still the/a
key decision maker.

--
Michael

Robert Kaiser

Oct 13, 2005, 8:06:15 AM10/13/05
>> Maybe s stuffed SeaMonkey as well?
>
> I don't think so, Seamoney is not a Mozilla product...

Additionally, we don't yet know how "our" SeaMonkey does look (we have
narrowed down our selection of logos to a very small number already
internally, but have no decision yet)...

Robert Kaiser

Leonidas Jones

Oct 13, 2005, 10:59:16 AM10/13/05

On a side note, will there be a complete set of icons for windows in
the chrome/icon/default folder, or will the Mozilla icons continue to be
used?

Lee

Robert Kaiser

Oct 13, 2005, 11:09:35 AM10/13/05
Leonidas Jones schrieb:

> On a side note, will there be a complete set of icons for windows in
> the chrome/icon/default folder, or will the Mozilla icons continue to be
> used?

We will redesign the complete icon set to include some element of
SeaMonkey artwork, but we need the main app icon first, and it's quite
possible that the Beta won't have the whole set redesigned already,
though it will have the new app icon.

Robert Kaiser

Leonidas Jones

Oct 13, 2005, 11:51:57 AM10/13/05